PDA

View Full Version : ABA DVL Round #1... This past Saturday..

Pete Marino
11-10-2014, 10:59 AM
So the new season is already upon us as the ABA started their Diamond Valley region series for the 2014/2015 season this past Saturday at DVL...

Normally the ABA starts their DVL region in January but this year they decided to start their season in November instead... And November as some of you may or maynot know is a month of "change" at DVL..."transition" is another word you may have heard when talking about November at DVL... The Bass are in transition...some bass are on bait shallow, some are deep already....This is a time of year when you can go out one day and catch them in 2 ft of water and go out the next day and catch them in 70 ft..

So I went out Friday to take a quick look around the lake and check some spots....After running about 3 miles of bank just looking I saw that there are ALOT of bass on the bank just cruising around..
I also checked out some of my favorite deep water spots and found good numbers of bass in those areas as well in 50-70 ft of water... I actually dropped some baits on some of those fish and found easy pickins on those bass as they bit very aggressively and were all good size bass.

So at the end of the day Friday I had to sit down and ask myself the question...Which bass do I want to target? The Shallow fish or the Deep fish?

To make my decision I had to factor in all the variables... Was Saturday going to be sunny? Was it going to be windy? Would the lake be busy?
Those are just some of the things I had to take into consideration to help me decide what fish I was going to target come tournament time the next day.

After checking the weather I knew exactly what I was going to have to do.. The weather called for bluebird skies, NO wind, Flat Calm and a high of 91 degrees...add to that the fact that the water clarity at DVL right now is about 18-22ft in most areas, that was all I needed to know to know that I was going to spend most of the day fishing the deep water bass because they would be the bass less affected by the unfavorable conditions for fishing Diamond Valley lake.

So when I went home Friday night I talked over the game plan with my wife Carissa who is my ABA DVL region partner. (We just won the ABA Diamond Valley Region Angler of the Year title so we are looking to defend our title this year) I basically came up with a game plan and we talked about where we were going to fish and when.. I decided that we were going to fish deep most of the time only going shallow to hit very specific spots if there ended up being any wind...

So that night after coming up with a game plan I rigged all the rods.... Then I told my wife, "Ill be right Back"....and I ran to the store to get us a TriTip to BBQ so we could have a killer lunch to snack on during the tournament. . We tried this last year and we had success. Im not superstitious but its a good excuse to have a tasty snack during the tourney.. So I went and bought it and brought it home and put it on the fire... Of coarse we had to eat some that night!! lol

Anyway..back to the fishing... So the alarm goes off at 3:45am and I hook up the boat and load the truck and Carissa cuts up that TriTip into small chunks... and away we go!!

I go get us signed in boat #4.... then I go back and prep the boat...before long its time to head up the hill to the lake and get launched...
Once launched we wait for our number to be called... The tournament director says Boat#4 and off we go...

We get to our first spot and its actually a spot with a high spot with deep water access.... I position the boat with me fishing the highspot with a plastic and Carissa is throwing her Alabama rig into the deeper water working it uphill. Within 5 minutes Carissa says "Im on" and I net our first keeper of the day.. Then about 10 minutes later I get bit and set the hook.... "Im on"...as Carissa nets keeper number 2...this one is over 3 lbs... :Envious: Then Carissa switches to the dropshot and casts it out to deep water in about 50ft... Her bait hits bottom and she tightens her line and shes already bit...She swings and its GAME ON.... "Net" she says...as I net a Solid 3 lber.. Nice....
Then those fish stopped biting so I decided to head to our best deep water spot since the sun was already over the hill. So we head over to the cluster of waypoints I marked the day before... I put the troller down and there they were....in 63 ft of water...stacked up.

I grab my Ice jig and drop it to the bottom...I engaged the reel tighten up my line and gave it one rip and IM ON!!!! As a bass had already eaten my Ice Jig!!! :Cool::Cool:
I said "Net" and Carissa hadn't even taken her life jacket off....hahahah and she netted our 4th keeper of the day... Another solid bass in the well..

Then Carissa dropped down her dropshot to the waiting bass....and shes on!!! And I net keeper number 5.....Now were rolling....

We get back on them and we both drop down the dropshot and we literally both say "Net" at the same time as we have a double hook up... As we both slowly reel in our fish She says hers is small so I tell her to handle her fish and Ill net my own fish myself so I grab the net and net another solid bass...cull fish that got rid of a 2 1/2 lber.. Hers was about 2 lbs...no help.. :Neutral:

Then we lost them...they were gone...."Where the heck did they go?", I said. So we searched and searched and searched...us catching those fish so quick made the school move.... So I literally did small circles and big circles for over an hour looking for them.... They we gone...probably not too far away but we weren't finding them so we made a move...

"Lets go catch a kicker fish", I said.. So we headed over to a high spot in about 20ft of water with deep water all around it. Carissa started throwing her Alabama rig into deep water and I chucked out my slide swimmer about 20 yards past the high spot and begin the slow retrieve back to the boat... When my bait got about 20 yards from the boat I can clearly see a giant slowly following my swimbait... "EAT IT" I said... as this 8-10 lb bass slowly got within about 5 ft of my bait then slowly turned and swam into the darkness.... Noooo......... uggg... that fish didn't bite because the water was dead calm and the visibility was so clear.... Try as we might, we never got that fish to chase again and we even peppered the areas with other baits but it was not to be.... So after an hour of trying to get her to come back, we went back to work..... so to another deep spot we went...60 ft.... I put the troller down and we both catch 2 lbers within 1 minute of each other...No help... so after a while we make another move...

Were going big fish hunting again I said.... I know the conditions weren't right but I had to try...so we hit 4 big fish spots in the next hour with absolutely no love...not even a follower.... That's DVL.....and that's fishing!!!

So we head back to our #1 deep water spot and I put the troller down and its a ghost town still..... then I say lets look deeper and we go out to 65-70.... there they are....we caught 4 in a row but none of them helped...so after a while of that we moved again.... Back to a 60 ft spot... I put the troller down again and BINGO...there they were....and I caught 2 on back to back drops with the Ice jig and Carissa caught 2 on the dropshot.... But none of them helped.. :mad:

After a while of that we moved again back to the 55 ft range and I caught a keeper and Carissa caught a short... small upgrade....but an upgrade non the less...

Finally with about an hour left in the day we decided to grind it out on our best water and never got bit again... the conditions were horrible even for the deep water fish, The bite was better on Friday...

So at 2:50 we headed in to take them to the scales.... Word on the lake was that it was very tough for most and good fish were tough to come by...

We pulled up to the scales and I take the bag up to the weighmaster who says.. " Good Bag of bass"...and he weighs them 14.09 lbs.... 15lbs was leading so I had no idea where we were in the standings.... So after that the scales closed and we had the awards... we finished in 3rd place... Not a bad way to start our new season..... all while we ate some delicious TriTip all day... Were gonna keep that going... here are some pictures..

Most of our bass were caught in about 50-68ft of water.. Ice jigs and dropshot... one mid range Alabama rig fish

The Goods!!!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_20141107_211152874_HDR.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/TeamMarino/media/IMG_20141107_211152874_HDR.jpg.html)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/5372_ex14.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/TeamMarino/media/5372_ex14.jpg.html)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/5372_3rd.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/TeamMarino/media/5372_3rd.jpg.html)

GOOD TIMES!!!

If your ready to come out with me to figure out the deep bite at DVL or Perris Call me and Ill get you out on the either lake... There is also a shallow bite on both lakes..

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
(909) 510-5679
(909) 241-8283

Brent
11-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Good job Pete.

Saw you two around 2:00 on the North side and said hello. You mentioned you were focused on a kicker.
Too bad you missed the big girl. The clear, calm water and bluebird skies do make things a little more difficult.

See you out there,

Brent

HuskerRod
11-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Four things you can count on in life. Death, taxes, the Raiders will lose, and Pete/(enter any partner name here) will be successful in tournis

Bass Boy 14
11-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Nice job Pete. Too bad that kicker eluded you....but like you said, that's fishing!

Matt_Magnone
11-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Great job out there. Saturday was definitely a weird one and if anyone says it was stupid fishing is full of it. I was on a deep jig bite and had similar weight 14/15. I never did get a lot of fish out of any one area in particular. Just a lot of bouncing. Way to be consistent as always.

Pete Marino
11-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks Matt...yeah it was a grind for sure... I don't mind grinding but when the bites come so infrequently sometimes the thoughts of "am I doing something wrong" pass through my mind. The key is confidence..and the belief in your instincts...if you have those things.in.your game it helps you relax and stay confident and focused when other guys lose hope and give up...

BassinPLS
11-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Pete,

I was fishing a small club tournament on Saturday and around 2:00 pm in the afternoon we pulled up on a north shore point . I saw you and Clarissa way out in deep water southeast of the point we were on. I couldn't figure out what you were up to as I knew you were in really deep water.

Your post explains it now: "Most of our bass were caught in about 50-68 ft of water.. Ice jigs and dropshot... one mid range Alabama rig fish".

I will have to dig out the ice jigs and start going deeper. I guess it is getting to be that time of year. I just didn't think the greenies had gone that deep yet!

Pete Marino
11-12-2014, 01:02 PM
yep we were ultra deep.... They are stacked up in the deep water and waiting to bite.....finding them is the hard part though....once you find them, its game on!!!

Pete

Tuforeel
11-13-2014, 05:07 PM
You guys rock!!!! love reading your posts!!!

Dsrt Tortise
11-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Fantastic bite Pete!! I wish I could get my wife out and give it a try but she would rather be fishing for cheaper prices at WalMart or Target.

Dsrt. Tortise :Smile: