PDA

View Full Version : 1/7/15 - Good news and bad news

xjchad
01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
The good news is I caught more perch today.
The bad news is they weren't on the LC...

After my success with catching my first LC fish on Monday, I was excited to get back out and try some more today. Got to the beach before sunrise and walked to my spot in the moonlight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/xjchad/IMG_8134_zpsb45877fa.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xjchad/media/IMG_8134_zpsb45877fa.jpg.html)

Still had the LC on and ready so I started throwing it as soon as I got there.
After 4 or 5 casts and not hits I started thinking about and trying some of the techniques that you all had recommended to me in my last post. Couple more casts and still not takers. I was running out of time and had to get to work and got in to big of a rush when I screwed up. Trying to throw a hurried cast I got sloppy and my hand bumped the bail closed as I let her go... POP! Longest cast so far but my LC wasn't attached to the braid anymore :-(

That put me in a bad mood so I just walked back down the beach and headed to work. My one and only LC gone, and no extra funds for another for awhile. *sigh*

A really busy morning at work helped take my mind off of it and by lunch time I was ready to hook something. I remembered another lure I had that I got from amazon in hopes it would be a cheaper substitute for the LC.
It's a 5" Yo-Zuri Edge Minnow in sardine flash.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CUNDIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Head back to the same spot and start casting. Water is almost up to high tide and crystal clear. Third toss and it gets nailed. Really fat 10" perch that fought like a champ :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/xjchad/IMG_2759_zps915f766d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xjchad/media/IMG_2759_zps915f766d.jpg.html)

A few casts later I nailed another one!
The water was so clear I was able to see a few others follow it in too.
Then I started picking up a lot of eel grass so I switched over to the Gulp minnow and caught a few more smaller versions.

Still bummed that I lost my LC, especially the way it happened, but at least I seem to have found a good option till I can save up for another.

Once again, thank you everyone for all the great posts and advice!

skunked4life
01-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Hi xjchad!

Nice midweek report! I like the way perch hit the hard bait. A lot more exciting at the initial bite than when a halibut bites. I feel your pain in regards to the LC! Imagine losing around 20 in a season! A couple of us have! Anyways, aside from line test, knots, etc...the single most often story I hear about list lc's is the one you shared. Sooooo, don't feel bad. It is an expensive habit but you know, one less trip to the bar, one less pack of smokes or chew, one less dollar at the nudy bar all equal one step closer to a new lc! (Not that I am saying you do any of these things)

Believe me, your learning curve will get steeper in using lc's and you will lose a lot less and catch a lot more. Trust me.

Thanks for the report.

Skunked4life

remington
01-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Nice job and way to push forward after the lost LC. I've been there many times and it can be a emotional & financial loss, especially if it's a red hot bait that you believe in. Confidence in what you're throwing is paramount! I have a Stradic 2500 Ci4 that from time to time will close it's bail without ever even touching it, very strange? That being said, I always re-tie a fresh knot to my LC's before my next beach session. I haven't lost any more LC's when my Stradic does act up & I believe it's due to having a fresh knot tied to my LC. Great report and good luck on your next beach session!

Kelly

murrieta angler
01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Welllll,
At least you pulled in a fish...:Rolls Eyes:
Like Ken and Kelly wrote, it will get easier and you will lose less and less.
PM me when you get a chance.
Robert
<><

SP Dan
01-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi ya xjchad,

I still at times consider myself to be "the Grasshopper" when it comes to those with more experience and vast know-how!

When I first started out throwing the LC ... it wasn't long before I had lost my first one ... and it was totally devastating! :EyePop: ......
I wanted to stop buying the expensive LC's because I felt that I was throwing my hard earned $ money straight into the ocean .... :Sad: sigh!

But things began to change .... and once I beached my very first, second and third short Halibut on the LC ..... I became addicted to surf fishing ... the doctor said that I had developed a serious case of "OCFD"! Huh!!! ... and then my whole world changed :EyePop: from that moment on!
I became driven by forces unknown to me! I started joining fishing clubs and making friends with serious anglers that fished as intensively as I did! :EyePop: My head was spinning!!! My mind was always filled with .... where would I fish next!

As I've developed a deeper sense of reading the surf conditions and predicting where the fish might lay up in ambush .... I have also developed a different sense of fishing courage ... I find that I will now wade chest deep in the surf ... and at times welcoming waves that crash 2, 3, 4 feet above my head ... just to dentally cast way deep into the kelp beds for that opening, I bravely cast with confidence much tighter to and inside of treacherous boilers for the Halibut's ambush spots and at times scrapping the tops of reefs in search of my drug .... my targeted species ... for that one huge SLAM on the lure to happen!
I find that I would be willing to risk every LC I own in search of "The LEGAL!" Yes ... I've got it bad!

So .... if you are nervous about catching a bad case of the "OCFD" (Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder) ... stop now ... and hand over all of your LC's to me before it's too late. For me .... it's too late!

But if you've already been bit by "OCFD" ... I can help you! I have been medically trained!

Here is the prescription to ease your symptoms:

Step one: Go down to your favorite fishing hole at first gray light an make three precision fan cast.

If you don't feel an immediate sense of relief ... or a solid line pull ... please proceed to Step two.

Step two: Repeat Step one as many time as necessary until a calming comes over you! :ROFL: Ha ha ha!

The Moral of my long story: This was all because of the .... LC! You will never stop losing them!

Have a lot of fun, catch a lot of fish and CPR as often as you can .... Poseidon will reward you!

Thank you for your excellent fish report with pic! :Cool:

SP Dan ~~~~~ <"))><

anchor3n1
01-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Way to go out there xjchad!!! I have had the same experience with LCs. Not fun when they cost so much but it's a lesson that will get you throwing smarter and better next time.

Yup it is sure cool when the water is clear enough to see those perchies chasing the lure. Keep at it my friend and soon you will catch something bigger like a halibut.

I like your reports and watching you grow as a fisherman.

take care,

Nick

xjchad
01-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Skunked4life - Great ideas for saving up for the next LC! I don't really participate in those specific extra-curricular activities LOL, but great point and I'm sure I can skip some donuts and coffee! That'll help with getting a new lure, and get me in better shape for long hikes to good fishing spots ;)

Kelly - Nice to know I'm not the only one to make that mistake. I was pretty pissed at myself and swearing I was done buying them, but now I'm feeling the addiction and know I can't stay away LOL! I'll definitely be tying a new knot for every session! On that note, what knot do you guys usually use for braid? I've been tying it on with a palomar knot.

Robert - Thanks for the encouragement! I sent you a pm :)

SP Dan - LOL! That had me rolling! I think I'm definitely coming down with a case of OCFD. And if there's a cure, I don't want it! ;)
I was cursing the LC, and swearing I'd never buy another, but last night I raided my wife's purse for loose change :O

Nick - Thanks! Can't wait to catch my first halibut! I appreciate the encouragement, and it's only because of guys like you on this forum that I'm getting better and having so much fun!

Sure hope I get to fish with some of you guys eventually!

Chad

remington
01-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Hey Chad,

I love the Palomar knot as it's super easy to tie & very efficient. I can't stress how important is to maximize your allotted fishing time!!!!! :Wink:

Every second counts and the more casts you make the better the odds of catching fish. Whatever might slow you down (backlashes, line twists, failed knots, etc..) try to eliminate those obstacles and I can guarantee your fish count will improve dramatically.

This surf fishing hobby of ours is pretty cool, huh? I can tell you have the bug and it's beautiful. Just wait until you catch your first legal halibut on a LC, it only gets worse!

Good luck brother!

Kelly

bachiboy
01-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Bummer about the lost LC but glad you were able to regroup and get on some fish. The guys are right, losing LC's is bound to happen and never any fun but, like you found out, having some backup lures can keep you in the game. Keep them PBs coming. We'll be waiting anxiously to hear about all the success.:Wink:

Don

xjchad
01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Huge thank you to Wingnut too!
God bless you brother!

Wingnut
01-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Keep up the nice work out there... I'm sure we'll see plenty of fabulous reports from you in the near future... :Wink:

xjchad
01-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Arthur and Robert,
Thanks for the help! :)
I'm back in the LC game, no hookups yet, but the last week has been crazy starting escrow to sell our house and looking for a new place out here.
I'll get out there as much as I can, can't wait for my first hali!