PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Valley Reservoir Tips

TimmyBoy
11-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Hey There Everyone,

Headed out Pleasant Valley Campgrounds the week of 11/21 to do some camping and was hoping to do some trout fishing.
I'm no stranger to trout fishing, but could always use some pointers and tips.
I did a bit of research, and know that the dam (south end) of PVR is pretty good, as well as the lower owens right next to the campgroud.
If anyone had any other feedback or tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

DEVOREFLYER
11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Levels have come up a bunch and are currently at (4389′). This is high for access in the transition zone. There has been periodic hydro generation in the mornings. 4383′ is optimum in my opinion. The small river directly below the powerhouse is awesome when the flows are low, or stable. Forget fishing the river, or inlet if the hydro station is ramped up. The quiet water at the inlet can be great for tubers during this period. Dry dropper combos using Stimulators, hi-vis para BWO’s or hi-vis caddis, may be used as the upper fly-use crystal olive caddis larva, flashback PT’s, Assassins, broken back or crystal tiger & zebra midges as your dropper bead head nymph. Streamers like Loebergs, Agent Orange, Crystal leeches, & Spruce-A-Bu’s will get you into some nice browns in the rez proper. Use a full sinking line to get down to 10-15 feet quickly. You can also fish “Crowley midge style” in the rez near the drop-offs. Fish the same chironomid patterns below an Under-cator. Gillies, broken back midges, crystal emergers & pupa patterns. Tiger & zebra midges are always a solid choice for your larva pattern.

This fishery is open year around.

Viejo
11-10-2014, 07:25 PM
"as well as the lower owens right next to the campground"

There are special regulations for the Owens from the dam down. From the bridge(in the campground) down to the monument is the Wild Trout section....barbless, single hook, no bait and Zero take. The Wardens will check your hooks and they write plenty of tickets in that section. Below the monument, there are regular regs for keeping fish.

TimmyBoy
11-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Ahh Thanks for the Advice Guys!

Yah I did take note of that, I believe down to the 5 mile bridge. Ill most likely hit the dam area with some powerbait to get friends on some fish, and then explore the river myself and throw some spoons.
Thanks again!

"as well as the lower owens right next to the campground"

There are special regulations for the Owens from the dam down. From the bridge(in the campground) down to the monument is the Wild Trout section....barbless, single hook, no bait and Zero take. The Wardens will check your hooks and they write plenty of tickets in that section. Below the monument, there are regular regs for keeping fish.