PDA

View Full Version : DFW Trout Plant?

Baja1ab
11-24-2014, 08:45 AM
DFW website shows a scheduled trout plant for this week of 11/23. I sent Perris State Park staff a PM via Facebook asking for more info. They responded quoting some cookie-cutter language which states that DFW reserves the right to cancel said plant due to weather, road conditions, blah, blah and that they do not announce the days, as to not create an influx of fishing activity.

I asked if they would be announcing the plant after to confirm that it took place. They said no, for the above reason...

Huh? So, why do they put them in? To keep the other fish company?

I'm sort of the new kid on the block so maybe you vets can tell me if this is the norm. The funny part is I'm not even interested in catching them. I'm just thinking I might throw a swimbait a little more this week. That's all.

Anyway, any intel is appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

seal
11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
The fish you are targeting will hit swimbaits even when there isn't a plant, but you may have to work harder for it.

I've changed, use to think they should post when they plant, these days I'm glad they don't. The lake staff are spending more time answering calls from swimbait guys than anything else, soon there will be an edict go out that THEY will not answer questions related to fish stocking if it keeps up I'm afraid. Hell they almost have to staff one person to retrieve all the damn calls!

They put the trout in for people to catch them, not so it makes it easier for swimbaiter's to catch stripers and largemouth.

DEVOREFLYER
11-24-2014, 09:14 AM
They put the trout in for people to catch them, not so it makes it easier for swimbaiter's to catch stripers and largemouth.

Screw them swimbaits Frogs Rule............. lol

seal
11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Joe here's a bit of advice for you. They will stock before Thanksgiving, so that only leaves 3 days. Mondays typically they don't plant, that should leave only 2 days.

seal
11-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Screw them swimbaits Frogs Rule............. lol

The swimming kind A rigged, you don't want to mislead the masses Devore.

Baja1ab
11-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Seal - First, I really do appreciate your response and insight. Just like looking into the weather conditions and other variables, I'm trying to gather intel prior to heading out, like any angler would do. I have only thrown a swimbait very occasionally, so I probably don't fit the "swimbait guy" criteria, but I'd like to increase my chances of course.

With my career and a wife and two little ones that play just about every sport imaginable I still try to cram in as much fishing as possible. Unfortunately for me that can sometimes mean once a week or once ever other week. While that may be far more often than others it is far less than some of you so when I go I'm really trying to put it all together prior.

I moved here from Kansas as a kid and would go back frequently over the years and fish with friends and family. My dad's current full time residence is on the Lake of the Ozarks which I have also fished hundreds of times. Fishing back home vs here in CA is so incredibly different. While the lakes back home receive far less fishing pressure, I would not necessarily say they are any easier to fish. The weather can change by the hour and most often the lakes are quite a bit bigger.

At the beginning of this year I started renting boats at DVL and fell back in love with bass fishing and this past summer I purchased a bass boat. I've introduced 2 close friends to the sport (1 who just bought a boat as well) who had never bass fished prior. More important to me, I have introduced my kids (daughter 9 and son 6) to it and they love it. My 6yo will hit the water w me at 6am and be pissed that we are leaving at 6pm!

Ok, so to end my rant I will just say that so much about fishing in CA is different than other states which is what prompted my post. Again Seal, I do appreciate your insight and look forward to learning a whole lot more from this forum. Especially the A-rigged frog set up. I already have that tied and ready to go. :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

seal
11-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Joe never take me serious is the first thing. Secondly you are right Cali. is a different animal! In Nevada they use to publish not only the day of the plant but also how many pounds and the size of the fish after the fact. I always thought Cali. should do the same. But without giving my opinion of why (which would get me in trouble I'm sure) I have grown to understand the reasoning for not publicizing the day of the plant. Now why the hell they don't announce afterward the poundage and day of the plant I think has a lot to do with fear of lawsuits. See they are SUPPOSED to plant fish according to a certain percentage of the moneys collected from licensing fees but they, at least in recent years, have not come anywhere near that number, they've admitted as much. There is other stuff driving it for sure but just chalk it up to California being California!

Go get um!

DEVOREFLYER
11-24-2014, 11:43 AM
l There is other stuff driving it for sure but just chalk it up to Comifornia being Comifornia!

Go get um!

Fixed it for ya............:Shocked:

Gobigal
11-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Baja1ab -

FYI, when the CDFW posts scheduled trout plant dates on their website it's always "the week of" and a Sunday. Our standard 7-day week consists of Monday through Sunday. So, when they posted the week of 11/23/14. it was scheduled for a trout plant any day from Monday, 11/17/14, through Sunday, 11/23/14. Thus, if they scheduled a trout plant for "the week of 11/30/14", then it would be for this week, up to Sunday 11/30/14.

Hope this helps.

Big Al.

Hoot951
11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
I'll be out there tomorrow morning looking for bass and trout. I'll let you know how it goes. As for the DFW trout plant schedule I seen them plant plus and minus four days from the day they post. I've even seen them plant trout when its not even scheduled.

jw4Bassing
11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Baja1ab -

FYI, when the CDFW posts scheduled trout plant dates on their website it's always "the week of" and a Sunday. So, when they posted the week of 11/23/14. it was scheduled for a trout plant any day from Monday, 11/17/14, through Sunday, 11/23/14.

"NO".... You got it all wrong. CDFW posts the date on a Sunday for there planned weekly stockings meaning that the lake will be planted with trout anyday of the week from 11/24 (Mon) - 11/28 (Fri). Since this week is "Thanksgiving" on 11/27 (Thur.), most likely the stocking will take place within any of the (3) days from 11/24 - 11/26..... Hope this clears it up and Good Luck out there.

Tightlines

fishntime38
11-25-2014, 01:49 PM
So the question is.... has there been a candy bar stocking?

Hoot951
11-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I got skunked today. I even used my go-to rig to just catch a fish and nadda.

wildlife
11-26-2014, 08:15 AM
If you ask CDFW a question , your answer will be copied from the regulations . I've asked about specific species at specific locations , they could of said yes or no and given the regulation but don't . They leave it up to your interpretation of the regulation .

Tom
11-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom
12-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Ixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fishingboysdad
12-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Baja1ab -

FYI, when the CDFW posts scheduled trout plant dates on their website it's always "the week of" and a Sunday. Our standard 7-day week consists of Monday through Sunday. So, when they posted the week of 11/23/14. it was scheduled for a trout plant any day from Monday, 11/17/14, through Sunday, 11/23/14. Thus, if they scheduled a trout plant for "the week of 11/30/14", then it would be for this week, up to Sunday 11/30/14.

Hope this helps.

Big Al.

Actually the plant occurs the week following the scheduled fish plant..if it says week of 11/23, then the plant occurs sometime between 11/24-11/28....for example,castaic lake and pyramid were scheduled the week of 11/09 and they got stocked on 11/14

fishingboysdad
12-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes the stocking issue is.getting kinda bad.I emailed the dfw today wondering why the l.a. lakes(castaic,pyramid,Hansen dam) r not on the schedule..they only had one stocking and that was the week of 11/09 and the dfw scheduled trout plants are thu 12/14 and nothing scheduled for the la lakes

Tom
12-01-2014, 06:18 PM
[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GhettoBasster
12-01-2014, 08:26 PM
i have no issue with the lack of stocking if we reduce all fees towards the stocking on tackle and Licenses

Don't hold your breath ..... http://napavalleyregister.com/sports/columnists/guy-carl/california-seeking-to-raid-fishing-license-funds/article_84e1c251-b27c-5f97-b277-93c5e91811fc.html

BassinPLS
12-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Don't hold your breath ..... http://napavalleyregister.com/sports/columnists/guy-carl/california-seeking-to-raid-fishing-license-funds/article_84e1c251-b27c-5f97-b277-93c5e91811fc.html

GhettoBlaster,

Thank you for the "heads up"!

I just emailed everyone in my bass club a link to the article and a suggestion they email the Fish & Game Game Commision to express their concerns about the proposed action! The State of California already diverts, (STEALS), too much money from funding sources to use on PET Projects. The politicians do not have discretional use of this money; but they do it anyway! Maybe it is time to hold them personally accountable for these illegal acts!!

I'll get off of the soap box now!

Tom
12-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GhettoBasster
12-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. Yup smaller swimbaits.

HawgZWylde
12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
well guys i received a reply from DFW
stocking for 2015

1) less trout to be stocked
2) smaller trout to be stocked
3) equipment breakdowns limiting stocks
4) lack of funds
5) drought affecting the hatcheries
6) lack of Funds
7) tripliods I assume cost
8) fuel cost
9) invasive species monitoring

they are in a plant and grow phase 1/4 pound fish to the pound at this time
( buy smaller swim baits)

so unless we go to the capital and do a peaceful protest.... we get Not much but back talk

Tom

Peaceful? Why can't we do it like they do in Ferguson? Holder won't charge us will he?

Misfitdog
12-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the update Tom , its kind of weird there saying the tripliods grow slower . because everything you read says they grow extremely fast . Btw I see they have Perris listed for a plant this week . more then likely due to them delaying last week.

Tom
12-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DEVOREFLYER
12-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Peaceful? Why can't we do it like they do in Ferguson? Holder won't charge us will he?

The "Peaceful" thing will never work we need to go "Full Ferguson" on them or just stay home...........

ps: Pat clear your mail box and turn on your phone.:Sad:

Tom
12-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GhettoBasster
12-02-2014, 05:06 PM
LOL we are not allowed the truth as to why

now hands up please

Update just found this a study of Triploids.....they may still upset spawning runs

Triploid Trout:
I was recently very surprised to learn that Triploid Trout can develop gonads. What
exactly is Triploid Trout or Salmonids then and what are the benefits of using them in
aquaculture production systems?
Triploid trout are also known as 3N
or sterile trout. Triploids are infertile and thus
remove
the risk of genetic interaction with wild stocks in waters where they are
introduced for recreation purposes. Male triploids may still develop functional gonad
tissue and may participate in spawnin
g behavior, which could interfere with
reproduction of wild stock. Female triploids do not develop mature gonads and do not
exhibit spawning behavior. This reduces the potential for harmful interaction with
spawning wild fish, and increases somatic growth
and over
-
winter survival. Female
triploids in an aquaculture production system will have better flesh quality
for
instance
color at harvesting
as compared to diploids.
You can produce triploid trout by fertilizing the
normal
green trout eggs with normal
sperm and then heat shocking the eggs to induce polar body retention. Triploid fish
contain three sets of chromo
somes. One
-
half of the fish will be XXY, or triploid
males, and one
-
half will be XXX, or triploid females. Both males and females should
be ste
rile. To produce triploid fish simply fertilize the eggs with normal sperm, wait 10
minutes, and then heat shock the eggs, either at 29
°
C for 10 minutes or at 26
°
C for
20 minutes. Triploid males will probably show more gonadal development than
triploid f
emales. Gonads from a mature
triploid male may appear similar to those of a
normal fish except they will be smaller and will not produce sperm. Gonadal
development should be inhibited in triploid females. Triploid females should have
string like gonads. Go
nads of both triploid males and females can be compared to
those of normal males if they are sexed at around six months of age. All Female
Triploids are normally produced to limit any form of gonad development.
Development rates appear very similar, until
the onset of sexual maturity in All
Female/diploid trout. It is difficult to differentiate visually between triploids and
diploids, particularly when both are immature. Diploids will develop spawning
coloration, and the males develop kypes, when they matur
e whereas triploids will
maintain their non
-
mature appearance.
You might be concerned
about whether triploids are “genetically modified
organisms”. No, they are not because
no genes were introduced
at all. A genetically
modified organism (GMO) or genetica
lly engineered organism (GEO) is an organism
whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques.
These techniques, generally known as recombinant DNA technology, use DNA
molecules from different sources, which are combined into on
e molecule to create a
new set of genes. This DNA is then transferred into an organism, giving it modified or
novel genes. Genetically modified organisms
thus
have had specific changes
introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering techniques
. These tech
niques are
much more precise than mutagenesis (mutation breeding) where an organism is
exposed to radiation or chemicals to create a non
-
specific but stable change. Other
techniques by which humans modify food organisms include selective breeding (plant
br
eeding and animal breeding).
Triploid individuals should have one
-
third more DNA
in their cells because they have three sets of chromosomes, compared with two sets
in normal diploid animals. You can buy expensive equipment that can measure the
amount of DN
A in an individual’s blood cells, but the easiest way to verify that triploid
animals have been produced is to sex them by dissection after they’re six months old

Important question. If I eat triploid trout, will I finally grow a pair and tell my wife I'm going to fish whenever I want to?

DEVOREFLYER
12-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Holy Sheet ya tellin' me that them Triploid Trout are Liberals, males with small balls and females with balls. Say it ain't so.

twin22s
12-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe they should start a bass stocking program instead, then we can all repaint our swim baits green and white with black spots.

But on a more serious note with all the problems in California I'm just glad to still be able to go fishing. It seems things get worse every year but maybe they will get better, at least its raining...

Our money needs to go to the right places for sure here is my view,
To do list for the angling activist.
1. Increase the water quality of our fishing waters, from city parks to large reservoirs.
2. Improve education and enforcement of existing fish and game regulations.
3. Stock more fish and possibly new species.
4. Tailor the regulations for individual waters in a way best suited for each.

Tom
12-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx