PDA

View Full Version : Die Off At HB Central Park

Stinkbait
11-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Walking the dog tonight saw about 30+ dead common carp from single digit pounds to pushing 10 or more.
Not to worry though, I saw no bass, cats, bluegill, or crappy dead.

I don't know if this a good or bad thing. I thought carp could live in tougher conditions than bass. Which may mean there are no longer any decent size bass in there......Or, the water turned over so fast the carp were caught on the bottom and suffocated.

Don't know if it will ever be the same since they let it dry up to a puddle several years back.

bendopolo2004
11-23-2014, 09:01 AM
If the carp are dead....every fish is dead. I've seen Goldfish swimming happily among the dead fish in large die-off. Catfish seem resilient too. When they die off the water quality must have reached a low point. There has also been a problem in this area with Golden Algae. Same effect as Red Tide in the ocean. Weaken the fish with toxin and use up all the oxygen at night. Mission Viejo, Dove Canyon, Laguna Niguel have all been hit in recent months, with a resulting large fish kill. It has been mentioned that this organism thrives in a slightly saline condition. As these lakes all have periods of not much fresh water coming in and all distilled water evaporating out, raises the salinity of the water. We need rain....

DarkShadow
11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
If the carp are dead....every fish is dead.

Unless of course, its a disease that affects only the carp, but Im sure that never has happened before.

Stinkbait
11-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Nah, I caught LMBs this season and saw none dead.

Darin Martinez
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I walked the shoreline of the lake with my four year old son on Sunday and saw multiple large dead carp, but no other species of fish. Carp die offs are not that uncommon. The fact that I saw no other species of dead fish leads me to believe that whatever is killing these fish, is detrimental to the carp, and carp only (unless of course there are no other species of fish left in the lake). I am curious to know what the biologists have/will come up with on this bizarre phenomena.

DarkShadow
11-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Unless of course, its a disease that affects only the carp, but Im sure that never has happened before.

Oh wait:

Herpes Simplex Carp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi_herpes_virus

They should find a way to weaponize that and "thin the herd" in our bodies of water. A virus that only affects carp?! And they say prayers are rarely answered.

smokehound
11-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Yes, die-offs of carp like this tend to be koi herpes virus, spread by careless people releasing their fish into park lakes!

Bucket
12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Ive caught several large carp from there this year along with smaller ones. They were also spawning pretty well this spring. They had a die off last year in fall alot of big catfish,carp died.including bass on the smaller side.looking at tge lake now its fallen by 3 to 4 ft . Lets not forget the bird **** messing up the water.im not surprised if several carp die. Those bird probably ate tge reat of them.the la j e has tons of carp

smokehound
12-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Some people carelessly use and chum with tiger nuts, which when raw, are ridiculously toxic to carp. I see it all the time at mile square...

DarkShadow
12-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Some people carelessly use and chum with tiger nuts..

I usually chum with rhinoceros penis.

Stinkbait
12-10-2014, 06:36 PM
DS, you have a problem ��

BTW, the cities storm drains appear to drain into the lake.

madbass
12-11-2014, 10:33 AM

hahahahah....you got me rolling

BASSCATCH
01-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Too funny...

CL SmooV
01-15-2015, 06:49 AM
If I'm not mistaken--echo park had a carp die-off before they drained and redeveloped. I recall anglers there during this time getting water on them while catching bass resulting in skin irritation (rash/bumps). I stayed away after I was told it could be a possible herpes virus with carp!