PDA

View Full Version : Freedom at SCI

Ambassadorhawg
11-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Recently jumped onto the Freedom with a buddy to see if we could cash in on all the Yellowtail we've got swimming around in our waters this year. The ride out wasn't bad, a little bumpy. A stiff wind hampered us all day while we were fishing, though. But the fish were there and they wanted to play. It was mostly schoolie sized fish, 10-15 pounds with a few smaller and a few bigger mixed in. Unfortunately, the mammals were relentless, costing us many, many losses. I think we ended up with 82 fish for the day and I want to say that we probably hooked 200. I went 2 for 9 all on the yo-yo iron. The dogs didn't get all of mine, but most.

Frankenfish
11-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Thats a lot of lost tails to dogs.... Sounds like they were biting. 2 for 9...sheesh...i thought i had a tough time when i went 1 for 3 down at san martin a few years back. What sucks is if you want your jig back...you have to waste all that time going back and forth fighting the seal until you either wrestle whats left of it away from it, or he eats everything but the head and then lets it go to move onto the next.

lazyfisherman
11-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I was out last week at the coronados and had the same problem. We also had a hammerhead shark swallow a whole yellowtail, jig and all.

Frankenfish
11-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Anywhere you can hook a yellowtail within sight of land be it island or coast, i expect trouble from seals. Thats why i think its better to use a medium to high speed single reel like a trinidad or at least something 5:1 so you can muscle that fish in relatively fast and even then, it doesnt help sometimes. I've never seen as many hammerheads as i have this season. Every tuna Trip i took later this summer, hammerheads have been around. Had one chase my jig right to the side of the boat. Crazy year.

Jigslinger
11-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Congrats on getting a few! Seals have been so bad this season up and down the coast. I was fishing the Coronados a couple of weeks ago and the seals were all over. We still landed 300 yellows so all good. Some were over 30lbs.