PDA

View Full Version : slow day surf fishing

fishingboysdad
01-07-2015, 06:47 PM
so my son and i decided we would try some surf fishing today..we ended up getting to will rogers state beach around 12 pm..we tried tossing an lc for about 30 min. and no bites..maybe we r doing it wrong...we later switched to some gulp cammo and bloody sand worms and same result...we stayed there for about 2 hours and walked a up and down the beach...water was pretty calm..waves were pretty small...so we then decided to go to malibu and try fishing to the left of the pier with similar results...we ended up the day fishing from the pier and my kid beat the skunk with a 14 inch smelt that he hooked as we were getting ready to go...on a side note we did end up catching a glimpse of two women that were taking topless pictures of each other to the left of the pier

Double A
01-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the skunk buster smelt.
I read a lot of your posts.
You take your boy fishing a lot. I admire as much time you spend on the water with your son.
To go with your side note... I worked on the pier doing the restoration years ago.
I caught quite o few "glimpses" of the same thing.

fishingboysdad
01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Congrats on the skunk buster smelt.
I read a lot of your posts.
You take your boy fishing a lot. I admire as much time you spend on the water with your son.
To go with your side note... I worked on the pier doing the restoration years ago.
I caught quite o few "glimpses" of the same thing.
thanks doubleA...

anchor3n1
01-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Hi fishingboysdad:

You are my hero and a great parent in taking your boy out for a day with dad fishing:Envious: Those are the best times and will create lasting memories not only for your but especially for your son!!!!!!

As far as not catching much today, you kind of hit the surf at a pretty tough time for catching especially perch. They especially are active on both sides of the high tide and you were on the beach on the far side. Try checking out the tide tables (tides4fishing.com)and hitting the surf an hour or 2 before the HT and an hour or 2 after if you can next time.

keep taking your sone fishing,

Nick

fishingboysdad
01-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Hi fishingboysdad:

You are my hero and a great parent in taking your boy out for a day with dad fishing:Envious: Those are the best times and will create lasting memories not only for your but especially for your son!!!!!!

As far as not catching much today, you kind of hit the surf at a pretty tough time for catching especially perch. They especially are active on both sides of the high tide and you were on the beach on the far side. Try checking out the tide tables (tides4fishing.com)and hitting the surf an hour or 2 before the HT and an hour or 2 after if you can next time.

keep taking your sone fishing,

Nick

ok.thanks nick..i will check it out

bachiboy
01-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Way to go getting out there with your son and nailing the skunkbuster! x2 on what Nick advised, although it's not always easy to do with kids in tow. Seems like we fish around their schedules more than tide tables.:LOL: Keep it up and you'll get into them soon I'm sure.:Wink:

Don

fishingboysdad
01-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Way to go getting out there with your son and nailing the skunkbuster! x2 on what Nick advised, although it's not always easy to do with kids in tow. Seems like we fish around their schedules more than tide tables.:LOL: Keep it up and you'll get into them soon I'm sure.:Wink:

Don

Thanks don.we r going to big bear tomorrow thru Sunday and gonna try to get some trout...

flyngby
01-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Hey fellow dad!

We passed each other yesterday at my turn around point of my journey near the large concrete wall/drain and looks like the near beginning of yours at Will Rodgers. Both you and son were working it hard as we approached each other and I decided to give way to you two as I had just had some very limited success on putting 2 very short halibut on the sand after 2 hours of casting practice, and hoped that there were more for the taking on your behalf.

As you mentioned I also threw the LC, slow rolling Krocs, and several swim baits for nada and then switched to a Carolina rigged 2" Gulp "Cammo" on a very slow retrieve to get some perch action and was able to persuade the 2 little shorts to play. Go figure!

As others have said it is important to pay attention to the predicted conditions but sometimes we get out there when we can. Conditions were very nice with an out going low swell tide, limited wind, clear water, some bait presence, little to no weed but a high sun after a well lit moon night. That is a lot to take in when planning a trip!

Good luck up in the High Country tomorrow.

Steve

fishingboysdad
01-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Hey fellow dad!

We passed each other yesterday at my turn around point of my journey near the large concrete wall/drain and looks like the near beginning of yours at Will Rodgers. Both you and son were working it hard as we approached each other and I decided to give way to you two as I had just had some very limited success on putting 2 very short halibut on the sand after 2 hours of casting practice, and hoped that there were more for the taking on your behalf.

As you mentioned I also threw the LC, slow rolling Krocs, and several swim baits for nada and then switched to a Carolina rigged 2" Gulp "Cammo" on a very slow retrieve to get some perch action and was able to persuade the 2 little shorts to play. Go figure!

As others have said it is important to pay attention to the predicted conditions but sometimes we get out there when we can. Conditions were very nice with an out going low swell tide, limited wind, clear water, some bait presence, little to no weed but a high sun after a well lit moon night. That is a lot to take in when planning a trip!

Good luck up in the High Country tomorrow.

Steve

thanks steve..it was nice meeting u even if it was just briefly....kinda new to surf fishing but i try to take my boy as many times as i can as he loves to fish..its a lot of info to take into consideratioin, but like u said, sometimes we get out there when we can...hope to c u out there again sometime and we can share bigger fish counts...thanks for the good luck wishes for the High Country

jiramoquoi
01-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Pics of the two women of it didn't happen. :Big Grin:

fishingboysdad
01-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Pics of the two women of it didn't happen. :Big Grin:

haha..funny..pics r stored in my brain :Big Grin: