PDA

View Full Version : Peck Road Lake Report/Questions

WCAngler
11-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Hello Fellow Anglers,

Went to Peck Rd. Lake this evening. Got skunked, but saw a few interesting things:

*Two homeless people getting it on in the bushes......

*A lot of carp were jumping out of the water.

*And the water level is extremely low.

As I walked down to the water I noticed that the small channel that connects the two main parts of the lake was gone. Now Peck Road Lake is two lakes!

I fished the left half of the lake using a three-way swivel. One for homemade dough bait, and one for garlic powerbait. I only got one bite, but he threw the hook before I could set it. I moved after an hour of no action and didn't get bit at the new location. I switched to a crankbait and threw it around the timber. Again, no action, but it's the carp that I want to get my hands on.

What technique, tackle, and location would you recommend for carp at Peck Road?

~WCAngler

carpanglerdude
11-30-2014, 09:38 AM
I haven't fished Peck for carp, but my go-to-rig for carp is a hair rig with sliding sinker with various doughball/tortilla/bread concotions. It's a little tricky to tie at first but there are many excellent tutorials available for it.
Finally, if you are going to fish for bass and carp (one rod waiting for carp, one rod for bass if you have two-pole stamp), get a bite alarm or bell at least. You'll be able to concentrate more on the bass but quickly respond to the carp.

bassfishing24/7
11-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Peck is a tough place to crack....most of the local poachers have fished out a lot of the carp,catfish & bass...the dfg has also skipped from stocking the lake....not looking good....

yotataco
12-02-2014, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=bassfishing24/7;749396]Peck is a tough place to crack....most of the local poachers have fished out a lot of the carp,catfish & bass...the dfg has also skipped from stocking the lake....not looking good....[/QCarolina Agree. This use to be my go to lake. I would over look the trash , home made shelters and the feeling you would get mugged because the fishing was great back in the days. For carp, I would use a carolina rig with flourencarbon leader. 10lbs would do. Size 4 or smaller mosquito hook. Homemade dough balls, tortillas and masa for tortillas work here.

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
[/QCarolina Agree. This use to be my go to lake. I would over look the trash , home made shelters and the feeling you would get mugged because the fishing was great back in the days. For carp, I would use a carolina rig with flourencarbon leader. 10lbs would do. Size 4 or smaller mosquito hook. Homemade dough balls, tortillas and masa for tortillas work here.

I agree, those flourencarbon leaders always get the carp to bite.

Stormcrow
12-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Try a size 18 or 20 treble hook on 4 lb test. Make a doughball using flour and corn masa and just enough water to make it stay on the hook. Fly-line it out as far as you can and let the pole sit on the ground with the bail open. Toss a teaspoon of canned corn out in the general area. Wait patiently and watch the line. :-)

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Toss a teaspoon of canned corn out in the general area.

Is that considered chumming?

Mr T-rex
12-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Is this considered trolling ??

Is that considered chumming?

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Is this considered trolling ??

Naw, that's fine. If people want to throw chum out to attract freshwater fish, it's all good in my book. I'm just asking if it's legal.

Mr. T Rex, can you do some research and find that out for us?

Stormcrow
12-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Naw, that's fine. If people want to throw chum out to attract freshwater fish, it's all good in my book. I'm just asking if it's legal.

Mr. T Rex, can you do some research and find that out for us?

I don't believe it is legal...But legality was not part of the discussion....until now...

And yet another thread is derailed.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
12-03-2014, 12:07 PM
breaking the law breaking the law

ToadsToadsOnly
12-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Sorry Mr. Officer I was just feeding the ducks with tortilla and corn.. Wait! Feeding the ducks is also illegal I have never heard of anyone sited for doing that.

DarkShadow
12-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't believe it is legal...But legality was not part of the discussion....until now...

And yet another thread is derailed.

My bad for letting people know what you suggested is against the law.

WCAngler
12-06-2014, 05:23 PM
I haven't fished Peck for carp, but my go-to-rig for carp is a hair rig with sliding sinker with various doughball/tortilla/bread concotions. It's a little tricky to tie at first but there are many excellent tutorials available for it.
Finally, if you are going to fish for bass and carp (one rod waiting for carp, one rod for bass if you have two-pole stamp), get a bite alarm or bell at least. You'll be able to concentrate more on the bass but quickly respond to the carp.

What size hook would you recommend? Size 8 or 6? Do you prefer a certain type of hook?

~WCAngler