PDA

View Full Version : weekend crowd

alfanna
10-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Have the weekends been crowed? I usually only go during the week and I'm thinking about going tomorrow.

HuskerRod
10-24-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't think I ever gone to DVL when it was crowded unless their was a huge tourni going on. Generally, even when the lot seems fairly busy Im lonely on the lake.

gogreeenz4
10-24-2014, 09:06 AM
we were out there last sunday and there was maybe 10-15 max 20 boats .....

alfanna
10-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Wow, that's empty. Cool I'll give it a go. Thanks for the info guys..

jewel
10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Parking lot will be busy with NAMI walk but out on the water it will be clear.

HawgZWylde
10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Anybody remember when the line used to go all the way out and onto Dommenigoni, even on weekdays?

Matt_Magnone
10-24-2014, 08:47 PM
unfortunately due to the lack of people fishing, the word isn't being passed around about the bite being good. its good and bad. for the guys that are secretive; its awesome, for the business around; it's bad. give and take type of deal. when the only reports to be found on the internet are of people having slow times or on internet searches of guys having bad experiences; of course nobody's gonna want to come.

on any given day its hard pressed to find 20 boats in the lot. after 1:30-2:00 im usually one of the only trailers if the last trailer. for me it's awesome because i dont have to worry about bailing on spots for the fear of another angler being there. at the same time it sucks for the lake when they are in need of business. to keep a fishery open as great as it is, $$$ need to come through the gate.

in the mean time, the launch is excellent, the fish are biting and i'm having an absolute blast wrecking fish! its up to people whether or not they want in on the fall bite! :)

ART HILL
10-24-2014, 11:49 PM
we were out there last sunday and there was maybe 10-15 max 20 boats .....

I was out there on Sunday as well, and like he said, there were not many boats. I felt like I had the lake to myself.

dixoncider
10-25-2014, 05:16 AM
no stripers=No people... It use to take 30 minutes on a Tuesday just to get in when the stripers were biting.

DEVOREFLYER
10-25-2014, 05:20 AM
no stripers=No people... I used to take 30 minutes on a Tuesday just to get in when the stripers were biting.

It is amazing that the Stripers have just seemed to have disappeared. No activity, no boils, nothing at all. What happened they were thicker than fleas last year. Lot of bait present this year, what happened????

Skinny
10-25-2014, 08:46 AM
They already ate all the food and died off. Lol

HawgZWylde
10-25-2014, 10:36 AM
They already ate all the food and died off. Lol

They ate themselves too. But Kwin did mention in another thread that the lake is stratified and below the thermocline there is a near 0% dissolved oxygen content. Striper are like Trout(DVL Brownies, holdovers) in the fact that they must have cooler water and a higher dissolved oxygen content combined to survive much less create a fertile environment to successfully reproduce. So if the cline started at 35ft and ended at say 45-50ft Stripey only has about a 15ft band with ideal water conditions(Cool+oxygen). That's putting a lot of fish in a small section of the water column. Now que in the fact that Shad and other baitfish also require cooler water and bingo, it's a 15 foot wide smorgasbord swimming around the lake. It makes sense because it takes years for the lake to fill up thus with the primary inlet on top and the secondary inlet deep down would create a multi-year perfect storm for successful Stripey reproduction and growth. With the constant current, at least in that part of it, the lake might not stratify, or at least have a much wider thermocline thus creating an ideal year round condition for reproduction and voracious Stripey feeding. Without cloud cover it takes longer for the deeper water temps to cool. As the sun gets lower in the sky, the deeper water will cool enough to end stratification and what's left of Stripey will finally come to the top of the water column.

Lol, well it makes sense to me anyhow...

Skinny
10-25-2014, 12:11 PM
You know what else disappeared? The smallmouth. I haven't seen a single one this whole year, i used to catch them with some regularity. I hope they haven't gone the way of the dodo bird.

HawgZWylde
10-25-2014, 01:12 PM
You know what else disappeared? The smallmouth. I haven't seen a single one this whole year, i used to catch them with some regularity. I hope they haven't gone the way of the dodo bird.

No they are there, I've caught several this year...

Skinny
10-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Thats good news! It's almost time to get after em.

HawgZWylde
10-25-2014, 02:22 PM
unfortunately due to the lack of people fishing, the word isn't being passed around about the bite being good. its good and bad. for the guys that are secretive; its awesome, for the business around; it's bad. give and take type of deal. when the only reports to be found on the internet are of people having slow times or on internet searches of guys having bad experiences; of course nobody's gonna want to come.

on any given day its hard pressed to find 20 boats in the lot. after 1:30-2:00 im usually one of the only trailers if the last trailer. for me it's awesome because i dont have to worry about bailing on spots for the fear of another angler being there. at the same time it sucks for the lake when they are in need of business. to keep a fishery open as great as it is, $$$ need to come through the gate.

in the mean time, the launch is excellent, the fish are biting and i'm having an absolute blast wrecking fish! its up to people whether or not they want in on the fall bite! :)

I'm totally guilty of not spreading the love Matt. My apologies to all. The bite has been pretty dang good at DVL most of the time for us. Sure there are those days where it's hot, totally glassy with Gin clear water that are a flat out a B*tch to catch fish on, but most of the time its been pretty good. The ones that leave as early as you posted are definitely missing a great afternoon bite. And most of the Stripey I caught in Fall last year were very late in the day...

BentRod
10-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Largemouth far and inbetween also. I have given up on DVL for now. Not the same lake anymore. Too bad!

noleash
10-26-2014, 01:39 AM

Snug as a bug in a rug.....Picked at a pile of rocks for Hours....One bite ONE fish....DVL .. PB .. Smallmouth Bass ..... Now is the Wallpaper on my Cell Phone! ..... "Question" How low are you willing to go for that ONE fish!?? Pretty cool when something makes you dig dep then rewards you with MAGIC!! :Razz:

Skinny
10-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Nice! And congrats on the PB. Whats the weight?

noleash
10-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Nice! And congrats on the PB. Whats the weight?

Didn't take time to weight it .... Roughly 17 long by 5 high .... 3.5 - 5.00 .... ??:Rolls Eyes:

Matt_Magnone
10-26-2014, 09:34 PM
i think the biggest thing is the fact that the lake these past few years has turned into a "real" lake. the days of just throwing random baits in the box and catching a 5 pounder every trip are over. now these fish have us working our butts off. to some its excellent but to a lot of folks it takes the fun in fishing out of the equation. diamond valley is like a smokin' ex girlfriend. you question why you put up with her and decide to bail for a while but when she bats her lashes and gives you that smirk; all you wanna do is get back on her again.

i love the challenge of this fishery. i've put countless hours in chasing the giants here and still have yet to scratch the surface. a tough, brutal, magnificent lake that truly tests your skill level! if you can figure this lake out; there's a reason why other lakes are just so much better. it's not the fact that the lakes "on" its the fact that diamond has taught you how to eliminate, fish strong and be confident!

noleash
10-26-2014, 09:57 PM
i think the biggest thing is the fact that the lake these past few years has turned into a "real" lake. the days of just throwing random baits in the box and catching a 5 pounder every trip are over. now these fish have us working our butts off. to some its excellent but to a lot of folks it takes the fun in fishing out of the equation. diamond valley is like a smokin' ex girlfriend. you question why you put up with her and decide to bail for a while but when she bats her lashes and gives you that smirk; all you wanna do is get back on her again.

i love the challenge of this fishery. i've put countless hours in chasing the giants here and still have yet to scratch the surface. a tough, brutal, magnificent lake that truly tests your skill level! if you can figure this lake out; there's a reason why other lakes are just so much better. it's not the fact that the lakes "on" its the fact that diamond has taught you how to eliminate, fish strong and be confident!

I have eliminated everything under 2.25#s:Big Grin:

noleash
10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
I have eliminated everything under 2.25#s:Big Grin:

Yah, Yah, Whatever Dude ! No really of the last 50 fish caught <10% have proably been under 2#s. In fact the day after the one bite one PB smallmouth fish was another one bite one Largmouth bass fish again around the 4-5 # range but this fish dug so hard that I thought my citica was going to start spitting gears!!! that fish is burned in my memory bank for life, and not a single been hooked before mark on HER!:Shocked:

Matt_Magnone
10-26-2014, 10:37 PM
you know what i meant. the first few years the lake was around, the fish were so stupid you didnt even have to really try as long as you had a basic understanding. sitting on humps in the middle of the lake throwing 4's and 5's back because you caught so damn many you were trying to cull your limit to a 6 pound average. thats swimbait bites that will blow your mind, carolina and jig bites till your fingers bled and when the shad were thick....... it was like the ocean. big largemouth blowing up 360 degrees around your boat. shad as thick as carpet in the backs of coves.

a lot of guys fishing this lake remember the good days and are trying to compare. fact of the matter is that hell yeah the fish are still there. they've just gotten smarter, moved deeper and switched forage base.

congrats on that pig smalley man.

noleash
10-26-2014, 11:32 PM
you know what i meant. the first few years the lake was around, the fish were so stupid you didnt even have to really try as long as you had a basic understanding. sitting on humps in the middle of the lake throwing 4's and 5's back because you caught so damn many you were trying to cull your limit to a 6 pound average. thats swimbait bites that will blow your mind, carolina and jig bites till your fingers bled and when the shad were thick....... it was like the ocean. big largemouth blowing up 360 degrees around your boat. shad as thick as carpet in the backs of coves.

a lot of guys fishing this lake remember the good days and are trying to compare. fact of the matter is that hell yeah the fish are still there. they've just gotten smarter, moved deeper and switched forage base.

congrats on that pig smalley man.

GREAT....Now I can't sleep!! Thanks Bro!

HawgZWylde
10-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Well said. Back in the day one could come here and wreck em every time. Now you still can but not every time. The Jewel can and will hand you your arse and send you home stinkin like a skunk if you don't put the time in to get to know her. I love this lake for better or for worse. It's the hunt, the catch is just the reward for the hard work...

noleash
10-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Have the weekends been crowed? I usually only go during the week and I'm thinking about going tomorrow.

The weekend crowds are minimal>However< anyone intrested in witnessing the magnificent 10 year lowwater event should come on down and marvell at the manificent underwater stucture that is high and dry. Pictured Postcard material I'm saying! :Shocked:

HawgZWylde
10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
The weekend crowds are minimal>However< anyone intrested in witnessing the magnificent 10 year lowwater event should come on down and marvell at the manificent underwater stucture that is high and dry. Pictured Postcard material I'm saying! :Shocked:

Lol, sshhh, then everyone will know all the secret structures around the lake at it's varying levels. Some really cool stuff up on those walls and ridges...

noleash
10-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Lol, sshhh, then everyone will know all the secret structures around the lake at it's varying levels. Some really cool stuff up on those walls and ridges...

After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies!

HawgZWylde
10-27-2014, 11:32 AM
After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies!

Well, they certainly have perfected the tactic of lockjaw on demand...

noleash
10-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Well, they certainly have perfected the tactic of lockjaw on demand...

Well said. Back in the day one could come here and wreck em every time. Now you still can but not every time. The Jewel can and will hand you your arse and send you home stinkin like a skunk if you don't put the time in to get to know her. I love this lake for better or for worse. It's the hunt, the catch is just the reward for the hard work..After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies! i think the biggest thing is the fact that the lake these past few years has turned into a "real" lake. the days of just throwing random baits in the box and catching a 5 pounder every trip are over. now these fish have us working our butts off. to some its excellent but to a lot of folks it takes the fun in fishing out of the equation. diamond valley is like a smokin' ex girlfriend. you question why you put up with her and decide to bail for a while but when she bats her lashes and gives you that smirk; all you wanna do is get back on her again.

i love the challenge of this fishery. i've put countless hours in chasing the giants here and still have yet to scratch the surface. a tough, brutal, magnificent lake that truly tests your skill level! if you can figure this lake out; there's a reason why other lakes are just so much better. it's not the fact that the lakes "on" its the fact that diamond has taught you how to eliminate, fish strong and be confident! After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies! Well, they certainly have perfected the tactic of lockjaw on demand...

noleash
10-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Well said. Back in the day one could come here and wreck em every time. Now you still can but not every time. The Jewel can and will hand you your arse and send you home stinkin like a skunk if you don't put the time in to get to know her. I love this lake for better or for worse. It's the hunt, the catch is just the reward for the hard work..After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies! i think the biggest thing is the fact that the lake these past few years has turned into a "real" lake. the days of just throwing random baits in the box and catching a 5 pounder every trip are over. now these fish have us working our butts off. to some its excellent but to a lot of folks it takes the fun in fishing out of the equation. diamond valley is like a smokin' ex girlfriend. you question why you put up with her and decide to bail for a while but when she bats her lashes and gives you that smirk; all you wanna do is get back on her again.

i love the challenge of this fishery. i've put countless hours in chasing the giants here and still have yet to scratch the surface. a tough, brutal, magnificent lake that truly tests your skill level! if you can figure this lake out; there's a reason why other lakes are just so much better. it's not the fact that the lakes "on" its the fact that diamond has taught you how to eliminate, fish strong and be confident! After further investigating I've concluded that the fish in DVL have become products of an " diagenetically altered " speCIAcies! Well, they certainly have perfected the tactic of lockjaw on demand...

NAY..... BEDFISHING doesn't have any effect on a fishery..... Not At All .........DUH.......:Rolls Eyes:

noleash
10-28-2014, 09:22 AM
NAY..... BEDFISHING doesn't have any effect on a fishery..... Not At All .........DUH.......:Rolls Eyes:

All "Joking" aside! .....How about a LOCKJAW 1000 touny that only 5#+ fish will be weighed at days end and the top 5 anglers will be invited to take on the 5 top BASS anglers in the country?!! That is if those anglers are willing to test their skills against the mighty LOCKJAW bass of DVL>>....';';';';';......:Razz:PS all public welcome to participate!!:Smile:

seal
10-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Diagenetically? Fish are rocks?

noleash
10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Diagenetically? Fish are rocks?

The 4+#er that Dug so hard I thought my 200 series shimano reel was going to spit gears certainly felt like A quartz based tectonic pressured "Diagenetically" formed ROCK! EEEE HAAAA!:Shocked:

DarkShadow
10-28-2014, 05:13 PM
They ate themselves too. But Kwin did mention in another thread that the lake is stratified and below the thermocline there is a near 0% dissolved oxygen content. Striper are like Trout(DVL Brownies, holdovers) in the fact that they must have cooler water and a higher dissolved oxygen content combined to survive much less create a fertile environment to successfully reproduce. So if the cline started at 35ft and ended at say 45-50ft Stripey only has about a 15ft band with ideal water conditions(Cool+oxygen). That's putting a lot of fish in a small section of the water column. Now que in the fact that Shad and other baitfish also require cooler water and bingo, it's a 15 foot wide smorgasbord swimming around the lake. It makes sense because it takes years for the lake to fill up thus with the primary inlet on top and the secondary inlet deep down would create a multi-year perfect storm for successful Stripey reproduction and growth. With the constant current, at least in that part of it, the lake might not stratify, or at least have a much wider thermocline thus creating an ideal year round condition for reproduction and voracious Stripey feeding. Without cloud cover it takes longer for the deeper water temps to cool. As the sun gets lower in the sky, the deeper water will cool enough to end stratification and what's left of Stripey will finally come to the top of the water column.

Lol, well it makes sense to me anyhow...

Doesn't that mean that they are confined to a smaller area than ever before, thus targeting them even easier? Why aren't cooler fulls of stripers being hauled from the lake if they are now restricted to a smaller area of the lake?

I'd hate to think that even the stripers don't have anything to eat anymore that they themselves are dying and their population is also affected.

HawgZWylde
10-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Doesn't that mean that they are confined to a smaller area than ever before, thus targeting them even easier? Why aren't cooler fulls of stripers being hauled from the lake if they are now restricted to a smaller area of the lake?

I'd hate to think that even the stripers don't have anything to eat anymore that they themselves are dying and their population is also affected.

When the lake stratifies yes. As for coolers full of Stripey? While I don't target Stripey, I haven't seen big boils in a couple of years. There are Stripers still in the lake but their population seems to have been diminished greatly. As for the cause? I gave my best guess in the post you responded to. There's tons of various bait fish in DVL. Just today I saw massive amounts of gills in several areas and some small schools of baitfish around the lake. Pretty sure they were Silversides. I haven't physically seen Shad yet. The Shad population has not rebounded to levels seen a few years ago. As low as the lake is now, a reduced Stripey population is probably just what the doc ordered...

cutbait
10-28-2014, 09:11 PM
So none of you are buying Hardcor's theory of commercialized poaching that killed the population?

HawgZWylde
10-28-2014, 09:27 PM
So none of you are buying Hardcor's theory of commercialized poaching that killed the population?

Poaching and over-limits definitely played a role but when you factor in Striper overpopulation, a low lake level, a damaged forage base and lake stratification all created a perfect storm for a big Stripey depopulation. They're still there and when the primary and secondary are blowin, Stripey will return in numbers. At least that's my opinion.

Matt_Magnone
10-29-2014, 04:49 AM
think about it guys. how many boaters fish the lake on a daily basis as of late?
maybe 10 boats.

how many of those boats are fishing for stripers mainly?
maybe 3 boats

of those 3 boats how many are versed on the many techniques to catch them as opposed to just doing what they "want" to do like the fly, swimbait umbrella rigs?
maybe 1 as the majority of striper guys as of late are literally the guys that are one dimensional that always strip the fly or throw swimbaits. yes there are a smattering of rentals or private boats that go out with the intention of catching a striper. they may fish for them half the day or whatever but still.

think about it. if guys are only fishing 1 singular style how can anyone make the assumption that stripers are dead in the fishery when that angler never exhauseted the many other techniques that could have produced. the guys that fish for them are still catching them. when you strip a tiny fly across the lake and are limited to a specific depth zone there's really not much you can do to drive a school. same thing goes with the swimbait. when the time just isn't optimal; it's just not optimal. literally nobody is fishing for the stripers that are trully FISHING for them. its one or two techniques or "the stripers just aren't there and i'm going home". if people tried to figure them out im sure there'd be a lot more caught.

what about the cut bait guys? havent seen them for a while?

seal
10-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Boils are not really an indicator of the striper population I think. The lack of shad is probably the reason for fewer open water or group boils. The low water levels last couple years during periods when the stripers typically spawn could be affecting populations. If no flow coming in or going out conditions may not be conducive to striper re-population.

That would be my guess if indeed the striper population is down. Commercial fishing? Lol! Only striper population that could take a hit from the fish being taken is the larger ones that take many years to get to that size, same situation at other lakes. When the meat farmers start taking the bigger ones I think that size can get fished out.

Just a guess!

noleash
10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
All the Bass in the lake are so STUFFED with Blugill and Babybass that they just are not intrested in peoples artificial baits.... Give it some time and it will be business as usual!:EyePop:

noleash
10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
All the Bass in the lake are so STUFFED with Blugill and Babybass that they just are not intrested in peoples artificial baits.... Give it some time and it will be business as usual!:EyePop:

Understanding that people are not really interested in my "Philosophy" but here it is..... Mr Stripe heads for the Ladders every night after closing and Stuffs themselves on giant schools of Blugill all night long. Then "Understading the acustical nature of the lake" at first "hint" of motor noise,spends the next 10-12 hours in a giant school AVOIDING boat traffic! GOOOOOOD LUCK !!:LOL:

Matt_Magnone
10-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Boils are not really an indicator of the striper population I think. The lack of shad is probably the reason for fewer open water or group boils. The low water levels last couple years during periods when the stripers typically spawn could be affecting populations. If no flow coming in or going out conditions may not be conducive to striper re-population.

That would be my guess if indeed the striper population is down. Commercial fishing? Lol! Only striper population that could take a hit from the fish being taken is the larger ones that take many years to get to that size, same situation at other lakes. When the meat farmers start taking the bigger ones I think that size can get fished out.

Just a guess!

i agree. yesterday i was on the water and had a big school of stripers rush the boat. i was fishing a jig in 40' and was getting ready to pick it up and move spots. i burned the bait in and on the retrieve get absolutely man handled. on the wind, i saw a school of quality 10-15 pound fish come up with it. normally i see that grade of fish solitary on dvl but they all came in at once. i think the fish are in greater quantities than most people think. i do believe what you're saying about the flow. if i remember correctly i think greg silks told me that their eggs needed 48 hours of of incubation or something. at that time they can not touch bottom. correct me if i'm wrong. im sure if the wind is cooking they would have significant "hang time" but who knows. Im definitely not a striper expert but do love fishing for them. not sure about their metabolism, but why is it that nearly every striper that hits the filet board has absolutely nothing in its stomach besides the random fish in the winter with a fresh trout? i never understood that one.

Steve, i learned from greg silks about motor noise and what he told me influences the way i throw a swimbait. a fish knows your in the water before you motor in an area. i completely agree with everything you said.

HawgZWylde
10-31-2014, 07:57 AM
i agree. yesterday i was on the water and had a big school of stripers rush the boat. i was fishing a jig in 40' and was getting ready to pick it up and move spots. i burned the bait in and on the retrieve get absolutely man handled. on the wind, i saw a school of quality 10-15 pound fish come up with it. normally i see that grade of fish solitary on dvl but they all came in at once. i think the fish are in greater quantities than most people think. i do believe what you're saying about the flow. if i remember correctly i think greg silks told me that their eggs needed 48 hours of of incubation or something. at that time they can not touch bottom. correct me if i'm wrong. im sure if the wind is cooking they would have significant "hang time" but who knows. Im definitely not a striper expert but do love fishing for them. not sure about their metabolism, but why is it that nearly every striper that hits the filet board has absolutely nothing in its stomach besides the random fish in the winter with a fresh trout? i never understood that one.

Steve, i learned from greg silks about motor noise and what he told me influences the way i throw a swimbait. a fish knows your in the water before you motor in an area. i completely agree with everything you said.

You are correct Matt, a fertilized Stripey egg must float for 48 hours without coming into contact with anything. It even has a small oil globule on it to assist in buoyancy. There are plenty of pig Stripey left in the lake but what I haven't seen is large amounts of schoolies like in the past that could indicate that they're spawns haven't been quite as successful as when the primary and secondary inlets are flowing which does two things, it prevents stratification at least in that end of the lake, and it increases current which is why when the water is flowing into the lake the deep secondary is a go to spot. Greg Silks himself inadvertently let the cat out of the bag on that one a few years back.

A few years ago when the Stripey debates (wars) were going on here I did some pretty extensive research on Striper and put together a pretty informative post re: Stripey spawning and feeding habits but those threads became pretty nasty and I bailed on the them never posting what I found. Stripey must eat 5% of it's body weight a day in order to remain healthy and grow. That's a lot of forage, especially when they reach DD size. Stripey also out spawns most other fish and a DD Stripey can produce up to 3 million eggs per year and they spawn more than once a year. An LMB in comparison produces about 40,000 eggs per year. Some say more, up to 100,000 but most studies I've seen says that 40,000 number is about right.

In DVL, Threadfin Shad is the primary forage for Stripey and their numbers are down so Stripey then turns to anything it can eat due to their voracious feeding habit, including themselves (and Bows). So between lake stratification and a lower forage base of their primary meal, Shad, might explain the lower number of schoolie sized Stripey currently in the lake. It also explains why so much of DVL's other forage are greatly reduced.

I posted about this earlier in this thread, on page two, what I learned from Kwin re: lake stratification and how it might be affecting the Stripey population. It doesn't affect the LMB as much because they prefer warmer water than Stripey. But stratification definitely affects Stripey and certain forage fish as far as their fecundity is concerned.

DVL has some of the most "learned" fish known to man, lol...

noleash
10-31-2014, 08:49 AM
What "IF" We could get Stripy to could cross bread with LMB ? :LOL:

Stormcrow
10-31-2014, 08:53 AM
The Big Torpedoes will come out with the first trout stocking...