PDA

View Full Version : Fall Owens River trout

trouty
10-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Was up in mammoth the 25th for my nephews birthday party so I went down to the Owens to see if I could snag a few of the migrating trout from Crowley. I fished about 4 hours and got about 20, heres some pics of the nicer ones. The one next to the water bottle fought like a champ and was probably around 4lbs. If you haven't tried fall fishing on the Owens I would highly recommend it as the big Crowley trout come up to spawn. I can say I walked a long way and their wasn't a sole in sight for miles, it was an awesome experience.

scottfishes
10-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Very nice,

I will be there in 12 days I hope they are still around!!!

pcuser
10-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Are you willing to say what you where fishing? If not, I understand. If so, it's deeply appreciated.

trouty
10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
yeah no problem man get your walking boots on and head to lake crowley I basically fished from the momument all the way down. When the river unloads into crowley theres a massive long deep pool holding plenty of runners. they fight ridiculously for a river trout good luck

fishrdi
10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Nice Report and beautiful fish you got there! Well it is not a secret anymore, I heard yesterday that every 20 feet of the river from the Monument to Crowley was occupied.
Last weekend we had the whole river to ourselves. DFG was there enforcing Barbless hooks and artificials only & also expressing these are migrating fish & not to handle them too much. A few anglers ignoring the regulations fishing just above the Monument were ticketed as well as a few anglers fishing bait that we warned before DFG got there.
Also saw a few keeping more than 2 fish & they were under 18 inches. If you going to fish this section, please be aware of the regulations before you fish..... Have fun & catch some fish!

fly addict
10-27-2014, 12:36 PM
The area you mentioned requires you to release the fish un-harmed. Sticking your fingers in their gills or laying them on the ground is not the best way to release them in a way that they will have the best chance for survival.

Mr T-rex
10-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Nice report and looks like you got into some nice quality fish!
I want to make one last trip before the season finishes lets see if I can

fishrdi
10-27-2014, 01:09 PM
FYI: Here is the regulations for this section...!

Viejo
10-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Was up in mammoth the 25th for my nephews birthday party so I went down to the Owens to see if I could snag a few of the migrating trout from Crowley. I fished about 4 hours and got about 20, heres some pics of the nicer ones. The one next to the water bottle fought like a champ and was probably around 4lbs. If you haven't tried fall fishing on the Owens I would highly recommend it as the big Crowley trout come up to spawn. I can say I walked a long way and their wasn't a sole in sight for miles, it was an awesome experience.

Obviously, your catching skills far exceed your safe fish handling skills.......

trouty
10-27-2014, 01:29 PM
glad to see some girls out there fishing. I was by myself trophy wife!

mrg85
10-29-2014, 08:25 AM
well all those fish are dead!!!

retired96
10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
I saw a guy get cited by the Warden last year for failing to immediately return his fish to the water on the Upper Owens in October. You don't keep the fish out of the water for 1-2 minutes while you grab your camera to take a picture...

billy b
10-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I saw a guy get cited by the Warden last year for failing to immediately return his fish to the water on the Upper Owens in October. You don't keep the fish out of the water for 1-2 minutes while you grab your camera to take a picture...

Very interesting ... and helpful reminder

Jus curious ... was he dressed like a warden ... where'd he come from (sneak u?) ... I've heard they stay at a distance with binocs ... ???

retired96
10-29-2014, 11:29 AM
He was in full uniform in his truck, the fishermen was about 100 yards away and I'm sure he never saw the Warden. I was in my truck eating lunch and had been talking with the Warden when he saw the violation.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
10-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Awesome pics and WTG!

My buddies are going thanksgiving weekend, might have to tag along after this report.

Thanks

Viejo
10-29-2014, 11:42 AM
glad to see some girls out there fishing. I was by myself trophy wife!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/viejo1/cool-post-bro.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/viejo1/media/cool-post-bro.jpg.html)

Why is it the guys who post the pics like that have only 2 posts and always make with the sexual innuendo when caught gill f#%7ing trout......you hoisted yourself on your own petard as a true champion of the resource. Oh yeah....snagging is pretty much illegal as well. This time of year, your chances of an expensive education are a lot higher in the Bishop area.

MarkyMark
10-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Question--what are good types of lures/colors this time of year? Gold/red panther martin/bouyants?

seal
10-29-2014, 02:05 PM
This thread should be used as an example of what not to do. They just need to close these spawning spots to all fishing during these periods like Big Bear does. Restrictions don't seem to work cause it seems nobody f***ing reads them!!!!!

Sickening example of fish handling!

seal
10-29-2014, 02:07 PM
The more I read this the more I think this is a troll trying to piss us off!

Viejo
10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
The more I read this the more I think this is a troll trying to piss us off!

You very well could be right. Personally....I think he just doesn't have a clue.

fly addict
10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Glad to see some outrage about the way “trouty” handles fish he plans on releasing unharmed. And did he snag the fish literally or was he speaking figurative?

Trouty you might want to read this,
10 Tips for a Successful Release

Following are 10 tips for insuring that your catch makes it back into the water for another angler to pursue. While these guidelines are written from the perspective of the trout and salmon fisherman, virtually all of these guidelines apply to other species as well. Click on the links for more useful information.
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/trout-and-water-temperature-how-hot-too-hot/771553http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/under-pressure/77147

Use Crimped or Barbless Hooks
This is the obvious one, so let's get it out of the way first. Use hooks with no barb whatsoever, or use your pliers or hemostats to press down the barb on your hook before fishing it. Barbless hooks are almost always removable with ease. Barbed hooks can often cause serious damage to your catch and probably aren't increasing your landing rate as much as you think. Get a ‘Ketchum Release Tool’; it will make releasing a fish a snap without touching the fish at all. I think it is the best streamside gadget ever made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptYPB7KCos

You're No Surgeon
Well, at least we're assuming you're not. Even if you are a surgeon, don't try to perform surgery streamside on an un-sedated subject. If your fish takes a hook deep and it can't easily be removed, just cut the leader/tippet as close as you safely can and leave the hook in. The fish will eventually shed the hook on its own, the hook will corrode, or new tissue will surround the hook and the fish will go on about its business of being a fish. The alternative, attempting to dig out a deep hook, almost invariably results in a mortally wounded fish. In fact, one study by the PFBC (Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission) showed that 66 percent of deeply hooked fish that were released with the hook still in place survived. Their counterparts that had the hook dug out? They survived only 11 percent of the time.

Horse It In
Ditch the 8x tippet and fight your fish in with authority. Apply pressure properly from the side and don't over play the fish. Playing a fish for 10 minutes (that's intended as a gross exaggeration, it can take much less time than that to excessively exhaust a trout, for example) on tippet that's too light for the fight is likely to exhaust a fish past a point from which it can recover. Chances are you don't need that ultrafine tippet anyway.

Use a Rubber Net
Landing nets provide one of the few reliable ways to release a fish without handling the fish at all and also allow you to land a fish more quickly. Try to use a net whenever possible and use a good quality catch and release net like the rubber mesh variety that are increasingly common and increasingly affordable these days. Stay away from nylon nets. Buy a net from Greg @ http://www.sierra-nets.com/CMS-Sierra/

Get Wet
When it comes time to handle the fish, always get your hands wet. Dry hands are much more likely to remove a fish's layer of slime which protects the fish from fungus, bacteria and parasites.

Take Care of the Head and Eyes
Like you, the fish at the end of your line relies on its head and eyes to get by. Unlike you, however, a fish doesn't have a head designed to take the occasional whack or two. A fish's head is fragile and needs to be protected. In fact, head injuries are the leading cause of fish mortality after release. Also never ever put your fingers or other things in the gills of the fish. That is like somebody shoving something into your lungs, it just can’t be a good thing for the fish or you.

Avoid the Shore
Never land your catch by dragging it onto the rocks, beach or even grass along the shoreline. These places are no place for a fish. Putting a fish on the shore virtually guarantees you're committing all kinds of no-nos: disturbing the fish's protective slime, keeping the fish out of the water too long, encouraging head and eye injuries and more. Keep your catch in the water where it belongs if you're hoping to release it unharmed.

5 Second Rule
This isn't the same 5 second rule that applies to dropping french fries or funnel cake at the ballpark. This version, much more well-rooted in science than the aforementioned version, requires that you strictly limit the time your fish spends out of water. This doesn't mean you've lost all hope of getting that grip-and-grin shot, it just means you need to do it properly. Prepare for your photo with your fish safely under the surface. When you lift the fish out of the water, do it for 5 second intervals or less. Feel free to keep on trying (within reason) until you get the shot, but return your fish to the water for a rest between attempts.

Revive it Properly
Face your fish upstream (or whichever direction faces into the current), not down, and let it breathe normally. If you've been taught by someone in the past to drag your catch back and forth in the water in order to help it revive, stop. This sort of action actually impedes the fish's ability to move water through the mouth and across the gills to obtain oxygen. Also take care not to revive your fish in sediment-filled water. If you've disturbed the stream bed, move into clean, clear water with a moderate flow and revive the fish there. Be patient and let the fish tell you when it is ready to swim away. Returned vigor and stability of the fish will be the first signs that it is nearing the time for release.

Watch the Thermometer
Trout and salmonids are in increased danger of stress and exhaustion as water temperatures increase and oxygen levels decrease. Pay attention to stream temperatures as air temperatures increase and the season moves on. Know your target species and how hot is too hot for the fish you're pursuing. As temperatures approach the limits of what is safe, take extra care in all aspects of safe catch and release. Best to not even fish if the chances of the fish’s survival are slim, or if you must fish, do it early in the morning before the water temps go beyond the fish’s upper limits of survival.

Practice these C&R techniques and you should be able to come back and enjoy fishing your favorite streams and lakes for years to come!

pitman
10-30-2014, 05:53 PM
We were up last weekend also and my son said the river was closed for fishing from the monument to benton. Maybe that's why no one was there? I was down at five bridges on the river and there were plenty of people fishing.

Tom
10-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Awesome pics and WTG!

My buddies are going thanksgiving weekend, might have to tag along after this report.

Thanks

I thought the river was closed to fishing Nov 16th?

retired96
10-30-2014, 06:26 PM
For those that don't know the section of the Upper Owens closes from Benton Crossing to the Monument on Oct, 1 every year.... The section above Benton Crossing is open all year with gear restrictions. Hot Creek and the East Walker are also open year around so people can fish a few areas at thanksgiving as long as they obey the Regs....

I fished the Upper Owens 10 days ago and there was virtually no one else on the river...

Calicanuck
10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
I was there yesterday fishing in the afternoon. Didn't see any larger fish, didn't catch anything. Three other guys fishing the section from the monument to crowley. Didn't see anyone else hook up on anything. Fish were hiding from us. Some small ones around that were pretty finicky.

Piss on Myspace
10-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Glad to see some outrage about the way “trouty” handles fish he plans on releasing unharmed. And did he snag the fish literally or was he speaking figurative?

Trouty you might want to read this,
10 Tips for a Successful Release

Following are 10 tips for insuring that your catch makes it back into the water for another angler to pursue. While these guidelines are written from the perspective of the trout and salmon fisherman, virtually all of these guidelines apply to other species as well. Click on the links for more useful information.
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/trout-and-water-temperature-how-hot-too-hot/771553http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/under-pressure/77147

Use Crimped or Barbless Hooks
This is the obvious one, so let's get it out of the way first. Use hooks with no barb whatsoever, or use your pliers or hemostats to press down the barb on your hook before fishing it. Barbless hooks are almost always removable with ease. Barbed hooks can often cause serious damage to your catch and probably aren't increasing your landing rate as much as you think. Get a ‘Ketchum Release Tool’; it will make releasing a fish a snap without touching the fish at all. I think it is the best streamside gadget ever made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptYPB7KCos

You're No Surgeon
Well, at least we're assuming you're not. Even if you are a surgeon, don't try to perform surgery streamside on an un-sedated subject. If your fish takes a hook deep and it can't easily be removed, just cut the leader/tippet as close as you safely can and leave the hook in. The fish will eventually shed the hook on its own, the hook will corrode, or new tissue will surround the hook and the fish will go on about its business of being a fish. The alternative, attempting to dig out a deep hook, almost invariably results in a mortally wounded fish. In fact, one study by the PFBC (Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission) showed that 66 percent of deeply hooked fish that were released with the hook still in place survived. Their counterparts that had the hook dug out? They survived only 11 percent of the time.

Horse It In
Ditch the 8x tippet and fight your fish in with authority. Apply pressure properly from the side and don't over play the fish. Playing a fish for 10 minutes (that's intended as a gross exaggeration, it can take much less time than that to excessively exhaust a trout, for example) on tippet that's too light for the fight is likely to exhaust a fish past a point from which it can recover. Chances are you don't need that ultrafine tippet anyway.

Use a Rubber Net
Landing nets provide one of the few reliable ways to release a fish without handling the fish at all and also allow you to land a fish more quickly. Try to use a net whenever possible and use a good quality catch and release net like the rubber mesh variety that are increasingly common and increasingly affordable these days. Stay away from nylon nets. Buy a net from Greg @ http://www.sierra-nets.com/CMS-Sierra/

Get Wet
When it comes time to handle the fish, always get your hands wet. Dry hands are much more likely to remove a fish's layer of slime which protects the fish from fungus, bacteria and parasites.

Take Care of the Head and Eyes
Like you, the fish at the end of your line relies on its head and eyes to get by. Unlike you, however, a fish doesn't have a head designed to take the occasional whack or two. A fish's head is fragile and needs to be protected. In fact, head injuries are the leading cause of fish mortality after release. Also never ever put your fingers or other things in the gills of the fish. That is like somebody shoving something into your lungs, it just can’t be a good thing for the fish or you.

Avoid the Shore
Never land your catch by dragging it onto the rocks, beach or even grass along the shoreline. These places are no place for a fish. Putting a fish on the shore virtually guarantees you're committing all kinds of no-nos: disturbing the fish's protective slime, keeping the fish out of the water too long, encouraging head and eye injuries and more. Keep your catch in the water where it belongs if you're hoping to release it unharmed.

5 Second Rule
This isn't the same 5 second rule that applies to dropping french fries or funnel cake at the ballpark. This version, much more well-rooted in science than the aforementioned version, requires that you strictly limit the time your fish spends out of water. This doesn't mean you've lost all hope of getting that grip-and-grin shot, it just means you need to do it properly. Prepare for your photo with your fish safely under the surface. When you lift the fish out of the water, do it for 5 second intervals or less. Feel free to keep on trying (within reason) until you get the shot, but return your fish to the water for a rest between attempts.

Revive it Properly
Face your fish upstream (or whichever direction faces into the current), not down, and let it breathe normally. If you've been taught by someone in the past to drag your catch back and forth in the water in order to help it revive, stop. This sort of action actually impedes the fish's ability to move water through the mouth and across the gills to obtain oxygen. Also take care not to revive your fish in sediment-filled water. If you've disturbed the stream bed, move into clean, clear water with a moderate flow and revive the fish there. Be patient and let the fish tell you when it is ready to swim away. Returned vigor and stability of the fish will be the first signs that it is nearing the time for release.

Watch the Thermometer
Trout and salmonids are in increased danger of stress and exhaustion as water temperatures increase and oxygen levels decrease. Pay attention to stream temperatures as air temperatures increase and the season moves on. Know your target species and how hot is too hot for the fish you're pursuing. As temperatures approach the limits of what is safe, take extra care in all aspects of safe catch and release. Best to not even fish if the chances of the fish’s survival are slim, or if you must fish, do it early in the morning before the water temps go beyond the fish’s upper limits of survival.

Practice these C&R techniques and you should be able to come back and enjoy fishing your favorite streams and lakes for years to come!

Good read for even those in the know...