PDA

View Full Version : Perris , minnows galore!!!!

crappiemike
10-14-2014, 06:36 PM
I heard that were tons of bait
In the marina area so I had to
Check it out, fished the dock
Today in hoping to catch a slab
Or two' gate opens at six and
Still pitch dark!!!!! Birds and bass
Busting the surface everywhere....
There was so much bait in the water
You can walk across the marina... Lol,
With all the minnows it was a slow but
Nice day,, ended up with a nice gill on
The bait and four bass/)(.. The bass are in
There in big numbers if you want them...

Here's a couPle shots;

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y363/crappiemike13/59DEF1CA-693F-44D6-B7DF-22B329AFFACF-1548-000001A1828BE647_zps8df0d2b6.jpg

Bass are in the one to three pound range

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y363/crappiemike13/BDD409D9-1B17-481F-9908-AE01ABE34CC8-1548-000001A18E595C3D_zps1da2f4c0.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y363/crappiemike13/31BD605B-83B7-4B03-B192-C748AA45569C-1548-000001A17495C29D_zpse5252de4.jpg

Fall is here and the docks are
Full of bait;

Cm

Baja1ab
10-14-2014, 08:40 PM
The whole lake has been swarming with them for weeks. At night near the dam there are literally schools of thousands. The first time I was out there at night I kept hearing this bubbling sort of sound. Shined my light in the water and was absolutely blown away.

shanerr
10-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Any idea what kind of baitfish they are?

seal
10-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Most likely silverside's.

SpinnerBaitKing
10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Yeah that's what they are. I find that the fishing isn't so good with those things there, but much better when the threadfins are out and about. Any take on that?
Any idea what kind of baitfish they are?

seal
10-15-2014, 03:51 PM
The shad I think is the preferred forage for many of the predators but silversides are eaten as well. Matching the hatch is important, as is with any bait you are trying to replicate. Downsize and change your pattern to replicate a silverside.

Pete Marino
10-15-2014, 05:38 PM
those are Delta smelt...

seal
10-15-2014, 06:01 PM
those are Delta smelt...

Shows ya what I know.

DEVOREFLYER
10-15-2014, 06:49 PM
those are Delta smelt...

Kill um all, we need the water, screw those little fish.:Envious:

crappiemike
10-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Most likely silverside's.

Looks like your right with the
Silverside,,, here's a dried up
One FHA that me and leadhead
Got on the docks last year under
The floating lights,, look at the
Lower jaw sticking out further
Than the top, if you check the
Delta it's not there................

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y363/crappiemike13/814A5F1E-E43D-4150-BF56-22C2FC764066-1548-000001DACD03EB77_zps6100aeab.jpg

Cm

DEVOREFLYER
10-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Looks like your right with the
Silverside,,, here's a dried up
One FHA that me and leadhead
Got on the docks last year under
The floating lights,, look at the
Lower jaw sticking out further
Than the top, if you check the
Delta it's not there................

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y363/crappiemike13/814A5F1E-E43D-4150-BF56-22C2FC764066-1548-000001DACD03EB77_zps6100aeab.jpg

Cm

It's a damn baby Tarpon!!!!!! lol

crappiemike
10-15-2014, 07:32 PM
It's a damn baby Tarpon!!!!!! lol

Lol..............

Cm

Pete Marino
10-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Good observation Crappie.... Now Im unsure... I can tell silversides when I see them in the lake along the surface and the same with the Delta Smelt... Hard to tell in the bucket except for them being elongated. Most silversides Ive seen in the lake are wider and well more silver... regardless though there are a lot of them in the lake but the bass are chewing them....but if you find the thread fins...youll find the better bite and better bass..

Pete

jaque1579
10-16-2014, 10:54 AM
how did you manager to catch so many bait? They move so fast whenever I tried to net them.

crappiemike
10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
how did you manager to catch so many bait? They move so fast whenever I tried to net them.

I brought my shad net,,,, works
Really good, scoop in the opposite
Direction wich way there going....

There were so many they were floating
With the sun up!!!

Get out there , put a little split on and
I was nose hooking, there not as fragile
Like the shad are.....then put it down
Right under the bait balls,,,,

The bass were jumping right out of the
Water for them suckers!!!
Good luck you should get them'

Cm

seal
10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Ok not to be that guy and not even sure of the DFW's position on this. I thought that only shad, and in Diego shiners, were allowed to be used live in our area?

But here's the regs. on bait fish use in the Southern region.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

4.10. BAIT FISH USE IN THE SOUTHERN
DISTRICT.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall
not be used or possessed for use as bait in the
Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw
mudsucker may be used in all Southern District
waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the
location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in
San Diego County

Pete Marino
10-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Very good point Seal...and IF they are indeed the delta smelt that would be a huge nono because they are trying to protect them up north.

Pete

crappiemike
10-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Ok not to be that guy and not even sure of the DFW's position on this. I thought that only shad, and in Diego shiners, were allowed to be used live in our area?

But here's the regs. on bait fish use in the Southern region.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

4.10. BAIT FISH USE IN THE SOUTHERN
DISTRICT.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall
not be used or possessed for use as bait in the
Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw
mudsucker may be used in all Southern District
waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the
location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in
San Diego County

Ok, the bass sure love them!!, LOL...........

Who knows this one???

Cm

d1LedHed
10-17-2014, 07:20 AM
cm - phone was off. Big slay on the BGs until the wind picked up. Got one that was almost 11". BG bite was off the hook yesterday - lot of 10" fish. Getting them in the marina too. Need to do the nite bite for the Crappie - you know they are there... Like to do it this week but mite be going to Havasu.
Side note - got a juvenile spotty in the marina the other day.

seal
10-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Ok, the bass sure love them!!, LOL...........

Who knows this one???

Cm

I do but the choice is yours to make. Regs. are pretty straight forward, be careful.

crappiemike
10-17-2014, 09:07 AM
cm - phone was off. Big slay on the BGs until the wind picked up. Got one that was almost 11". BG bite was off the hook yesterday - lot of 10" fish. Getting them in the marina too. Need to do the nite bite for the Crappie - you know they are there... Like to do it this week but mite be going to Havasu.
Side note - got a juvenile spotty in the marina the other day.

Dock fishing is a different story; should of brought
The boat.....nice job sticking them gills!!...........

Cm

SurfCityUSA
10-20-2014, 12:59 AM
The post with the minnow in someone's hand matches Silversides for sure. The picture is dead on and the description of the habitat is correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_silverside

Delta smelt - way different
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Delta_smelt_fish_in_hand.jpg

You would think if they were Delta smelt they would close down Perris and stop the draining of the lake for dam restoration. After all, that is why they won't send water down the CA aqueduct.
Then we would really be screwed no dam fixing and no fishing. J/K of course.

exfactor
10-20-2014, 01:59 AM
any bait that is indigenious to the lake is legal to use.

kwin
10-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Seal is correct, CA Regs specify only threadfin shad may be used and must be from the lake where taken by dip net. Shiners are not legal in Riverside County. The fish pictured are inland silversides, (Menidia beryllina). There is no record of delta smelt in SoCal, though confirmed Japanese pond smelt, aka wakasagi from DVL and Perris. They look very similar to delta smelt with slight/subtle differences to gill raker counts, pyloric caeca, anal fin rays.

Pete Marino
10-20-2014, 02:53 PM
good clarification Kwin... okay so scratch the Delta smelt comment and insert the Japanese pond smelt... my bad... I knew they were a smelt though..haha...
Ive just always called them Delta smelt though because I didn't know the difference between it and the pond smelt.... good stuff!!

Pete

Ian
10-21-2014, 01:50 PM
You would think with all this bait at the surface, the schoolie stripers would be up and boiling....

seal
10-21-2014, 02:40 PM
You would think with all this bait at the surface, the schoolie stripers would be up and boiling....

I believe stripers tend to group boil more on shad than silversides. I think it's the behavior of shad and where the bait is located (open water) that causes the stripers to boil. With silversides you are more looking at a "slurp" condition than an actual eruption type boil.

d1LedHed
10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Lot of boils today! Pretty sure they were stripers.... Right outside of the marina.

jw4Bassing
10-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Lot of boils today! Pretty sure they were stripers.... Right outside of the marina.

What time of the day was this and Thanks for the Info

sodapop
10-22-2014, 11:23 PM

I know Perris has a few 30lb stripers, but boils I had never seen mentioned, is Perris becoming like the other duct lakes?

SpinnerBaitKing
10-23-2014, 11:09 AM
They're Silversides. This explains one of the first times I brought my father out here to Perris. I was fishing big plastic and stick baits and managed one bass while my father was fishing 1/8 oz leadheads with small white and red jib bodies. He was up 7 on me. Needless to say, I changed up. I never bring my big stuff to Perris. Small plastics and tons of leadheads. There is nothing like fishing a small pole and small jigs there. The pole just kinda gets stuck and the fight is on. I love that lake and wish I was closer.
My father also fishes the smallest baits at the LBC jetties. He does alright. He catches all the little fish haha.

crappiemike
11-07-2014, 07:40 PM
They're Silversides. This explains one of the first times I brought my father out here to Perris. I was fishing big plastic and stick baits and managed one bass while my father was fishing 1/8 oz leadheads with small white and red jib bodies. He was up 7 on me. Needless to say, I changed up. I never bring my big stuff to Perris. Small plastics and tons of leadheads. There is nothing like fishing a small pole and small jigs there. The pole just kinda gets stuck and the fight is on. I love that lake and wish I was closer.
My father also fishes the smallest baits at the LBC jetties. He does alright. He catches all the little fish haha.

Ya you know what I'm talking about!!
Some of the regulars don't know!!!!
LOL...............

Cm