PDA

View Full Version : striper hunting tips at the wood?

jarheadbill
12-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Heading over to the wood with hamdenst on Sunday ??

sealclubber
12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Stripers all migrated back up the duct.
just go enjoy the cold wind and grey skies.
I think it depends where youre at on the lake.
I fish the dam and northern areas 2 to 3 times a week.. still gettin bit on flukes and paddletails...small ones seem to be real close to shore...think small. ....3 to 4 inch baits.
Dont journey to the south side of the lake much so couldnt tell you whats going on over on that side.....
dress warm!

cutbait
12-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Stripers all migrated back up the duct.
just go enjoy the cold wind and grey skies.
I think it depends where youre at on the lake.
I fish the dam and northern areas 2 to 3 times a week.. still gettin bit on flukes and paddletails...small ones seem to be real close to shore...think small. ....3 to 4 inch baits.
Dont journey to the south side of the lake much so couldnt tell you whats going on over on that side.....
dress warm!

Wow, Seal has an admirer, or atleast protoge

sealclubber
12-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Aww come on now...i threw a tip out there And it is true....stripey all migrated up the duct toward the 15 where all the tourists stop and feed them fries from in n out.

HawgZWylde
12-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Hmm, I thought he was chasing seal around all his spots beating him on the head with his swimbait rod and stealing said spots...

HawgZWylde
12-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Aww come on now...i threw a tip out there And it is true....stripey all migrated up the duct toward the 15 where all the tourists stop and feed them fries from in n out.

Lol, the Jalapeno's in the little plastic packs from there work better...

Fishbones
12-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Lol, the Jalapeno's in the little plastic packs from there work better...

of course they do,
they're very close in color to chartreuse lol

seal
12-14-2014, 11:03 AM

The pride I'm feeling right now cannot be measured! There is hope.

seal
12-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Hmm, I thought he was chasing seal around all his spots beating him on the head with his swimbait rod and stealing said spots...

They are gone now. Trout plant happened too early in the week for the spot stealers and then it got cold and rainy. They were gone only me and a friend were out there plying the waters on the coldest most dismal day of the year so far.

I love the cold, snow, rain, hail, tornado's (So Cal's becoming the next tornado alley don't ya know, global warming I'm sure) the crazier the better, keeps out the riff raff.

Sealclubber's ok to follow me around, soon he'll realize though that I'm just another shmuck tossing swimbait's till I need surgery (who else on here suffers from swimbaititis?) with no real clue when or where their going to hit.

Surfnsnowboard3
12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Does anybody want to answer the original posters questions instead of hijacking his thread? Geez.

seal
12-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Does anybody want to answer the original posters questions instead of hijacking his thread? Geez.

Sure I could but he needs to narrow his question down a bit. From boat or shore? Bait fisherman or lures? Searching for schoolies or is he after the swimbait bite (don't expect much advise on this one just cast)?

In general the school size fish are slowing down but are still hitting both topwater and small lures, yes what sealclubber said is true the bait is still on the small side, certainly more silversides than shad (he did give an answer by the way). All the usual spots are still the usual spots, the dam, chemise, twin coves, cleghorn and miller all putting out (miller is still a bit choked with weeds but that should change with the incoming water, yes creeks are running).

If he is looking for A rig type fish I'll defer to the raker's expertise all I know is I hear frogs seem to be the hot ticket.

When general questions like this are posed they are extremely difficult to answer, narrowing it down helps a bit that is the only reason I didn't answer and I think more didn't answer. Being that it's mid December his window of opportunity at Silverwood is closing fast although this year the topwater bite has gone on longer than most years with schoolies still doing their thing just before dark and into the dark.

New gig snowsurfboard3? I never pictured you as a thread cop type.

cutbait
12-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Awe just when we wondered where you and your crying went.. good to see ya back

fishinone
12-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Fish with French Fries then! This is easy!

No! :Cool:

Stormcrow
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
does it snow at Silverwood?

seal
12-15-2014, 11:49 AM
does it snow at Silverwood?

Yes many years I've hiked back into spots near knee deep in snow.

Surfnsnowboard3
12-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Awe just when we wondered where you and your crying went.. good to see ya back

Miss you too buddy

inthroughtheocean
12-17-2014, 05:18 PM
What's a good set up for flukes and paddletails?

seal
12-18-2014, 05:54 AM
Scrounger heads or darter heads. If you are talking about rod, reel and line combo I throw them with spinning gear 6-8lbs test, it is possible you will get into a bigger fish but most will be school size and easy to handle on lighter gear, makes it more fun. Also with bait being small an extremely effective rig can be a water bubble, long leader and a mini fluke or similar bait on a crappie jig head, very slow retrieve with pops on the rod.

Easy stuff to rig and very effective.

inthroughtheocean
12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Awesome. Thanks!