PDA

View Full Version : National "take a vet fishing' day

anchor3n1
10-09-2014, 10:56 PM
:Secret:A MYSTERY
IMHO I believe with all my heart that each of us is meant to give back and live to make a difference. No I am not preaching. But I do want to share one "secret" to a happier life. The most basic and universal need of every human being is to be acknowledged, to be recognized. Nothing makes a person's day like being genuinely/warmly greeted by another fellow human. It's a form of giving back. However if you recognize others needs and seek to meet them as you have opportunity then fantastic. It might be that you give - money, food, a hug, etc. Your recognition/acknowledgment of a fellow human being is what matters. They are blessed, and guess what? You will be too!!!

:Wink:WELL WHY NOT?
My friend Harold is that kind of person!!!

He is a disabled army veteran. He served our country for 20 years before he had to retire. He is the gentlest, kindest, compassionate, most humble soul I know. Late last year he told he that for years he's been going to the Ventura pier to fish and never caught a thing. So I told him that I would take him fishing with me on the surf and he will catch something. That day he was so excited just like when I tell one of my girls were going to get a smoothie or sumpin.:LOL: If you've read some of my earlier posts, you know I've taken Harold out 3 times (although one time he fell and hurt himself). However it's been many months since the last time I took him out. I realized this fact the other day when I saw Harold at church so I made a point to ask him if he'd like to go fishing again with me. We did this week! It was my own "take a vet fishing' day:Surprised: My opportunity to give to someone who gave so much to protect us land our way of life (a big thank you to all our military folks for your service!!!)

:Big Smile:TODAY IS HAROLD'S DAY
Harold wanted to catch some big BSP. I didn't want to disappoint him. We arrived at our first area of operations just before grey light- a place only military folks can access. Last time we were here this place was astounding. Bummer:Neutral:Today, not so much. The last few months of big wave action wiped the spot out. So we moved to my "go-to" AO. However, even here the spot was pretty messed up with sand where it ought not be and missing structure. Plus the 'southern hemisphere' was pumping - big waves and strong uphill current. So what!!! Time to make the best of it.

:Rolls Eyes:STILL KICKING
Yup the lug worms that I left behind in the fridge that were meant for HG6 were still there. The night before I took em' out of the fridge with my girls at a safe distance from me (they wanted to see but not smell). Then I hesitantly but with purpose opened the first of two lugworm containers. I expected after 2 weeks in the fridge to be greeted with a slimy stinky mess... :Bug Eyes: Nope, they were alive. So I took them with me the next morning and my wife thanked me:Envious:

:Cool:SO...?
OK I taught Harold how to put a lugworm on a hook and let him go. It was a struggle to keep him in the strike zone. But he was successful and caught himself 4 BSP. Not what I would call a great session but Harold was ecstatic. He loved it and was so grateful. On second thought it was a FANTASTIC session.

Harold caught some nice BSP, He learned how to "read" the conditions and the beach for structure, etc. He learned about tides and their importance for different AO's and for different target species. He even learned how not hold a fish by the gills. He can't wait for our next "take a vet fishing" day (me too).

Here's Harold holding one of his prize BSPs. Way to go Harold!!!

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/anchor3n1/Harold1014_zpsc4c7c68d.jpg (http://s860.photobucket.com/user/anchor3n1/media/Harold1014_zpsc4c7c68d.jpg.html)

Take care,

Nick

BTW: if you have a chance, take a vet fishing sometime. It's a blast:LOL:

DEVOREFLYER
10-10-2014, 05:15 AM
anchor3n1 your story is so true. Over the years I have participated in a number of Wounded Warrior and Veteran Appreciation fishing events. It has been both a humbling and life rewarding experience each time and I would not trade it for anything. I have always made it a point to approach a service person when I see them in uniform and thank them for their service.

SP Dan
10-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi ya anchor3n1,

By the look of Harold's smile and by the fish in his hand .... I'd say that you and your friend had a FANTASTIC session Nick!

Thank you for the giving your time ..... in honoring our soldiers. :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan ..... <"))><

Jaysuuun
10-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Nick, very inspiring report. Excellent job on putting harold on some fish. I can tell by his smile that he appreciates your efforts.

Wingnut
10-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Bravo Nick, way to give back to those who sacrifice themselves for our freedom. :Applause:
I'll be in touch soon... :Wink:

bachiboy
10-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Very very cool report and outing Nick! The smile on Harold's face is priceless. Way to go man!!!:Applause:

Don

murrieta angler
10-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Morning Nick,
Very nice and inspiring report...:Big Grin:
It's reports like this make me proud to be a member of this site...:High Five:
May God Bless You & Your Family Brother,
Robert
<><

anchor3n1
10-15-2014, 07:15 PM
anchor3n1 your story is so true. Over the years I have participated in a number of Wounded Warrior and Veteran Appreciation fishing events. It has been both a humbling and life rewarding experience each time and I would not trade it for anything. I have always made it a point to approach a service person when I see them in uniform and thank them for their service.

Hi DEVOREFLYER:

That's right on! Your a good person to give honor and respect to those who have given much to us.

all the best to you,

Nick

Hi ya anchor3n1,

By the look of Harold's smile and by the fish in his hand .... I'd say that you and your friend had a FANTASTIC session Nick!

Thank you for the giving your time ..... in honoring our soldiers. :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan ..... <"))><

Hi Dan:

Your right of course!!! It's always fantastic to spend time with friends:Surprised:

And a big thank you from me and all of us for who you are to so many people Dan and for your service to this country!!!

take care,

Nick

Nick, very inspiring report. Excellent job on putting harold on some fish. I can tell by his smile that he appreciates your efforts.

Hi Jason:

I am still disappointed that me and the girls didn't get to meet you at HG6. We were looking forward to it. I am sure you were on the sand filming and encouraging people while we were at the HQ area.

Yes, Harold was and he always is so happy just to hang out with me. He's a pretty cool person.

take care my friend,

Nick

Bravo Nick, way to give back to those who sacrifice themselves for our freedom. :Applause:
I'll be in touch soon... :Wink:

Hi Arthur:

It was absolutely a pleasure for me to bless Harold and hopefully let those that have given themselves to service know they are appreciated.
Your a great motivation to me in being you - a blessing to many.

Keep it up my friend (God is smiling),

Nick

Very very cool report and outing Nick! The smile on Harold's face is priceless. Way to go man!!!:Applause:

Don

Hi Don:

I'm glad I remembered that Harold wouldn't go out fishing without me. So it was a pleasure to take him last week for sure.

Your a great encourager Don, your family I am sure is blessed by you:Razz:

all my best to you my friend,

Nick

Morning Nick,
Very nice and inspiring report...:Big Grin:
It's reports like this make me proud to be a member of this site...:High Five:
May God Bless You & Your Family Brother,
Robert
<><

Hi Robert:

I have to agree with you. I am so glad to be a part of FNN. There are so many inspiring and motivating folks here and one of those is you, my brother:Big Grin:

I didn't know before but I do now; Thank you so much for your time you gave to serve this country and protect us!!!

I pray for God's love and grace on you and your family too!

Nick

saltman
10-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Hey Nick

Thanks you, for you reaching out to those who fight for our freedom!
Bless you Brother..

Ramiro.

anchor3n1
10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Hey Nick

Thanks you, for you reaching out to those who fight for our freedom!
Bless you Brother..

Ramiro.

Hi Ramiro:

Good to hear from you. It was great meeting you at HG6.

I appreciate the kind words,

God bless you too my brother,

Nick

bones
10-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Way to go out there Nick!

When I first started to read your report I must admit I got a little choked up! You my friend....Truly do "GET IT". Along the path in life it is easy to embellish out lives with materialistic things but to give selflessly without the expectation of being paid back with anything other than a warm smile and a sincere thank you is what love is truly all about. Love "The feeling" is the fruit of Love "The action" and on this very special day with Harold you gave of yourself unselfishly. Our veterans past and present sometimes are not recognized for their true unselfish love and hard work aimed at making this a better country and world to live in. Both of my parents were veterans as well as many of my close friends I stand with on the sand.
You are also a man who has raised your beautiful daughters in a special way thereby creating a true legacy and pattern to live their lives by in the future. Great job sir. Like Don said....The smile on Harold's face says it all.
Thanks for the true inspiration and taking the time to spread your outlook in life.
Keep up all of your hard work!

God Bless you!

Mike

anchor3n1
10-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Way to go out there Nick!

When I first started to read your report I must admit I got a little choked up! You my friend....Truly do "GET IT". Along the path in life it is easy to embellish out lives with materialistic things but to give selflessly without the expectation of being paid back with anything other than a warm smile and a sincere thank you is what love is truly all about. Love "The feeling" is the fruit of Love "The action" and on this very special day with Harold you gave of yourself unselfishly. Our veterans past and present sometimes are not recognized for their true unselfish love and hard work aimed at making this a better country and world to live in. Both of my parents were veterans as well as many of my close friends I stand with on the sand.
You are also a man who has raised your beautiful daughters in a special way thereby creating a true legacy and pattern to live their lives by in the future. Great job sir. Like Don said....The smile on Harold's face says it all.
Thanks for the true inspiration and taking the time to spread your outlook in life.
Keep up all of your hard work!

God Bless you!

Mike

Hi Mike:

All I can say is I am blessed to know you and to be privileged to call you my friend and a brother!

I had looked back at some old posts on this forum and landed on one of yours. I can't remember now what year it was but it was a recounting of a day you spent with your children. There were lots of pics of your kids and you at the beach. The thing that touched me in your story was the sense of joy and love that flowed through. I got lost in it and it moved me. I realized then as I do now that you are a great man, someone full of grace and love. Your children are blessed to have you as their father (of course you have been blessed to disciple them - as all of us are with children) and those who get to know you are similarly privileged.

Thank you Mike for walking a life of impact/of seeking to make a difference. You do my friend!

Peace and grace my brother,

Nick

basshole1
10-16-2014, 08:21 PM
What a fantastic report. The smile on your buddy's face is priceless. I also believe that the greatest fulfillment in life is by serving and helping others. I don't know you but I can tell you're a good friend and a good man. Thanks for sharing such a great read.

anchor3n1
10-17-2014, 07:43 AM
What a fantastic report. The smile on your buddy's face is priceless. I also believe that the greatest fulfillment in life is by serving and helping others. I don't know you but I can tell you're a good friend and a good man. Thanks for sharing such a great read.

Hi basshole1:

Kind words indeed! So true about the "greatest fulfillment".

I wish I had met you at HG6 (were you there at the derby this year?).

Anyway, I hope we meet someday on the sand and shake hands.

Al my best to you sir,

Nick

basshole1
10-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Hey Nick, unfortunately I was unable to attend. Work has me consumed, it's been very tough to get out on the water. Likewise my friend, it would be a pleasure bumping into you on the sand. Take it easy.