PDA

View Full Version : Three in a row

Stumpknocker
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Launched at opening, headed up the fish arm looking for boils...saw a single one on a point, but no response to my topwater plug, and no repeats...went all the way to the end and saw no other top action, so headed back up around C-point and started checking the ski arm.

About halfway down I saw some scattered boils and birds, so I stopped and started throwing the topwater again...no hits, and every boil was a single boil with no repeats...I started motoring on the trolling motor over towards some boils & birds, and threw a kastmaster behind the boat to troll it while moving...10 seconds later I was on...a minute later I swung a schoolie on board...unhooked it, tossed it in the livewell, and cast the spoon back where I had been bit...instant hookup...a minute later a little better schoolie, maybe 3 pounds, came on board...into the livewell, then another cast back there...another instant hookup, and another 3 pounder.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/3.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/3.jpg.html)

That last one bent the hook pretty good, so I took a minute to straighten it, and by then the school had moved on...fished all around that area, tried a bunch of lures, and got nothing else...while chasing some boils I ran into Fishinone and Fishbones...nice gents, good to meet them and talk a bit. The boils died out there, they took off to other parts, and I started looking for a good place to anchor and fish sardines...it took a while before I saw the kind of marks I was looking for, and they were thick, but from 100 down to 130 feet...I thought about giving it a try, but I had 3 fish in the boat, I had other stuff to do this afternoon, and I shouldn't be keeping stripers anyways until I eat some more from the freezer, and those were enough reasons to avoid pulling an anchor up from that depth :LOL: so I headed for the ramp.

fishinone
11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Nice meeting you out there Stumpknocker.

Kastmasters are great, everything hits them.

Today was slow for us, fishbones got 3 striper. I got one UGB. Of coarse we were gone by 8:30.

DEVOREFLYER
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Today was slow for us, fishbones got 3 striper. I got one UGB. Of coarse we were gone by 8:30.

Another "Morner" eh, lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!

trail blazer
11-07-2014, 02:32 PM
GREAT to see some staic posts again,,,wth s,nocker thanks

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
11-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks Fishinone! It was great meeting you guys too...it was a tough day...like you said out there, the boils were all single fish, and that didn't give much time to get a lure into a boil...I got lucky in that I stumbled into a feeding school that hung around long enough to pick some off...just this year, I've used various kastmasters to catch stripers at Castiac, trout in Utah and Wyoming, and perch in the surf...it's a crazy-good lure.

Stumpknocker
11-07-2014, 03:40 PM
GREAT to see some staic posts again,,,wth s,nocker thanks

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks Trailblazer...glad to help!

Fishbones
11-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Pleasure talking with you SK.
I love the cast master as well and caught a lot of fish on it as a kid. Congrats on the 3-3, I agree with the scattered single boils, deff was a tough day.

Stumpknocker
11-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Pleasure talking with you SK.
I love the cast master as well and caught a lot of fish on it as a kid. Congrats on the 3-3, I agree with the scattered single boils, deff was a tough day.
Great meeting you as well Fishbones...it's weird how you and Fishinone killed 'em on single boils the day before, and the next day the boils were there but the hits weren't nearly as easy...that's fishin' I guess...

Fishbones
11-08-2014, 04:11 AM
this is true that's how fishing goes and tell us about it we were expecting a good good day too

Stumpknocker
11-08-2014, 06:11 AM
this is true that's how fishing goes and tell us about it we were expecting a good good day too
When I left around 11 there was a guy in the parking lot with a clipboard, working for some gov't agency, who interviewed me about the day's catch...I told him I had caught 3 stripers, and he asked me if that was a typical, good, or bad day, so I had to think about it...I chose typical, since I do have days like you guys had the other day where they bite like crazy, and then there are the days where nothing works...I'll take typical!