PDA

View Full Version : I want to pay it forward

Matt_Magnone
10-19-2014, 01:43 AM
I post this under the Diamond Valley Forum as a site sponsored tackle shop and a life long lover of the sport of bass fishing. The many people on this particular forum location know who I am and I've been able to build a relationship with many unlike other sections of this site so I feel this is the best place to put this post.

If you take the time to read this, I'm sure it will be worth your time or a kid you may know. This is my way of "Paying It Forward" to a kid that shares the love of bass fishing as I did growing up. I warn you it's long, but it's a Tackle Giveaway.

I recently saw a "status" on a group called "Swimbait Universe" where a man reminisced of his childhood and the level of stoked he felt when he received his first swimbait. He talked about paying it forward. This prompted me to post one of my own. Not enough good going around these days to pass this opportunity up.

Growing up in the sport of bass fishing, since I was barely old enough to hold a fishing rod, I was brought up fishing the deep finesse style of worm fishing. Some of my earliest recollections were of shaking texas rigs with my dad in 60'of water at San Vicente Reservoir in the Winter. 1/8-3/16 6" AA's curltail worms on 6'6" pistol gripped Kennedy Fisher custom wrapped rods and 6# test. I can still feel the freezing wind coming from Barona and Kimball arms. Like a typical youngster I always asked him why do we have to fish deep and why can't we fish in the Spring. He always pointed the boat into the wind and kept doodlin' avoiding giving me an answer. I literally never fished the bed bite or in the Spring until I was probably 12 or 13 years old. Strictly in the Winter. Little did I know all of it was for a reason I wouldn't understand until now. KNOWLEDGE and DEDICATION!

Around 1996 I bought my first swimbait with the idea of catching GIANT bass and started putting my time in. I was a "water plower" for quite a while but the KNOWLEDGE and DEDICATION I learned as a youth would pave the path to the style of fishing I pursue today. For the longest time I ground these baits into the dirt. Basstrix, Optimum, Castaic AC and whatever else I can't remember at this time never getting as much as a swirl. At the time there were guys fishing the big stuff, but unlike today there wasn't a knowledge base large enough that was willing to help or at the very least share privileged info. Hell at that time, people used to laugh when they saw a bait that big.

Today, I have the privilege and have had the privilege to pull on some very nice sized bass utilizing a method I worked my butt off growing up to perfect to the best of my own abilities. Growing up I never asked for anything. I never asked my mom or dad to buy me tackle, I never asked for presents on my birthday only asked to go fishing on my days off from school. What equipment I bought came from allowance or birthday money. All my friends had the nice gear while I was running ragged 1970's and 80's gear. Now I'm in a position, with my profession, to be able to afford any top of the line equipment I can get my hands on. It was a wild path, but I'm here and humbled.

I want to PAY IT FORWARD. I want to provide a kid getting into this sport with a couple swim baits from my own personal collection and a $50.00 Last Chance Bait and Tackle Gift Card, either for in-store or online depending upon where they live, in the hopes that he or she can experience the journey that led to my obsession with big bass fishing today.

If you are a kid, have a kid or knows of a kid that loves this sport with every inch of "his or her" being, please nominate "he or she" and at the end of November I will pick a name and provide them with a few baits from my own stock. Because school wasn't part of my "favorite" activities, I never valued education when I was younger. This is something I somewhat regret to this day. "He or She" must show good standing in school and share a love for the outdoors as I did when I was younger.

Nominations to be sent as a Private Message.

Rules:
- Must be 18 years old or younger
- Picture of their latest report card
- "He or She" must pay something forward, of their own, after receiving the gift

Here's what I'm looking for as an entry:

1.) Name-
2.) Age-
3.) Location-
4.) Paragraph explaining why they deserve this gift
5.) Photo of them with a fish

Thanks for reading
-Matt

gcopple
10-19-2014, 06:01 PM
cool thing to do Matt.

HawgZWylde
10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Matt, you're a stand up guy dude. Kudos to ya bro...

Big-Bob
10-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Wow. That is awesome right there!

DEVOREFLYER
10-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Great story Matt and a very generous offer to some deserving junior fisherman. Kudo's to you.:UDaMan:

Bucket
10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Thumbs up , thats a good thimg what youre doing

Glenn
10-20-2014, 08:55 AM
You'll make some kid's day for sure!

JDS13
10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
That cool stuff bro, I think I might have a great kid to nominate.

Dsrt Tortise
10-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Matt,
I just want to say that if I had a son I wish him to be like you. I'm sure you have made your parents proud:!!!::!!!: Maybe one day I will meet you at DVL and we may shake hands.
Tight lines

Dsrt Tortise :Fishing Hole::Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch::Applause:

Baja1ab
10-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Very cool :Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Matt_Magnone
10-20-2014, 10:53 PM
i just know that growing up around fishing as much as i was, i always saw the kids that had the parents that bought them everything whether they deserved it or not. my parents without a doubt have supported my habit since i was in diapers. true story, i have a picture standing on the trolling motor pedal with a baitcaster in my hand haha.

anyway, i ground the gear that was my dads into the dirt until i could afford my own baitcast set up. my first true rod and reel that was my own was one that i had won in a tournament. i hopped the fence to a private community lake and entered their bass tournament. i won the even with only one fish :D.

needless to say growing up not having things like the next guy, taught me it wasn't all about the material. it was about the passion and the willingness to learn and get better for yourself. now that im in the position that im in, i really want to find a kid that was "just like me" in away. id like to see a kid who either cant afford, doesnt have or just wants to learn given a gift from me to boost them towards their dreams.

noleash
10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
i just know that growing up around fishing as much as i was, i always saw the kids that had the parents that bought them everything whether they deserved it or not. my parents without a doubt have supported my habit since i was in diapers. true story, i have a picture standing on the trolling motor pedal with a baitcaster in my hand haha.

anyway, i ground the gear that was my dads into the dirt until i could afford my own baitcast set up. my first true rod and reel that was my own was one that i had won in a tournament. i hopped the fence to a private community lake and entered their bass tournament. i won the even with only one fish :D.

needless to say growing up not having things like the next guy, taught me it wasn't all about the material. it was about the passion and the willingness to learn and get better for yourself. now that im in the position that im in, i really want to find a kid that was "just like me" in away. id like to see a kid who either cant afford, doesnt have or just wants to learn given a gift from me to boost them towards their dreams.

There is an army of youth here in Hemet that would snap at such an offer! In fact with the help of Lastchance, DVL Marina and one of their Poontoon boats,not just one less fortunate but a small group at a time could experiance the Matt Magnone bass rush! Each weekend could be the experance of a lifetime for a different group! Then it could evolve into something resembling Disnyland accross SO Cal! DO IT!!!!!Become a Sombody while you have the LASTCHANCE!!!:Cool:

noleash
10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
There is an army of youth here in Hemet that would snap at such an offer! In fact with the help of Lastchance, DVL Marina and one of their Poontoon boats,not just one less fortunate but a small group at a time could experiance the Matt Magnone bass rush! Each weekend could be the experance of a lifetime for a different group! Then it could evolve into something resembling Disnyland accross SO Cal! DO IT!!!!!Become a Sombody while you have the LASTCHANCE!!!:Cool:

But WAIT it gets even BETTER; If given the chance to either choose between a meth pipe or the Matt Magone bass experiance and that kid chooses the latter, it could in fact save his or hers life and .... who knows .... that person could be the one that cures cancer! Great trends, Ideas, and people used to be a Trademark of So Cal why should this Idea be any different!:Cool:

Lake,sHiFter's
10-21-2014, 07:23 PM
🙏That's awesome 💯👍

HuskerRod
10-22-2014, 12:14 PM
That is a neat deal there

troutdog
10-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Great read and awesome gesture....way to pay it forward Matt!

TD

EatSleepAndFish
10-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Wishing I was a kid, but I'm just a wee bit over at age 45.

Very impressive Matt. Congrats to you for your actions!

ToadsToadsOnly
11-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Hey Matt,

That is awesome that you are starting a program like this on here, what you might want to add is donation for the program are welcome. If you like I have some Lucky Craft Lures and some senkos and plastics I would love to send to you. I was truly amazed how many people were willing to donate to a good cause on SU Facebook page it is always to give back once a while. Also congratulations on your life change with choosing a healthy life.

Jonathan Nguyen

-Pay It Forward-

so cal bass fishermen
11-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Nominations to be sent as a Private Message.

Rules:
- Must be 18 years old or younger
- Picture of their latest report card
- "He or She" must pay something forward, of their own, after receiving the gift

Here's what I'm looking for as an entry:

1.) Name-
2.) Age-
3.) Location-
4.) Paragraph explaining why they deserve this gift
5.) Photo of them with a fish

Thanks for reading
-Matt

Matt,
My name is Adam and I am 14 years old. I sent you my application a few days ago but I have not received a confirmation on the Private Message. In my message I said that I could not figure out how to attach pictures to the Private Message. It seems to work different from posts. I need to provide my grades and a picture of me holding a bass per the rules. Please check your private messages and let me know if there is another way to get you my stuff for the contest.
Thank you.
Adam

SurfCityUSA
12-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Matt, how did your contest end up? Did you find the kid you were looking for?

Matt_Magnone
12-17-2014, 09:05 PM
i actually decided to give every entrant something. seeing as how shipping is a little gnarly i decided to space it out so it doesn't eat me alive after all I work in a tackle shop :). I've given a handful of kids some gifts already and still have another half i've yet to send. this next pay check i hope to have everything given out.

Skinny
12-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Thats toads dude, Merry Christmas kids...