PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor on the yak

Mike_Aye
11-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I hit up Newport Harbor this past Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. My friend James and I got there around 2PM and paddled out.

We went straight to the bait barge and grabbed a quarter scoop of sardines. The sardines were all big, so we decided to paddle out deeper towards the mouth of the harbor in search of some bigger fish. We had no luck on the sardines. The wind/waves picked up a lot towards the mouth of the harbor.

After trying to fish with live bait, and not catching nothing, we decided to head back inside the harbor to throw some swimbaits. I trolled a sardine on the way back, no luck.

Once we got inside the harbor, it was nice and calm. We started throwing swimbaits and I managed to catch 3 spotties (all 12 inches) and my friend caught 1 spottie about the same size. (I didn't want to post 12 inch fish images, i'll post when I catch a +14 inch fish)

Before we knew it, the sun was already down (damn you daylight savings time), we headed back to the truck, quick stop to Wingstop, and headed back home.

It was a good day overall, feels good being out there. Cant wait to go back

Mike_Aye
11-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Feels good to get out there on the water 4529145292

bones
11-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Ahh....A quick paddle around the land of lofty dreams....a few spotties and some delicious wings from Wingstop!
Sounds like a pleasant day sir!

Thanks for the report!

Mike_Aye
11-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Here are some more pictures. I decided to just post the pic's .. small or not .. Definitely a pleasant day out there. Cant complain! Hopefully next time I catch some bigger ones

Ps. wingstop wings are the bomb! lol

GhettoBasster
11-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the report. Yeah. Damn that daylight wasting time! I usually tube NPH but I'd like to try it out in my yak soon just to mix things up.

Mike_Aye
11-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Ghettoblaster

Its awesome being out there on the yak. I'll let you know next time I head out to NPH maybe we can meet up on the yaks and throw some swimbaits around

Jaysuuun
11-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Nice spotties! I forget what it's like to fish the harbor. Perhaps I should dust my tube off to refresh my memory.

Mike_Aye
11-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Jaysuuun

Thanks man and definitely refresh your memory by getting out there! nothing beats it for the most part

GhettoBasster
11-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Ghettoblaster

Its awesome being out there on the yak. I'll let you know next time I head out to NPH maybe we can meet up on the yaks and throw some swimbaits around

Thanks for the invite! Will defininately let you know. I'm very inexperienced in yaking, so I could learn a lot from you.

Mike_Aye
11-12-2014, 05:20 PM
GhettoBasster

I am going to NPH this Saturday to fish on the yak with my friend. I'm not exactly sure on the time yet, since it might be early morning at sunrise, or after 1PM for the evening session. I will update you as soon as I know for sure, if you aren't busy you should paddle out with us!