PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Whitney portals

Sparky70
10-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Took a drive up there today to let my Granddaughter and her friend fish that small pool...........Man, was it cold, the Falls at Whitney portals are almost totally frozen over.......forgot it is a holiday weekend, Wall to Wall people.......Ice on their pond was at least 1/4in, on the shoreline, but never the less some nice trout still being caught.
All in All had a lot of fun watching the little ones catching some fish. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg Madrigal
10-06-2007, 11:17 PM
WOW Sparky! Winters coming....ALREADY! :shock:

Thanks for the report.

GM

Sparky70
10-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Greg,
Heard that mammoth had 8in this past week.(Like Thurs.) :food:
Talked to a couple of Cycle riders in Lone Pine today heading south, they told me that they froze their Arse's off comming through MAMMOTH today.
Sparky70

Troutman65
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the post and report.

TM65

Mike274
10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Fished the area last weekend and confirm the 8" of snow. Stayed in Mammoth and hit a blizzard About 5 miles north of Bishop all the way to Mammoth. Fished Crowley Saturday morning in the Green Banks area with about 20 other tubers. Most everyone started dipping and stripping, or trolling streamers. Not much action had or seen. Most switched to midging including me. Caught 5 or 6 and lost as many, but overall not many caught from what I could see. Water temps dropped with the snow melt 5 to 6 degrees overnight.

Fished Upper Mammoth twin for the evening bite for a wonderful time. Many fish caught on a gnat with intermediate sinking line. About 20-25 in about 1.5 hours. Hit upper Mammoth twin again in the morning only to have 22 degree air temp and 37 degree water temp. Thin sheet of ice over 3/4 of the lake that was not there the evening before. Tubed out anyway and missed 2 or 3 strong bites on the gnat and caught a 3.5 lb fatty in full spawning colors on an Twin Lakes Special Bugger. A lot of fun on the fly rod.

In short very cold. Always trek up first weekend on October, but have never had it this cold. Wanted to do some of the upper lakes but needed chains to get to June Lake and both Tioga pass and Sonora Pass were closed. Maybe next year. Leaving to Convict for some conventional rod trolling tomarrow with a buddy. Sneakin' in the fly rod though. Will report when I get back.

Mike