PDA

View Full Version : BBL report and Video Tips

Calicanuck
11-15-2014, 07:32 AM
I was up in Big Bear Lake in October, just didn't get around to posting a report up. Fished at Juniper Point and was surprised how much the water is down. I guess I haven't been here for a while so it was a little shocking. There still was a lot of weed growth with a few good casting lanes. The fish were biting pretty light, caught 4 all together with only one decent fish. I was using Gulp floating bait and they fish were taking it on a short leader 12". One of the locals who I see out there all the time said the shorter leader has been working better this year, but he had been skunked without even a bite the day before. I bet by now the fish have really moved towards the east and it could be really heating up with this cooler weather this week. Should be good to go this weekend!

Since I don't fish Big Bear that much anymore I thought I'd put a video together to answer a lot of the questions I get online. So this video will probably be nothing new to a lot of you who fish big bear, but for the new guys and those wanting to try it out this might help you go home with more than a skunk on your back. This is How to Fish Big Bear Lake in Southern California through the seasons. Understand how the fish change locations through the lake during the year in order to maximize your catch rates. Learn some of the best tactics for catching these rainbows through the year. The video also has some fishing action from my day out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n96c4Zen68&feature=youtu.be

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
awesome! Its always nice going up there. I was there last week and watching this makes me want to go this weekend lol !

shinbob
11-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Great video of a perfect fishing day. I love it when people actually catch fish on these kinds of videos. I spent the whole time looking at your indicator, waiting for them to bite!

Glenn
11-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Great tips! Been a "lifetime" since I've been up to BBL, sure looks nice!

Calicanuck
11-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, glad you liked it. Caught a couple others off camera but they were little wee ones. They must have stocked recently cause I was getting a lot of really light taps. Good luck out there!

vonfranko
11-18-2014, 09:30 AM
My GF and I have actually had a lot of fun fishing big bear this year due to your videos. Never had fished Big Bear before until February, and now it's my favorite place for trout. I had found the spot you filmed many of your videos in, JP, just from watching and hunting around in google maps lol. This gives me the bug to fish there again as soon as possible, but it probably won't be able to until December. :Cold Fishing:

Thanks for all the informative videos! Really got me hooked on fishing again.

DrePSP
11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I like to use size 18 hook instead as I can use less power bait and still make it float. But to each his own.
Thanks for a great video.

Lalalapotato
11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
How do you get to Juniper Point?
From LA?

Calicanuck
11-19-2014, 03:43 AM
I like to use size 18 hook instead as I can use less power bait and still make it float. But to each his own.
Thanks for a great video.

Yeah I use 18 as well, but sometimes they're out of stock so I'll use 14, 16 or 18 whatever I can get my hands on. they all work.

Calicanuck
11-19-2014, 03:44 AM
How do you get to Juniper Point?
From LA?

Do you know how to use Google maps. Go to directions, type in destination and your current location. It will show you how to get there.

GhettoBasster
11-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the amazing info!