PDA

View Full Version : Catching Shad on Sabiki Rigs

Ian
11-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Do I need bait on the hooks, or will the gold bare hooks do?

What size sabiki? The smallest ones?

exfactor
11-06-2014, 06:36 AM
no bait, and the shad need to be pretty good size to bite them. it doesn't always work

DEVOREFLYER
11-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Not legal

4.05. BAIT FISH CAPTURE METHODS.
(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand,
with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet
in greatest dimension.

seal
11-06-2014, 07:02 AM
How many times has this one come up? I guess when people see everybody doing it they just assume it's legal.

flyhigh123
11-06-2014, 01:55 PM
It would be legal if you caught shad on a sabiki to eat though... Lol

Ifishtoolittle
11-06-2014, 02:23 PM
In freshwater you're allowed up to 3 hooks. Couldn't you just take 3 nymph hooks dressed with feathers or bait instead?

seal
11-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Ya know that's funny I thought about that for a second but they are classified as baitfish so I think if you tried that on the game warden they may laugh but still write the ticket.

Starcraft16.5
11-06-2014, 03:27 PM
This is for seal I was told I is not legal to use or catch live shad @ Silverwood lake by dfg @ lake with my legal 36" shad dip net WTF ? Can you explain why ? Checked dfg handbook nothing on Silverwood about shad ! I'm talking dipping it @ Silverwood & fishing with it @ Silverwood ! You seem to know what's up @ this lake would like to hear from you re this situation .

Ian
11-06-2014, 03:44 PM
I see dip nets used at Pyramid, but no sabikis because it sounds like now that's illegal, but what about umbrella nets and using bread crumbs as chum?

Ifishtoolittle
11-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Ya know that's funny I thought about that for a second but they are classified as baitfish so I think if you tried that on the game warden they may laugh but still write the ticket.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Why wouldn't one be able to target shad using bait and hooks? As I said, you can use up to 3 hooks on one line in freshwater.

DEVOREFLYER
11-06-2014, 03:55 PM
The answer is in the Fishing Regulations Handbook. Geeze maybe you should get a copy and read it. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations

in greatest dimension. Such bait fish may not be
purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded;
or transported alive from the location where taken.
Any other species taken shall be returned to the
water immediately. Traps need not be closely
attended. Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held,
and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by
the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may
not be moved through the water by any mechanical
force or motorized device.

ps: It does not have to make sense it's the law, tell it to the Judge.

Ian
11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Can I use bread crumbs to chum up the shad?

seal
11-07-2014, 01:47 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me. Why wouldn't one be able to target shad using bait and hooks? As I said, you can use up to 3 hooks on one line in freshwater.

Because they are classified as a baitfish and them's is the rules.

seal
11-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Can I use bread crumbs to chum up the shad?

Just say no to chum!

No it's not legal. Is chumming in general allowed in the fresh water? Wait I'll answer for you, no. If chumming in general is not allowed then does it matter whether you are chumming for baitfish or game fish? Wait I'll answer again, no.

seal
11-07-2014, 01:56 PM
The answer is in the Fishing Regulations Handbook. Geeze maybe you should get a copy and read it. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations

in greatest dimension. Such bait fish may not be
purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded;
or transported alive from the location where taken.
Any other species taken shall be returned to the
water immediately. Traps need not be closely
attended. Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held,
and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by
the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may
not be moved through the water by any mechanical
force or motorized device.

ps: It does not have to make sense it's the law, tell it to the Judge.

I can sense that your blood pressure is rising. Turn off the computer and go get yourself an adult beverage. Doctor Seal's cure for what ails ya.

DEVOREFLYER
11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I can sense that your blood pressure is rising. Turn off the computer and go get yourself an adult beverage. Doctor Seal's cure for what ails ya.

I got about four fingers left of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold think that's enough or will I need more?????????

seal
11-07-2014, 02:35 PM
4 fingers should get you thru the day but I'm sure by tomorrow they'll be more questions, better go to the store.

Fishbones
11-07-2014, 07:20 PM
FYI to all sabiki shad poachers...
DFG has had many reports of this and ready to ticket, and pick up your sabiki wrapper's damn it.. I'm sick and tired of seeing them all over the shoreline!!!
So save your sabikis for the dines-chovies and smelt.

crappiemike
11-07-2014, 07:32 PM
When you guys see shad in the water
Your going to catch them!!!! Lol........

Cm

enohserf
11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
in greatest dimension.

I stick with the 3 foot or less diameter net, but here's a question I've always wondered about. Dip nets are clearly defined as 6 feet or less excluding handle.
It does say by hand, dip net, and specifically the traps not being over three feet. That looks to me like a 6 feet or less dip net is OK, unless they are also referring to a hand being less than 3 feet as well. I'm not into breaking the law but the way it is written leaves room for misinterpretation.

1.42. DIP NET.
Webbing supported by a frame, and hand held,
not more than six feet in greatest dimension,
excluding handle.

seal
11-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Never said the rule book is always easy to follow, was written by government workers, I speak a little government and normally get by pretty good but using the term "dimension" once at 3 feet then using the same term at 6 feet is confusing although I think it is meant as the actual length of the pole connecting the net since it mentions the handle.

I'd go back to the book and re-read it but I think a response from the DFG would be better or you could email them.

I know the 3 feet diameter is the diameter of the net and if it is exceeded you run the risk of a ticket, that much I know.

P.A.W.
11-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I wish this thread was required reading for all lake fishermen. I know the Sabiki crews will be out in force on Skinner this winter. No concern for what's legal or how many hooks on their rigs. Thanks

shinbob
11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
in greatest dimension.

I stick with the 3 foot or less diameter net, but here's a question I've always wondered about. Dip nets are clearly defined as 6 feet or less excluding handle.
It does say by hand, dip net, and specifically the traps not being over three feet. That looks to me like a 6 feet or less dip net is OK, unless they are also referring to a hand being less than 3 feet as well. I'm not into breaking the law but the way it is written leaves room for misinterpretation.

1.42. DIP NET.
Webbing supported by a frame, and hand held,
not more than six feet in greatest dimension,
excluding handle.

I agree with your interpretation of the regs, i.e. that a dip net with a hoop diameter of 6 feet, net depth of 6 feet, and handle length of > 6 feet is legal (though certainly unwieldy).

I parse the sentence like this:

(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only:
i) by hand,
ii) with a dip net,
iii) with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension.

Although I could see how it could also be parsed like:

(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only:
i) by hand,
ii) with a dip net or traps not over three feet in greatest dimension.

But as you point out, that would conflict with the definition of a dip net given later.

Someone should write to that person that interprets DFW regs in WON, maybe they'll give clarification. I'd do it, but I don't have a subscription anymore.

Starcraft16.5
11-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to net & use live shad @ Silverwood lake

DEVOREFLYER
11-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to net & use live shad @ Silverwood lake

Here's a link look it up. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations

Starcraft16.5
11-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Wow thanks for that I have a #*%€*ing 2014 dfg handbook but cannt read between the lines was told @ lake I would get a ticket when warden saw me launch boat with my shad net thank u very little

cutbait
11-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Wow thanks for that I have a #*%€*ing 2014 dfg handbook but cannt read between the lines was told @ lake I would get a ticket when warden saw me launch boat with my shad net thank u very little

Absolutely you can. There is even a sabiki exemption for that lake and limits of striper have been lifted recently.

So take your shad net and sabiki rigs. Load up with ahead and fill your live well with as much striker as you can catch!

Good luck out there star craft

Starcraft16.5
11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
What lake changed to no limit on stripers ?

DarkShadow
11-11-2014, 10:08 AM
<Insert Face Palm Here>

MikesOcean
11-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Ya no limits on any striper anymore. I heard the same. But that only applies to lower lagoon at castaic.

So kill As many as you can catch. They even say you can snag striped bass now
And it's fair game at the lower lagoon. This is to keep the lake a better fishery and to keep all the bass fisherman
Happy!

GO GET THEM!

seal
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I give up.

DarkShadow
11-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I give up.

Wanna go snag some shad on sabiki rigs then catch stripers till the cows come home since there is no longer a limit on them?

seal
11-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Wanna go snag some shad on sabiki rigs then catch stripers till the cows come home since there is no longer a limit on them?

Sure but since their planting trout wouldn't using a live trout be better for getting the big ones? Wait we can use 4 rods a piece. If we also put 6 hooks on each of the shad rods our chances should improve.

You bring the chum.

Mr T-rex
11-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Every post in this Network seems to have people complaining! Geez settle down a bit

MikesOcean
11-11-2014, 03:16 PM
I give up.

LOL

I'm sure Dev will share his bottle!!

Heck,,, I will even bring a good bottle of tequila
And we all can go snag some fish. DS will bring the chum.

Sound fun? Haha

DarkShadow
11-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Sure but since their planting trout wouldn't using a live trout be better for getting the big ones? Wait we can use 4 rods a piece. If we also put 6 hooks on each of the shad rods are chances should improve.

You bring the chum.

We'll chum to bring the "shads" nearby, then we snag them with sabikis. I think that since there is no limit on the amount of hooks one can use in freshwater, we use the sabiki rigs in conjunction with the Alabama rigs. That way, we can attach a sabiki to each end. That's like, 40 hooks! 4 rods? That's 160 ways to snag a shad!

DEVOREFLYER
11-11-2014, 03:46 PM
If it's on the internet it must be "TRUE".

seal
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Every post in this Network seems to have people complaining! Geez settle down a bit

I've cut out beer, you'll have to forgive me. Go niners!

cutbait
11-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Hey don't blame me?

This guy was presented with the regulations... talked smack because someone wouldn't interpret for him...

So I interpreted!

Ifishtoolittle
11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Because they are classified as a baitfish and them's is the rules.

I don't like them rules.

seal
11-12-2014, 08:04 AM
I don't like them rules.

Lot's of them there rules I think are a bit silly but I'm not privy to the "science" behind it (if there is any).