PDA

View Full Version : Delta smelt in lake Perris ?

Tom
11-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Are Delta Smelt in lake Perris......are they not Silversides ?
found this surfing the net............and as we all know the internet is Never wrong LOL

http://californiawaterblog.com/page/10/

http://www.opinionspost.com/political-drought-plus-jet-stream-drought-california-dreamin/

spawning ??

Fishing for delta smelt has been banned since 1993, when state and federal wildlife agencies listed the species as “threatened” with extinction, a designation meant to elevate a species status to a pricey delicacy, improving U.S. trade relations with China. But the fishing restrictions apply only within the smelt’s “critical habitat,” which is limited to the San Francisco Estuary.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials said they are moving fast to extend the protective designation to all of Metropolitan’s reservoirs supplied by the California Aqueduct, including Lake Perris near Riverside, where some suspect smelt to be spawning on the failed parachutes littering its bottom.

karalm
11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Tom,

See previous Perris post on this link:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?81732-Perris-minnows-galore!!!!
and below your post called:
Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......

shinbob
11-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Are Delta Smelt in lake Perris......are they not Silversides ?
found this surfing the net............and as we all know the internet is Never wrong LOL

http://californiawaterblog.com/page/10/

Check the date that first article was written. April 1st.

Pete Marino
11-13-2014, 02:55 PM
they are pond smelt...they look a lot like Delta smelt though.. there are also silversides and threadfin in Perris..

Pete

Tom
11-13-2014, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=karalm;747819]Tom,

Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......[/QUOTE

Yup But this reports says we Do have the delta Smelt
so who is right??
I was at Perris today and had a nice chat with a Fish and Game guy. He tells me not only do they Think the Delta Smelt may be in Perris and lake Silverwood...... But at lake Silverwood but a fishermen last week caught a 2lb shad which he has never seen this far south.
I forget the name but the shad people fish for up north with Jigs (not threadfin) the ones they fish for in the American river
Also we are getting a new Game warden for trout season at Perris .... Lady Warden

Stormcrow
11-13-2014, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=karalm;747819]Tom,

Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......[/QUOTE

Yup But this reports says we Do have the delta Smelt
so who is right??
I was at Perris today and had a nice chat with a Fish and Game guy. He tells me not only do they Think the Delta Smelt may be in Perris and lake Silverwood...... But at lake Silverwood but a fishermen last week caught a 2lb shad which he has never seen this far south.
I forget the name but the shad people fish for up north with Jigs (not threadfin) the ones they fish for in the American river
Also we are getting a new Game warden for trout season at Perris .... Lady Warden

Is she hot??

Tom
11-13-2014, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Tom;747858]

Is she hot??

LOL have not seen her yet....the old warden just told me about her....he thinks she is

Marley
11-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Check the date that first article was written. April 1st.

They made a point of repeating that within the article. If true, the smelt likely traveled down the LA River with those big steelhead a number of years ago.

Misfitdog
11-14-2014, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=Stormcrow;747880]

LOL have not seen her yet....the old warden just told me about her....he thinks she is

What does this have to do with anything ? You do know over the last few years we have had Female Wardens already at the lake? this is nothing new and it is discouraging to see people act this way on a forum. People need more respect, old and young

also if you read on in the Perris, minnows galore thread , it is very clearly stated by a DFW biologist that they are not delta smelt on page 3 by Kwin : There is no record of delta smelt in SoCal, though confirmed Japanese pond smelt, aka wakasagi from DVL and Perris. They look very similar to delta smelt with slight/subtle differences to gill raker counts, pyloric caeca, anal fin rays.

Pete Marino
11-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Now im really interested to find out... I was sure they were Delta smelt...and was quickly corrected by Kwin when he insisted they were Pond Smelt.... Hes the expert so I now know them as Pond Smelt.... But if they are confirmed to be Delta smelt I wont lay down my instincts and knowledge anymore.....

But for now they are Pond Smelt....only time will tell.

As for the new female warden...give the lady a break... I don't think people should disrespect her on here.. It makes us anglers as a whole look petty and immature... IMHO

Pete

Pete

fshnritchey
11-14-2014, 08:42 AM
To Tom- Different individual call silversides by different names. They are often called pond smelt, ghost minnows, and sometimes people mislabel them Delta smelt. Ultimately though they are silversides. Same thing as when people call A Mahi Mahi, in Hawaii, a Dorado in Mexico and a Dolphinfish in Florida.

kwin
11-14-2014, 11:41 AM
April fools for sure. Those pics have photoshop written all over them. However, I will confirm American Shad were collected by us in Silverwood last year. They were like 18-19" long.

Tom
11-14-2014, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Tom;747885]

What does this have to do with anything ? You do know over the last few years we have had Female Wardens already at the lake? this is nothing new and it is discouraging to see people act this way on a forum. People need more respect, old and young

also if you read on in the Perris, minnows galore thread , it is very clearly stated by a DFW biologist that they are not delta smelt on page 3 by Kwin : There is no record of delta smelt in SoCal, though confirmed Japanese pond smelt, aka wakasagi from DVL and Perris. They look very similar to delta smelt with slight/subtle differences to gill raker counts, pyloric caeca, anal fin rays.

I have no doubt and i did read the threat Minnows galore.
it is not me arguing the facts. I just brought up more information right or wrong that is on the internet...something most had not seen on this forum
as you Know the Internet is never wrong
or fishermen never lie LOL
or fishermen never dip net silversides right ? ooops....... i meant pond smelt
Don't shoot the messenger

Tom
11-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Now im really interested to find out... I was sure they were Delta smelt...and was quickly corrected by Kwin when he insisted they were Pond Smelt.... Hes the expert so I now know them as Pond Smelt.... But if they are confirmed to be Delta smelt I wont lay down my instincts and knowledge anymore.....

But for now they are Pond Smelt....only time will tell.

As for the new female warden...give the lady a break... I don't think people should disrespect her on here.. It makes us anglers as a whole look petty and immature... IMHO

Pete

Pete

By the way most seem to operate their new Bass boats we prove our immaturity

OK here goes everyone saying they never speed or break the rules in their boat....LOL
I know I have never Went over 35mph in my boat.......(laughing at myself here)
actually as i understand it this new lady may be tougher on the rules which is a good thing for the Fishery

rucker
11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
so when do they start stocking trout

BassinPLS
11-15-2014, 07:26 AM
so when do they start stocking trout

A week or so ago, in the Lake Skinner Thread there was a posting that said the DFG were testing the water temperature for stocking of trout. The thread indicated that Skinner will not receive any stocking of trout due to concerns over down stream flooding of "Salmon habitat"!!? It went on to say it would probably be another couple of weeks before the water temps would allow for stocking of trout in Perris and other lakes. Based on that information,. I estimate the trout stocks are still a week or so away...depending on other restraints, such as State DFG Budgets.

seal
11-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Some say potato I say silversides, it it's a skinny minnow type bait with a silverish line down the side it's a silverside to me.

If the American shad take over Silverwood there's going to be a bunch of swimbait painters making a lot of money!

crappiemike
11-16-2014, 06:07 PM
The pics say it all......

Them silversides were eating all the
Little shads under the light, there
Mouths are pointed upright and
Sucking them little shads from
Under neither ,,, it was a trip!!
Until the three to four incherz showed
Up and pushed them along......

If anyone has a pic of something
Else maybe it's true,,,,,,

For now them silversides.......

Cm

Stormcrow
11-17-2014, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Tom;747885]

Act what way? Hey Misfit, don't get your panties in a wad...I just asked if she was hot...Just a joke. Calm yourself. I got pulled over by the HOTTEST CHP officer I ever saw one time. She was stunning...Didn't mean I respected her any less.

seal
11-17-2014, 12:46 PM
There's a lady ranger at Silverwood that is easy on the eyes. But don't mess with her when she does a pat down she will kick your feet out so hard you may think she's making a wish before she does it!