PDA

View Full Version : New year 1/2

P.A.W.
01-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Bunch of guys out this morning braving the cold. Nobody home shallow east end. Stripers were slow today. Got half a dozen strikes on the u-rig but only managed to stick one. Marked a bunch of bait and largemouth holding on deeper points and ledges. Transitional type locations. I did catch a 5 pound LMB trolling over one of those spots. So the best bet now is LMB on c-rig or dropshot. Water is around 55

fishing_freak
01-02-2015, 12:33 PM
hows the water level still low??

P.A.W.
01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Yup. Up a foot or two but still way down. No tulie cover for fish yet.

Askwhy
01-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Pat , looks like fishing at skinner is over until the middle of the year , we'll looks like a good time to put the boat away and take my engine in for service .

HawgZWylde
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Pat , looks like fishing at skinner is over until the middle of the year , we'll looks like a good time to put the boat away and take my engine in for service .

I ran into another DVL local at Skinner last Monday and he caught a few Stripey on spybaits and Darter heads. They're always there, just gotta give em what they want...

P.A.W.
01-03-2015, 02:54 PM
I ran into another DVL local at Skinner last Monday and he caught a few Stripey on spybaits and Darter heads. They're always there, just gotta give em what they want...Haha Hawgz. A few stripers in a day's fishing is not worth it for Askwhy. If he's not limiting he's not fishing. Kinda spoiled that way.

HawgZWylde
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Haha Hawgz. A few stripers in a day's fishing is not worth it for Askwhy. If he's not limiting he's not fishing. Kinda spoiled that way.

Ya but he wasn't targeting Stripey, he was targeting LMB. If he had been targeting Stripey he perhaps could have limited, which he nearly double limited on LMB's. But the way I look at it, and I think you do too is any day on the water beats not at all...

P.A.W.
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
I was just giving Askwhy a hard time, knowing he'd see this thread. I do love being out there no matter what. Don't know about Monday but I can tell you that nobody was limiting on Mr. Stripey on Friday. It was slooow for linesides. One here and one there. I asked around as I covered the lake.

HawgZWylde
01-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I was just giving Askwhy a hard time, knowing he'd see this thread. I do love being out there no matter what. Don't know about Monday but I can tell you that nobody was limiting on Mr. Stripey on Friday. It was slooow for linesides. One here and one there. I asked around as I covered the lake.

It's that dang buoy line Pat. They all go over to the dam where the Shad hang out in the rocks and eat in the deeper water. What I would give to fish the dam and the south and northwest coves on the other side...

P.A.W.
01-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Well I have fished the east most coves on the "other side". Line was down one day and let me tell you the LMB were totally fearless from lack of pressure. The dam was just too much in the open to chance that hehehehe. Anyway, I waws there again today 1/5. At 6:30 I was the only trailer in the lot. All the bait and bass that were holding off points on Friday were gone. !!?? I finally found a school and hit it for some stripers but it dispersed and that was it for me. I left at 10:30 so I can't say how things wound up as it got warmer. Still tough.

sweetfish
01-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Pat. It will be a couple of weeks before I head out again. Maintenance on the boat trailer and transom repair coming up.

P.A.W.
01-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Real good time to get it done! Shops aren't too full and the best fishing is still ahead.

HawgZWylde
01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Well I have fished the east most coves on the "other side". Line was down one day and let me tell you the LMB were totally fearless from lack of pressure. The dam was just too much in the open to chance that hehehehe. Anyway, I waws there again today 1/5. At 6:30 I was the only trailer in the lot. All the bait and bass that were holding off points on Friday were gone. !!?? I finally found a school and hit it for some stripers but it dispersed and that was it for me. I left at 10:30 so I can't say how things wound up as it got warmer. Still tough.

Lol, I keep hoping that I'd find that buoy line open, I'd chance hitting the cove too but you're right, the dam would definitely draw attention but dang man I'll bet there's some pigs over there.

As for the fishing that's what I learned about Skinner a long time ago. One day it's hot, the next it's like there's absolutely no fish in the lake. Then a day later it's on again. Can't wait till pre-spawn in late winter/early spring, for about a month I get on a killer blade bite at Skinner...

DBass
01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Hawgzwylde,

I have wondered why they have such a large portion by the dam buoyed off as well, i know the pump is there but have the bouyline so far away and along the whole dam!? why not just put the bouy around the pump area like DVL and other lakes?