PDA

View Full Version : The wood has defeated me again.

sealclubber
01-02-2015, 04:51 PM
So as of late I have had to work my *** off to catch mr. Stripey.
They seemed to be really timid last few weeks...
Early morning fishing new years day before sunup led to my first triple trout being used.....and iced up guides.I hurled it out a few times to admire its swim and on the third cast my pole was amazingly light followed by the worst birds nest ive ever seen...I looked out in time to see it wave at me before it hit the water. Dammit.
Any tricks to keeping ice off the guides?

DEVOREFLYER
01-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Wait for the Spring thaw?????????

Try this link. http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/tips-keeping-ice-fly-rod-guides/7711179

cutbait
01-02-2015, 06:02 PM
It is January after all

sealclubber
01-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Heard of using the pam before...
Thanks for the link....

parkermann2
01-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Would Pam do anything to mono? That was for fly fishing so it wouldn't do anything to fly line. I would spray some Pam on some mono and leave it overnight and test it to make sure it doesn't rot the mono. It would suck to have it rot mono and have another swimbait possibly fly off mid cast

Fishbones
01-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Windex, its good for everything. Lol
Jk. I don't know..has anyone tried wd40

seal
01-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Typical for a slow down at this point. Everybody's going deep except for the random swimbait fish things probably will stay on the downswing for a while. But I don't know for sure just got back from a vacation.

DEVOREFLYER
01-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Goin' out Monday with MO to troll the A-rig frog.......

Might also throw this Big boy for the first time.......

http://i.imgur.com/TJas8IG.jpg

cutbait
01-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Just talked with MO... sounds like you guys are pumped for Monday. Hope y'all get a bigger one

DEVOREFLYER
01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
MO said he was bringin' the BIG NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seal
01-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I like the spunk coming from you guys. Ok maybe the wrong word, I'll use gumption a word Devoreflyer can identify with. Go get um boys!

karlow
01-03-2015, 08:18 PM
So whats the problem, I fished the wood today, and I fished it about a week ago.
FYI it is stone butt cold up there! Today there was some snow on the sides, and in the shady spots.
I looks great! Last week there were some boils in the main lake section. I picked up a skooly on a KPN!
I got one double on the rig in the front section and I froze my A off!
Today I was back at it with Joe on the Gregor. There no more boils, I guess that was too much to hope for in the dead of winter after some snow. We tried for trout a bit. trolled some big stuff a bit for the big boys to no avail. The only thing working for me today was the rig. I caught fish in the front section, the main channel, and the main section of the lake. It was a decent day for the troll. I had a triple double on the rig today. We caught two limits on the troll, and were ghost by 2pm. Nothing big just schoolies. Two trips in row without getting hung on the bottom, yea! All the fish seem to be the same size.
Good luck out there guys, The fish are there, they are biting, and they were 20-30ft deep today. Happy hunting, and see ya on the water.

k

seal
01-04-2015, 07:06 AM
When writing responses I should always use the A rig caveat. I don't rake normally. As long as you find their depth they will always be there.

DEVOREFLYER
01-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Frogs rule that's all I gotta say..........WON is never wrong.....

sealclubber
01-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh btw...wd40 worked great....
For now no more ice...
Not certain if it was the smell but snagged me a catfish.

Fishbones
01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Good to hear the wd40 worked.
It was just a logical guess and never tried it, yet!

karlow
01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
You might wan to check with DFG about the use of WD40. I have been told they get very upset if they find you with wd40 at a lake. I might be a water contamination issue.

K