PDA

View Full Version : Which technique/lure should I work on next?

xjchad
12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
So I'm getting pretty confident fishing the Carolina rig with crack. Caught three more BSP this morning in five casts.
I want to start working on a new technique/lure to expand my skill set.
I'd like to still be able to catch some BSP (but bigger ones) but I'd also like to have a better chance at catching some other species also.
Here's what I'm thinking of trying next.
1. Drop shot rig with crack, or other plastics (recommendations please?)
2. Kastmaster
3. Swimbait on leadhead
4. Krocodile

Please keep in mind I'm only fishing in the Carpinteria areas.

basshole1
12-09-2014, 10:46 AM
So I'm getting pretty confident fishing the Carolina rig with crack. Caught three more BSP this morning in five casts.
I want to start working on a new technique/lure to expand my skill set.
I'd like to still be able to catch some BSP (but bigger ones) but I'd also like to have a better chance at catching some other species also.
Here's what I'm thinking of trying next.
1. Drop shot rig with crack, or other plastics (recommendations please?)
2. Kastmaster
3. Swimbait on leadhead
4. Krocodile

Please keep in mind I'm only fishing in the Carpinteria areas.

Hey xjchad, congrats on the BSP scores.

1. Drop shot, try zoom flukes in albino and white w/ chartreuse tail. The 4" variety.
2. Kastmaster, Depending on conditions, I like sticking with gold or silver.
3. Krocodile, can't go wrong with the 5/8 oz in green or blue mac.
4. Swimbait, 1/4 oz. lead head with a 3" big hammer of your choosing. Bass Assasin Sea Shads work awesome as well.
5. DON'T FORGET THE LC, it will open up new worlds for you my friend.

In regards to 3 and 4, slow rolling those lures have produced better sessions for me. However, just like in any fishing situation, it all depends on what they want that particular day. Utilizing the LC correctly will take some practice. But once you've familiarized yourself with that lure, it will be magical. :Big Grin:

There are some serious pros on this site so I'm sure others will chime in. Hope this little piece of information helps. Enjoy your time on the sand!!!

xjchad
12-09-2014, 01:16 PM
I guess what I meant was which should I try working on next.
I definitely want to improve my skills in all areas and be able to use each when it is the best option.
I'm just trying to get some ideas of which is the most versatile or most important to try next?
Since most of my sessions are short, I'd rather spend the whole time working on one technique instead of trying 4 or 5 different things for 5 minutes each. especially since there's lost time changing rigs.
I realize this will result in more skunks since that technique may not be the best at that particular time, but at least I will work on the how I'm using it.
Does this make sense?

Today on my lunch break I threw the Krocodile (blue mack) and got skunked. But I did feel as though I was casting better, and getting a better feel for how it worked by the time I had to leave. Of course maybe I was doing it totally wrong since I didn't catch anything LOL!

DockRat
12-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I threw the Krocodile (blue mack)

That is a good choice. Cast far then let it sink to the bottom.
Reel in at a medium/slow speed.
Chrome/blue Kastmaster too.
DR

Basspass
12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey chad,

Not sure if you fish from a boat or not, but my vote went for dropshot. I chose it because it produces consistently and in a wide range of conditions. You can adjust the length of line between your hook and weight depending on forage you plan to imitate. I don't think I've ever tried it from surf, but from boat or shore it has done well for me.

You can catch in freshwater too- if you find yourself on a friends boat or whatever.

Almost forgot to mention that the versatility of the dropshot allows you to fish super slow if the conditions required it.