PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Close Call. Me:1 Seals:0

Cadillyak
11-08-2014, 06:06 PM
So let me take you on a journey on the elusive La Jolla Home guard Yellowtail, we at least elusive for me. I have had my fair share of yellowtails at La Jolla, but I don’t believe that any of them were Home guards. Well it was time for things to change yesterday November 6th.

I met up with a few buddies at the launch as we made plans for how things would go that day. I noticed there was a sandcastle, and I knew that was a sign for good things to come. I was on the water in short order and began making bait. Spanish, Spanish, and guess what, more Spanish.

The Greenies, for me at least, didn’t come out to play until the sun was up. After getting them under my yak, my tank was filled with perfect size greenies, and I was ready for the troll. I went out as usual to the trolling grounds and set out my first mac. 5 minutes later a seal had breakfast on me. Wait a couple minutes, and drop another mac behind me. 5 minutes later, breakfast is served for another. Well at least I had to pickups relatively quickly in the day.

I make my way out a little further and drop my 3rd mac back, 5 minutes later I’m hooked up and the fish runs immediately down to the kelp. Small but smart yellowtail I thought, as the weight wasn’t there. After a few minutes of sawing through the kelp, I am rewarded with my first catch, about a 7lb Bonita. Well at least the skunk is off.

I drop another mac, and 5 minutes later, I am on again with a 7-8lb Bonita and I make short order of this one. BTW, no Bonita were hurt during the making of this report. All went back to fight another day. So that’s 4 pick-ups in the first 20 or so minutes. Not bad, but 2 were sea lions and the other 2 were not the right kind. I drop the next bait down and I have another Bonita trying to engulf my offering. This one gets away, but no biggie as I’m not looking for Bonies.

One thing I did notice with the Bonita, they would pick up a bait, and stay with it, regardless of if I set the hook and missed, they stayed vigilant in their pursuit of a meal. I set the hook several times, felt no weight, but left my bait back there, and they came right back to the scene of the crime.

In an effort to get away from the by catch and the sea lions, I went towards the Northwest corner in search of the one that got away (See Why lobster pot, Why?). I troll and I troll, and for good measure, troll some more. All for nothing. My buddy hooked up with a good size Thresher, but cut his line quicker that we would have liked. After that, I started with one fly line, and another on the bottom. Hoping I could pull a rabbit out the hat as the day wore on. Nothing on the bottom and nothing on the top for me as of then.

I start to chalk up the day as just putting in time on the water, of which I have no problem doing and begin to peddle back to the launch. It was a little after noon, and knowing the Santa Ana’s would pick up, I knew what was in store. Of course I was going to troll all the way in, hoping to connect. I hit my buddy up and let him know my plan, and he agrees.

On my way in, fighting the current and wind, I took a small nap, LMAO. Only for about 4-5 minutes. This is when things get exciting. I awake to my drag screaming and rod doubled over in the rod holder. I grab my rod, set the hook, and miss the fish. Well the adrenaline is pumping now, so I pin on a decent size mac, maybe 11 inches, and instead of dropping him back, I cast him back into the general vicinity of my last strike. Not even 10 seconds later and I’m on. And it’s a good one. The fish immediately takes a run to the bottom and wraps me up in all types of kelp. I kept a cool head and started sawing through the forest.

I then notice that the fish hit so hard that he got the hook, but missed the fish and my mac was now sliding up and down my braid. No problem for me, as long at the fish was still on. I fight through kelp and more kelp, but the fish is still there.
Now things get interesting. A sea lion eventually notices my bait, and decided to have lunch on me, but also takes my braid for a brief period. This sea lion decides to stay under my kayak for a while, waiting for me to toss out another bait, not knowing that I am hooked up. I kept my cool and tried my hardest for the sea lion to not notice the bend in my rod or the fish on the other end of the line. I peddle away from him, and he eventually takes off.

Now, knowing that sea lions were around, I had one of two options. Land the fish, or break my line trying. There was no way I was going to settle for letting a sea lion have my fish. I start short pumping my fish and laying to wood to him. I consistently feel kelp stringer after kelp stringer give way.
As I gain line, I set my gaff up for the hopeful shot while still laying the wood to this fish. Just then, a PB comes near, and brings two more sea lions to the party. Now I have 3 sea lions around me. I don’t care, this is my fish, and he’s coming home with me. I see the sea lions around, but also see the yellowtail at color. Wow, definitely my PB. I get him into gaff range and stick him first try. 15 seconds later, I have sea lions all around that missed the party. What a rush!!

I got the Yellowtail in the boat without a scratch on him!!! Went 33lbs and 43” at fork. I’m thinking Homeguard just for the size and intelligence of this beautiful animal.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cMKq4sbhI&feature=youtu.be

Edgar
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Thats what I'm talking about ! Congrats Cadillyak :) Nice Sandcastle :Cool:

bones
11-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Dude...What a great battle. At 3:20 when you cut that kelp string and I saw that pop I thought you came unbuttoned for a second and my heart almost gave out for you....LOL
I'm guessing that was your live greenie that slid up your line to the top. Good thing a dawg didn't come up and snatch it and YOUR LINE....OMG
Congrats on a fine catch...I must add of course....X2 on the sandcastle!
Thanks for sharing such a well written report and backup vid! Doesn't get better than that. Gotta love it when everything lines up so perfectly!

Keep on yaking sir!

Mike

jaggerbub
11-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Nice fish there sir...

Cadillyak
11-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Dude...What a great battle. At 3:20 when you cut that kelp string and I saw that pop I thought you came unbuttoned for a second and my heart almost gave out for you....LOL
I'm guessing that was your live greenie that slid up your line to the top. Good thing a dawg didn't come up and snatch it and YOUR LINE....OMG
Congrats on a fine catch...I must add of course....X2 on the sandcastle!
Thanks for sharing such a well written report and backup vid! Doesn't get better than that. Gotta love it when everything lines up so perfectly!

Keep on yaking sir!

Mike

Coming from you that's an honor. Been reading SWAT's surf reports for a few years now. Everytime I went through a stringer my heart skipped a beat. Glad everything worked out!!

DockRat
11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Wow, 33 lbs :Applause:
Congrats, DR

basshole1
11-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't know what's more impressive...the sand castle or the yellowtail. Great job landing that fish, must have been a helluva rush fighting that monster with all those dang sea dogs around, Congrats on the PB!!

GhettoBasster
11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Wow! Great report! Way to go on out smarting those sea dogs and congrats on that monster Yellow!

bachiboy
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
AWESOME battle! Congrats on a great fish! Hard enough to get one of those to the boat or yak much less with dogs trying to crash the party. Was wondering why that sand castle was such an omen, but man, someone put some serious detail into that bad boy...pretty cool!:Wink:

Don

danw
11-10-2014, 05:11 PM
You rock . That is a nice yt
Just watched your video,
that just may be the kick I need.
My yak hasn't seen water in years.
I think its coming out of storage.
Tight lines

fishinone
11-10-2014, 05:47 PM
That's a nice fish from a kayak. What a great read!

twin22s
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Epic... that must have been a hell of a rush. Great job on the awesome fish story with a happy ending, and proof to boot!

Cadillyak
11-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Wow, 33 lbs :Applause:
Congrats, DR

Thank you sir. Finally broke 30lbs from the kayak!!

Cadillyak
11-10-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't know what's more impressive...the sand castle or the yellowtail. Great job landing that fish, must have been a helluva rush fighting that monster with all those dang sea dogs around, Congrats on the PB!!

That was a rush. I have lost my share to the dogs. Glad this story had a happy ending. i saw that sandcastle a knew it was gonna be a good day!

Wow! Great report! Way to go on out smarting those sea dogs and congrats on that monster Yellow!

Thanks. Definitely my PB. Through trial and error, I think I may have found out how to outsmart them.

AWESOME battle! Congrats on a great fish! Hard enough to get one of those to the boat or yak much less with dogs trying to crash the party. Was wondering why that sand castle was such an omen, but man, someone put some serious detail into that bad boy...pretty cool!:Wink:

Don

Yea, when I arrived, nobody was around the sandcastle. After numerous times out of that beach, that's a first. Fish definitely towed me around for a bit.

You rock . That is a nice yt
Just watched your video,
that just may be the kick I need.
My yak hasn't seen water in years.
I think its coming out of storage.
Tight lines

When u do blow the dust off, PM me. I Fish both fresh and salt. I tube as well.

That's a nice fish from a kayak. What a great read!

Glad u enjoyed. I try to make the reader feel as if they were there. This time I had video that told my story.

Epic... that must have been a hell of a rush. Great job on the awesome fish story with a happy ending, and proof to boot!

Finally a happy ending. Epic indeed!!

anchor3n1
11-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi Cadillyak

That was a great report, well written and fun to read. Your video of the adventure was sweet!

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to your next one.

Nick

hamneggs
11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
What an adrenaline rush!!! That's some nice eating you got there man. Hope your next outing gets another PB.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
11-11-2014, 10:33 AM
that's huge , lol congrats

Wingnut
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Great video and awesome report. :Thumbs Up:
Nice job on denying those Sea Dogs their lunch! LOL

Jaysuuun
11-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Wow! Just saw the video and what a fight! That fish had no chance the way you were pumping her in. Congrats on the PB and next time do everyone a favor and sink the gaff into one of those seals.

Mike_Aye
11-12-2014, 01:42 PM
That is Awesome!

Cadillyak
11-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Cadillyak

That was a great report, well written and fun to read. Your video of the adventure was sweet!

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to your next one.

Nick

Glad you enjoyed the video. Now this one won't just be a story.

What an adrenaline rush!!! That's some nice eating you got there man. Hope your next outing gets another PB.

Thank you. I didn't think I was going to get him in without a bite taken.

that's huge , lol congrats

Definitely my PB!

Great video and awesome report. :Thumbs Up:
Nice job on denying those Sea Dogs their lunch! LOL

Thanks Wingnut! I have lost my fair share of fish to those dogs.

Wow! Just saw the video and what a fight! That fish had no chance the way you were pumping her in. Congrats on the PB and next time do everyone a favor and sink the gaff into one of those seals.

Yep. Once the first dog took off. I knew I had to get the fish in quick.

That is Awesome!

I'm still grinning!

SP Dan
11-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi ya Cadillyak,

I watched your video first and then read your report ..... WOW! 33 lbs ... well done Sir! :Thumbs Up:

Watching your video .... just made me want to buy a PA12 yak again.

Thanx for the fish report with video! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><