PDA

View Full Version : Balboa/newport pier fishing help........

ŚlightlineŚ
11-05-2014, 03:53 AM
I would like to thank you or all in advance for any info or strategy shared.

Ok so I plan to fish either balboa or newport pier this friday 11/7/14 and need advice
on baits or lures needed to land some fish. The target species is Bonito but would not mine
catching mackerel or other fish. I've have read a few reports recently that bonito have been fishing
well off of both piers on megabait lures or live bait as well as fly's. Any confirmation to these reports
will help me alot as I have not saltwater fished in about 5 yrs and dont have much saltwater experience
anyway. Also do bonito hit most in mornings, afternoon or nights? Again thanks for any help. I will post my
results saturday......

murrieta angler
11-05-2014, 04:28 AM
I'll let you know later on tonight.
A good friend of mine fishes San Clemente pier regularly and I will see him today.
Robert
<><

ŚlightlineŚ
11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Thank you...

Mike_Aye
11-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Lightline,

if you want to catch mackerel, the standard way is just to purchase some sabiki rigs and throw it out there with a 2 ounce or heavier weight at the bottom, then do a medium speed retrieve while jigging the tip of the rod.

Usually when I fish Newport Pier and am trying to catch macks for bait, I just throw a sabiki out there with really small pieces of squid/or sardines on the hooks, and just leave it out there, you will see that they will strike it constantly. Then just retrieve when you think you have some on. (its the lazy way but what ever). When I fish the Pier I usually fish from 7PM to midnight and have caught mackerels using this technique.

I have not caught a bonita

murrieta angler
11-05-2014, 07:26 PM
My Buddy said there is pretty much no action there right now.
He went last night, for lobster, and didn't see anyone pulling anything up worth talking about.
Robert
<><

p.s. his Buddy caught 2 legal lobster.

5150fishn
11-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I fish these piers a lot . Best bet for bonito is early morning. Fish a feather or a spoon lure. I generally fish the night hours though. Perch can be had in the shallows using camo sand worms (perch crack). Fish surf line with squid or chovies for Leo's, thornbacks, shovelnose, and bat rays. Head to the end with a sabiki tipped with squid for the Mack's. GL

ŚlightlineŚ
11-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Thank you guys

ŚlightlineŚ
11-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Fair fishing today im leaving now to catch the trout opener at rancho jurupa. To the report, fair fishing on the sabiki rig when the mackeral were around (few Xs). Did see like 5 or 6 snaggers at the surf chasing fish around. Those guys dont mess around 80 pound test and 10 trebles that look like anchors. As for bonito not much action. Oh by the way I went to newport. Again thanks for the advice guys...