PDA

View Full Version : Winter Targets

Pecci
11-24-2014, 11:47 AM
As our so-called winter season approaches, what are some of the more promising species, along our coast & in our bays? I'd like to plan some local trips on those warm/still days we have.

bones
11-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Rockfish from the boats or perch from the sand. Occasional halibut can be caught also but that is really hit or miss. Pretty much depends on water temps and stability. More often than not the front side of a low pressure system kicks the chew in the azzzzzzzz.
Winter is also a really good time to organize your gear and do some FW trout fishing to get your fishing fix and also target the striped bass that feed off of the trout. Just sayin.........:ROFL:

titos334
11-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Well currently the sport boats are still whacking YT pretty good and rockfish is always on the menu until the end of the year. Winter is a fantastic time for spotties in the harbors as well as the croaker species and halibut can be really good too, locally for me Corbina are still in the surf! If you have your own boat or a way onto a private boat calicos and sand bass fishing stays decent just the bite moves to deeper water stones than in the kelp.

Pecci
11-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Well currently the sport boats are still whacking YT pretty good and rockfish is always on the menu until the end of the year. Winter is a fantastic time for spotties in the harbors as well as the croaker species and halibut can be really good too, locally for me Corbina are still in the surf! If you have your own boat or a way onto a private boat calicos and sand bass fishing stays decent just the bite moves to deeper water stones than in the kelp.

Yeah I do have a boat. Very helpful info. Thank you! ideally, I'd love to have a line soaking while going for bugs.

titos334
11-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah I do have a boat. Very helpful info. Thank you! ideally, I'd love to have a line soaking while going for bugs.

Well then you're set! There is some great fishing going on in various areas and looks like it should keep up! The winter storm will hopefully get the bugs moving and maybe the winter will be better for them since it's been pretty spotty at times.

Brian_GSC
12-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Typically, spots that hold bugs will also hold fish. If you're fishing on rock piles, either send down a dropper loop with some squid strips, or toss out some rubber for bass.

Pecci
12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys. Due to my bad back, I haven't had many opportunities. Hopefully, it'll improve soon.

carpanglerdude
12-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Cold weather good for surf perch, or should I wait until it warms in the spring?

titos334
12-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Cold weather good for surf perch, or should I wait until it warms in the spring?

It's almost always good for surf perch. They really only live in the surf and don't move other places like the croakers.