PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor-Friday 10/5

Deceiver
10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Late report, but better late than never.

I was out in a rental skiff on Friday. All they had at the bait barge were 7-8" sardines. Took them as it was all they had. Wind was up early and I heard that the 3/4 day Long Beach boats were turning back from their Catalina runs to fish inside...too shotty out to make the crossing I guess. Made some wind-driven drifts by the bait barge for lots of short biters...baits were chewed up to about the 1/3-1/2 way mark inspite of letting them chew. Got two to stick, both fish were White seabass. Landed the first, about 20-21". Had the second to the boat when "Bobo" showed up...fish freaked and took off under the boat..."POP"...bye bye Sebastian. Got tired of getting blown :shock: and moved into the harbor...more sheltered. Found three 4" sardines in the tank. All three were bit on the drift, all three were hook-ups. Two to the boat and farmed one. Both nice Spotties. Also found some small (4-5") Spanish macks in the tank. Got a good bite on one of the smaller models...let him eat for what felt like a decade, swing, BIG bendo! Wound up my biggest Spottie to date...guessing 3 lbs...which means 2.5lbs at best! :P Out of bait...except for a few big sardines, so I try the plastic. It was hard to maintain bottom contact with the fast drift on the small leadheads I had. Switched to a Carolina rig and "shad" colored worms. Got another 6 small Spotties in about as many drifts...eel grass beds was the ticket. Called it a day to avoid the full day rental fee.

calico killer kevin
10-06-2007, 08:32 PM
White Sea Bass in Newport Harbor?

Nice! Way to put the hurtin on them NPH fish! :D

Deceiver
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Yup. They're pretty common in there. The two I got were out in the main chanel near the bait barge. I understand there is a seabass grow-out pen in the harbor as well.

Thanks for the kind words, it was a fun day.

Troutman65
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Nice going on your catch out there.

Thanks for the report.

Troutman65

SanDimasLMB
10-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Nice! Way to put the hurtin on them NPH fish! :D

Yes very common catches. Tehy raise them in pens around Newport Harbor

Greg Madrigal
10-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Excellent report! Congrats on the PB Spotty!

GM

Deceiver
10-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Excellent report! Congrats on the PB Spotty!

GM
Yeah, I wish I had my camera with me. Had my cell phone and didn't even think to use it!?! :oops: