PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Saturday 11/1

Bassfan
11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Didn’t think I’d make it this Saturday with the questionable forecast so didn’t get the boat or supplies ready Friday night. I woke up at 3:30 and went outside and saw some stars so got everything ready and as I get in the car to leave, it starts drizzling. I’m already up so it’s off to fish and just in case it gets worse I decided to stay closer to home with Castaic.

Got there very early for a rainy morning at the #2 local lake but there was already a small bass tournament lined up at the lower entrance and they went in early.
When they let the rest of us head to the launch at 7 there were only about 6 boats in line.

Started by seeing some small boiling right away and with nobody around, started with topwater. Hit quickly by a 3 lb. striper and the action in that area was increasing.
Tried to continue with topwater but there were too many birds that wanted to grab my topwater every time I cast. Kept pulling it away from them (and away from the fish) over and over until I had to reconsider topwater as a lure of choice.

A couple times the birds were so thick that they got caught on my line as the lure flew through the air.
The one time the line pulled the bird to the water as I tried to get it off him and as I reeled the line the lure came toward the bird through his wings and I was afraid the treble hooks would begin an MO nightmare.
I got lucky and it came off without sticking.

For the first hour there were schools chasing bait in that general area and hitting topwater, flukes and spoons and landed 7, all 2.5 to 3 lb.
After that good start the action died so I started to explore.

The lake level seems a lot lower than a few weeks ago with lots more new land and shallow areas. Drove around a lot and didn’t see another boil in the next 5 or 6 hours and tried about 2 hours of trolling seeing some marks but without a hit. Tried one hour of bait fishing with sardines without a bite but didn’t move around or try more than one spot.

There was a cold wind in my face all day and the long stretch without even coming close to catching anything made me want to take my morning fish and go home early.

At 2:00 I get to the dock, tie up the boat and get out and I hear some guy on shore say “look they’re boiling” and he points to the cove next to the docks. I jump back in the boat and ease over just as they go down and get one from under the surface.
A couple minutes later I get another the same way and then decide that’s it, time to go home.

Back to the dock, tie up the boat and get out to go get the car and a guy on the rental boat dock says “look they’re boiling” only this time the boil is going crazy between the rental dock and the lifeguard dock.
You can’t fish standing on the dock and I’m on the wrong side of the lifeguard dock but a bad case of striper fever takes over and I jump into the boat and cast across the dock and get nailed on a topwater.

The problem is there is no way I can get that fish pulled up and over the dock to my boat and I know the lifeguard is watching. It was either break off my topwater and let Mr. Stripey have it or break the rules.
I decided there must be a 5 second rule for everything so I jumped onto the dock, lifted a 2.5 lb striper out of the water and quickly dropped him and me into the boat.
The lifeguard was kind enough to let that go (5 second rule?).

After I left I heard there were some afternoon boils other places.
It was a strange uneven day of some really good and some barren results.
Only saw one lake lice all day and no green fish bothered me so it was a good day overall.

cutbait
11-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Lol. Eventful report!

Thanks.. this report convinced me to go to castaic if nothing else to take pics of islands and lake contours.

TB has a theory that when Castaic comes back up it will explode as if it was a new lake

catchingsomefish
11-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice report Jim, funny about the birds, we caught one Thursday fly lining a live shad.....It is ashame that the lifeguards have nothing better to do then mess with people when there is such little traffic.....Even when the lake is full of lice, they seem to ignore all the real problems, people smoking pot and drinking while boating......but such is life at Castaic.................Dave

Bassfan
11-02-2014, 12:07 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/EE660A2E-3D2A-4651-9DAC-667B39A5D500_zpsxtun0gws.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/EE660A2E-3D2A-4651-9DAC-667B39A5D500_zpsxtun0gws.jpg.html)

This is the back of the ski arm and there is only about 20 feet between the "No Boats" buoy and the new land mass.
Apparently they frown on people walking on the new land masses to get to the no-no cove.

Fishbones
11-02-2014, 01:00 PM
This is true... Having my day terminated yesterday was no fun, but better than a ticket. Lol

trail blazer
11-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Fantastic report bfan,,,,,,,,,,

Guess il be hitting the staic to see just how low it really is,

a M/O,,,,,LOLOLOLOL
Thanks for the great info,

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
11-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the report Bassfan...interesting day you had there with the birds, the good boils and then nothing else happening...I'm used to birds eating baitfish but it's crazy that birds will hit a topwater lure...thought they had better eyes than that...I'd have tried the 5 second rule too...hilarious!

HawgZWylde
11-02-2014, 03:21 PM
This is true... Having my day terminated yesterday was no fun, but better than a ticket. Lol

Lol, that no-no cove was just tooo enticing to let it go? And they made you pack it up and bail? That really sucks...

HawgZWylde
11-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Good post and good day out there Bassfan. Lol, that lifeguard was probably laughing when you weren't watching him. I'm sure he must've seen the boil, he probably also knows that true anglers have a disease that makes us unable to help ourselves in certain situations no matter how honest we are in all other aspects of life. Lol, he actually probably felt sorry for you, lol...

fishinone
11-02-2014, 07:06 PM
This report is for the birds.

The sign clearly said "No Boats".

Fishbones
11-02-2014, 07:49 PM
The loopholes are endless Ron, but I only need one warning. Lol