PDA

View Full Version : Yakin BBL 10/18

tomar19
10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Took the yak up to BBL on Sat. in search of fall weather and some trout. I got a late start and did not launch until about 11:40. Air temp was in the mid 60s* and the water was slightly cooler. Water was a little on the green side and the lake level was probably about 3' lower then when I was there in early August (about 11' below full now). I launched off of the north shore on the west end of the lake, between the many shore anglers. I headed toward the dam on a slow troll with the same set up I used in the summer, changing weights and speed on each pass. No action around the buoys, so I started working east first along the north shore for nada, then I crossed over to the south shore and started getting bit. I pulled to nice crappie to the yak and the skunk was gone. A little later I picked up the first and last trout of the day. Nothing spectacular, just your average 1lbs rainbow. I was getting bit like crazy just east of China island, and found a stack of crappie, and they were slabs. Had some fun pulling one after the other for about a dozen in 30 minutes or so. All fish were released and I went looking for more trout. Had a couple nice takes, but was unable to get them to the net before it was time to pack it in. Nice day up on the mountain, with light boat traffic and some great crappie action. The trout are still playing hard to get for me, I may have to give it one more try before I start hitting the lower lakes.

Tight lines,

Tony

Glenn
10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a good day on the lake.

seal
10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Crappie are always stacked up along the island. If things are slow head to the island for a tug.

redondo todd
10-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Was that you in the orange yak, near the dam .I was on the buoy next to the log boom in my glastron with the family , only managed a very large bullhead , Todd.

tomar19
10-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Was that you in the orange yak, near the dam .I was on the buoy next to the log boom in my glastron with the family , only managed a very large bullhead , Todd.

Yep, that was me on the orange pedal drive kayak. I might take it up again this weekend, not a bad way to spend the day.

Tony

redondo todd
10-20-2014, 03:40 PM
We took the boat down the hill ,it was getting too cold (below freezing ) at night to keep it up there without winterizing it every time we took it out , see you next year on the boat. I will be shore bound until next spring, Todd.

GdHkSet1
10-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Nice job on the slabs.. Overall how was overall weekend boat traffic?

tomar19
10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Moved report to new thread.