PDA

View Full Version : I'm hearing Mammoth brewing has some good brews

billy b
11-03-2014, 09:51 AM
... like Golden Trout is best ... then Double Nut Brown ...

Thots?

I'm thinking of dropping by on the way to LA ... unless there's a more convenient store on 395

THANKS

Sierra_Smitty
11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I think Mammoth Brewing's popularity far exceeds their quality. They make a few decent brews but marketing is the key to their success IMO.

Vons in Bishop has most of their stuff including several of their season beers.

billy b
11-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the good advice ... I'll reconsider

MexicanPistachio
11-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Overrated. Look for ballast point sculpin

DarkShadow
11-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I like their graphics for their bottles. Aside from that, they're not anything special.

IPA fan? Which other IPAs do you like?

billy b
11-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Who makes that and where do you get it?

THANKS

billy b
11-04-2014, 11:18 AM

$60+ a 6 pack? ... whoa

DarkShadow
11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
$60+ a 6 pack? ... whoa

Damn, where are you buying your brews at?!

I can get Sculpin on tap for about 5 bucks.

MexicanPistachio
11-04-2014, 03:40 PM
6 pack is about $10. I'm getting into the IPA style and sculpin is my favorite so far.

DarkShadow
11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
6 pack is about $10. I'm getting into the IPA style and sculpin is my favorite so far.

If you're into IPAs:

Pliny the Elder
Dogfish 60
Racer 5

That's not counting the double IPAs, and the triple IPAs, that are my current favs.

billy b
11-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Damn, where are you buying your brews at?!

I can get Sculpin on tap for about 5 bucks.

I went to their web site ...

Piss on Myspace
11-06-2014, 10:48 PM
If you're into IPAs:

Pliny the Elder
Dogfish 60
Racer 5

That's not counting the double IPAs, and the triple IPAs, that are my current favs.

IPA's are the way to go. Hops to beer are the grapes to wine. Racer and Ballast are pretty tasty. Im sure you've had stone and Lagunitas before, if not try it...also if you can find the "wookie jack" from Firestone, that's been the new favorite. Another is the "total domination" from the Ninkasi brewery. Prost!

DarkShadow
11-06-2014, 11:05 PM
IPA's are the way to go. Hops to beer are the grapes to wine. Racer and Ballast are pretty tasty. Im sure you've had stone and Lagunitas before, if not try it...also if you can find the "wookie jack" from Firestone, that's been the new favorite. Another is the "total domination" from the Ninkasi brewery. Prost!

Stone, a few years ago, yes, was a decent IPA. Unfortunately, their "Stone IPA" has fallen behind a lot of IPAs. I do take into consideration that a lot of micro breweries in the state are stepping up their game. I used to love Stone IPA, but then I realized that the only reason I did was because it was available on tap practically everywhere. But, now, it's fallen down on the list.

And yes, IPAs is where it's at, as a beer drinker. Yes, I'll drink Coors Light and Bud Light if I need to pull a 15 hour Havasu/Delta fishing session, but when it comes to sitting down and enjoying a few nice ones, those hops are what the foundation of beer is all about. I love the 'bitter face' people get when they try a strong IPA for the first time. All that means is that the sixer in my fridge is safe.

scottfishes
11-07-2014, 06:18 AM
I just heard June Lake loop has their own brewery!!!! Right at the Tiger Bar make the next left and they are down on the right. I will be investigating tomorrow!!!

Piss on Myspace
11-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Stone, a few years ago, yes, was a decent IPA. Unfortunately, their "Stone IPA" has fallen behind a lot of IPAs. I do take into consideration that a lot of micro breweries in the state are stepping up their game. I used to love Stone IPA, but then I realized that the only reason I did was because it was available on tap practically everywhere. But, now, it's fallen down on the list.

And yes, IPAs is where it's at, as a beer drinker. Yes, I'll drink Coors Light and Bud Light if I need to pull a 15 hour Havasu/Delta fishing session, but when it comes to sitting down and enjoying a few nice ones, those hops are what the foundation of beer is all about. I love the 'bitter face' people get when they try a strong IPA for the first time. All that means is that the sixer in my fridge is safe.

Yup...I travel the country for work and have found (pleasantly that is) that most bars do have Stone on tap. Its funny, I've traveled to places where it is assumed they're beer drinkers like Canada and Texas, and all they have are the standard "girls lites" and maybe a Heineken or Stella. I'd much rather prefer an IPA but for those 15 hours trips your talking....im going good ole' PBR!!!

sierraslam
11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Mammoth Brewery is great! Go get a flight, and you'll find something you like. Not to mention the fact that they bring Buesapalooza to Mammoth every year. 70+ different breweries and great music under the pines is pretty cool. Check the new place out in the old Whiskey Creek building.

sierraslam
11-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Anyone ever stop at Indian Wells Brewery? Mojave Red is good. They have a triple IPA as well. Worth the stop for different sodas and candy for the kids too. Toms Place house beer is the Orange Blossom Ale from Indian Wells.

moparferlife
11-25-2014, 08:54 PM
I like the double nut its pretty damn good.
But honestly It's beer....
Let's not be to snobbish lol

Cadillyak
11-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Now we are talking. IPA's are the name of the game. Enjoyby, Pliny the elder or pliny the younger if you wait in a line the length of 3 blocks, sculpin, big eye, the list goes on. Mazanita, Mother Earth, Russian river, Great Divide, soooo many great IPA's. The dude makes a mean couple 4 packs in 16oz cans that I always bring fishing.

sierraslam
11-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Laguanitas hop stupid is strong but good. They have a 420 IPA that's real good too. Every beer and brewery mentioned on this thread can be tasted at Mammoth Breweries Bluesapalooza. If you like beer tasting it's one of the best Blues and brews festivals in the western states. If you have not been, you're missing out.

DarkShadow
11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm glad that there are hop lovers out there that love a good IPA. Definitely have to check out that festival in Mammoth, although I'd probably break my neck hiking down the ravine to fish Hot Creek tasting a dozen IPAs.

billy b
11-27-2014, 11:13 AM
How about Langunitas? ... seems pretty popular

Anybody like Singha?

sierraslam
11-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Lagunitas Sucks Hop Stupid

billy b
12-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Appreciate the courteous response. We sure need more people like you on the board!

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 10:01 AM

The Sucks isn't really my type of beer although I hear from many that they love it.

The Hop Stupid is really good too. Lagunitas does consistently makes some good IPAs.

sierraslam
12-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Laguanitas makes an Ale called "Laguanitas Sucks," and an IPA called "Hop Stupid." Just a little play on words. Not to be taken so seriously.

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Laguanitas makes an Ale called "Laguanitas Sucks," and an IPA called "Hop Stupid." Just a little play on words. Not to be taken so seriously.

I understood, no worries. :-D

sierraslam
12-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Ya. I think Billy took it wrong. On a lighter note, Russian River took over the taps at a brewery near me. Pliny Alert!

DarkShadow
12-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Pliny Alert!

Dude, let me know! I know one spot in Pasadena that has it on tap, and one spot in OC that also has it on tap.

billy b
12-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Ya. I think Billy took it wrong. On a lighter note, Russian River took over the taps at a brewery near me. Pliny Alert!

You're right ... I did ... SORRY

sierraslam
12-04-2014, 04:33 PM
all good. Try the Laguanitas Hop Stupid if you get a chance. Really flavorful beer. I can only drink 2 because it is strong.

moparferlife
12-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Was at target today and walked by the beer area and they just happend to have ballast sculpin. So I ended up grabbing one to try and it's pretty damn good.

emtbsandiego
03-20-2015, 10:04 PM
If you like IPA's and some spice, try and hunt down some Habenero Sculpin. Ohhhhh soooo gooood.

Mammoth's 395 IPA was an interesting beer. I couldn't sit down and drink more than one or two, but the sage is really good with the beer.

billy b
03-21-2015, 09:59 AM
FWIW ... One of the best beers I've ever had ... if not the best ... was Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro ... on tap ... in Denver area. Couldn't find it anywhere west of Colo ... so my nephew shipped me a 6 pack
Bottled was sure disappointing to the on tap that I enjoyed. Don't know enough about beer to know why the big difference. Anyway ... it was a great evening in Colo