PDA

View Full Version : fishing license question...

cambofisher
12-30-2014, 09:45 PM
I have two 15 year old nephews that will turn 16 this coming year. Was wondering if they have to purchase their fishing license when the calendar year turns or when they actually turn 16? Any input or help will be greatly appreciated. Don't want to get in trouble for not knowing. Thanks in advance.

fishingboysdad
12-30-2014, 09:59 PM
when they actually turn 16...then they will need license for the year(price the same no matter what time of year u buy it) or just buy 1 day license each time .if they r gonna fish more than 3 times after they turn 16,they r better off getting year license..

Cadillyak
12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
x2 on when they turn 16.

cambofisher
12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Thank you guys!!

BALLERONBUDGET
12-31-2014, 08:46 AM
i esp love the dfg law that if u tie ur kid's hook , cast for him and reel in his catch u need a license!!!!! wondering how strict dfg can be...... i heard a guy was fishing in drizzle rain @ hansen dam and took shelter under lifeguard tower 20ft away but in plain view... dfg threaten to give him ticket!!!!! same as people that ask me to try grunion run cuz heard its fun but i told them grab $50 license first , they said no way ca !!!!!!!

shinbob
12-31-2014, 09:49 AM
i esp love the dfg law that if u tie ur kid's hook , cast for him and reel in his catch u need a license!!!!!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but seems like if you tie on the hook, cast it out, and reel in the fish, then *you're* the one fishing, not the kid.

But what if you do just the first two, and let the kid reel in the fish? What exactly constitutes "fishing"?

When my daughters were younger, I would tie on the hook and cast out for them, since that was a little beyond their skill ability at the time, but they would set the hook and reel in the fish by themselves. I think I was in the clear as I always had a second rod stamp, but also wondered if a ranger saw us, who would they consider was doing the fishing.

DEVOREFLYER
12-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Comes down to the "Letter of the law" vs "Spirit of the law". Say the speed limit is 35mph and you get pulled over for 37mph, letter of the law says you broke the law and would be cited, officer using spirit of the law would give you a warning or ignore it.

BassinPLS
12-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but seems like if you tie on the hook, cast it out, and reel in the fish, then *you're* the one fishing, not the kid.

But what if you do just the first two, and let the kid reel in the fish? What exactly constitutes "fishing"?

When my daughters were younger, I would tie on the hook and cast out for them, since that was a little beyond their skill ability at the time, but they would set the hook and reel in the fish by themselves. I think I was in the clear as I always had a second rod stamp, but also wondered if a ranger saw us, who would they consider was doing the fishing.

shinbob,

I read a post on here a couple of years ago about a guy, his wife and kids were at Jenks Lake in the SB Mountains. The guys and his sons were fishing; but not the wife. One of his kids got hung up on the bottom; so he handed his pole to his wife so he could get his son's pole un-snagged. A DFG Officer was across the other side of the lake with binoculars watching them.

You guessed it...the DFG Office came over and asked to see all of their licenses. He showed the guy his and the DFG Officer asked to see his wife's license. The guy told the DFG Officer that she wasn't fishing, (didn't have a pole with her). The Officer said yes she was...I saw her from across the lake holding a pole! The wife got a ticket for fishing without a license, which is an outrageous fine now a days!! Let's hear it for the compassion shown by the DFG Officer....naaaawwwww!

shinbob
12-31-2014, 10:09 PM
shinbob,

I read a post on here a couple of years ago about a guy, his wife and kids were at Jenks Lake in the SB Mountains. The guys and his sons were fishing; but not the wife. One of his kids got hung up on the bottom; so he handed his pole to his wife so he could get his son's pole un-snagged. A DFG Officer was across the other side of the lake with binoculars watching them.

You guessed it...the DFG Office came over and asked to see all of their licenses. He showed the guy his and the DFG Officer asked to see his wife's license. The guy told the DFG Officer that she wasn't fishing, (didn't have a pole with her). The Officer said yes she was...I saw her from across the lake holding a pole! The wife got a ticket for fishing without a license, which is an outrageous fine now a days!! Let's hear it for the compassion shown by the DFG Officer....naaaawwwww!

Wow, that's crazy! I guess the reality is that if you even touch the pole, you'd better have a license!

BALLERONBUDGET
01-02-2015, 11:58 PM
I often see moms/grandparents with kid bring a fish pole fresh with wrapper to local pond or ocean. Wonder if dfg expects a kid to thread a worm or remove a 18treble from a pan fish to live anothr day. Heck I'll let the kid use my poles just to see the smiles. Thnk dfg gotta lighten up a bit. Boo hooooo sometimes