PDA

View Full Version : Ebola...?

sealclubber
10-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I try to steer clear of any and all news on tv.
We havent had cable or watched tv in years other than when visiting others homes.
Last friday was listening to a well known talk show on the AM radio and i listened in horror to the detais of this host talk about ebola and the couple of victims in the united states.
Internet is non existent in my home also.
Everything i do online is from my phone....so that being said...im limited as to the content i can view.
Should i start barricading my home and get mop suits for the kids?
.....and lets say there was an outbreak can the powers that be fight this crap off?

cutbait
10-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Ebola was created to kill black people

sealclubber
10-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Oh sweet jesus i spit coffee across the room..thanks for the laugh cutbait.

Stormcrow
10-05-2014, 09:06 PM

ROFL I just peed myself a little bit. Good one!

Stormcrow
10-05-2014, 09:10 PM
I was listening to a news report that said that one of the reasons Ebola is so dangerous is because of the poor medical infrastructure in those countries where outbreaks were common in the past. The CDC seems to believe that a more quality healthcare system, such as the one we have (no credit to Obamastupid) would greatly lower the chances of a catastrophic Ebola outbreak. It seems to make sense to me. I'm not sure though.

I am actually more concerned about the Enterovirus that is causing severe respiratory distress in kids here in So Cal. I had my son in urgent care this morning with difficult breathing after his football game yesterday. Later diagnosed as allergy induced asthma. But it got me thinking.

Lady Quagga
10-05-2014, 09:52 PM

http://s18.postimg.org/p92j7fdp5/postoftheday_350.jpg

Goddamn you cutbait, we're all going to hell for laughing at your post.

HawgZWylde
10-05-2014, 10:24 PM

Lol, meh it isn't working fast enough so now they sent in Mr. Marburg...

HawgZWylde
10-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I was listening to a news report that said that one of the reasons Ebola is so dangerous is because of the poor medical infrastructure in those countries where outbreaks were common in the past. The CDC seems to believe that a more quality healthcare system, such as the one we have (no credit to Obamastupid) would greatly lower the chances of a catastrophic Ebola outbreak. It seems to make sense to me. I'm not sure though.

I am actually more concerned about the Enterovirus that is causing severe respiratory distress in kids here in So Cal. I had my son in urgent care this morning with difficult breathing after his football game yesterday. Later diagnosed as allergy induced asthma. But it got me thinking.

The bug I had a few months back that nearly did me in has had me thinking ever since. All the symptoms pointed to Meningitis but all tests proved it wasn't. It took me over a month just to feel better and another couple of months to fully get rid of the wobbles. That bug was never identified, at least that's what the doc said.

I read today that two adults have now died from that "mystery virus";
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/02/2-colorado-adults-die-from-respiratory-illness-similar-to-enterovirus-68/

My doc told me that with our borders literally wide open, many infectious diseases that we haven't seen in this part of the world are indeed showing up. Many of these bugs are unidentified and thus are untreatable. With me, they played the guessing game with antibiotics and eventually won. Ebola, Enterovirus 68 and the Marburg bug better be a wake up call to better protect our border and deny any travelers and flights from infected regions to enter our country. The UN, WHO and other world bodies would be wise to impose global travel bans on said regions as well...

smokehound
10-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Meh, this is just a sensationalist ploy to scare us so we can all get the ebola vaccine that they'll push on us for a ludicrous price.

I'm not the least bit worried about ebola. I'm moreso worried about the other diseases that the anti-vaccine movement nutjobs have managed to resurrect.. X(

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Meh, this is just a sensationalist ploy to scare us so we can all get the ebola vaccine that they'll push on us for a ludicrous price.

There's no vaccine. But I do appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit! :Thumbs Up:

sealclubber
10-06-2014, 07:50 AM
My doc told me that with our borders literally wide open, many infectious diseases that we haven't seen in this part of the world are indeed showing up. Many of these bugs are unidentified and thus are untreatable. With me, they played the guessing game with antibiotics and eventually won. Ebola, Enterovirus 68 and the Marburg bug better be a wake up call to better protect our border and deny any travelers and flights from infected regions to enter our country. The UN, WHO and other world bodies would be wise to impose global travel bans on said regions as well...[/QUOTE]

This is what drives me insane.
The open borders and all the infectuos diseases that are being smuggled over.
Pair this with the fact that most lower class families utilize the countries emergency rooms and urgent care facilities in place of a primary physician and bam..outbreak....Im not speaking of ebola...
From what i understood that when patient zero left from place of origin that he lied and said he was not in an affected area...listening to the talk show they stated it was a questionnare that was required to board an incominng plane to the states. This is how they were screening people.
Only now they are talking about changing policy...

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 07:59 AM
The bug I had a few months back that nearly did me in has had me thinking ever since. All the symptoms pointed to Meningitis but all tests proved it wasn't. It took me over a month just to feel better and another couple of months to fully get rid of the wobbles. That bug was never identified, at least that's what the doc said.

I read today that two adults have now died from that "mystery virus";
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/02/2-colorado-adults-die-from-respiratory-illness-similar-to-enterovirus-68/

My doc told me that with our borders literally wide open, many infectious diseases that we haven't seen in this part of the world are indeed showing up. Many of these bugs are unidentified and thus are untreatable. With me, they played the guessing game with antibiotics and eventually won. Ebola, Enterovirus 68 and the Marburg bug better be a wake up call to better protect our border and deny any travelers and flights from infected regions to enter our country. The UN, WHO and other world bodies would be wise to impose global travel bans on said regions as well...

Just based on what you've told us, I doubt you were infected with EV68 or any other virus.

HawgZWylde
10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Just based on what you've told us, I doubt you were infected with EV68 or any other virus.

I already did a post awhile back explaining what I went through but in a nutshell I was hospitalized after 2 weeks of 104+ degree temps. I could take Advil and the temp would go down to under 100 degrees but in 6 hours it shot right back up, every time. The symptoms were diarrhea, high fever, stiff and sore neck, massive headache, dizziness, renal and liver failure. But you're right, it wasn't a virus, it was an unidentified bacterial infection. The only after affects I suffer now is I lost about 25-30% of my hearing. The drug that did finally beat it was the same used to treat Anthrax...

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
I already did a post awhile back explaining what I went through but in a nutshell I was hospitalized after 2 weeks of 104+ degree temps. I could take Advil and the temp would go down to under 100 degrees but in 6 hours it shot right back up, every time. The symptoms were diarrhea, high fever, stiff and sore neck, massive headache, dizziness, renal and liver failure. But you're right, it wasn't a virus, it was an unidentified bacterial infection. The only after affects I suffer now is I lost about 25-30% of my hearing. The drug that did finally beat it was the same used to treat Anthrax...

Fair enough. I honestly didn't recall the thread.

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
This is what drives me insane.
The open borders and all the infectuos diseases that are being smuggled over.
Pair this with the fact that most lower class families utilize the countries emergency rooms and urgent care facilities in place of a primary physician and bam..outbreak....Im not speaking of ebola...
From what i understood that when patient zero left from place of origin that he lied and said he was not in an affected area...listening to the talk show they stated it was a questionnare that was required to board an incominng plane to the states. This is how they were screening people.
Only now they are talking about changing policy...

This wasn't a case of the disease being smuggled over, but a breakdown in the screening process.

I doubt there was malicious intent on the part of the patient. I've seen patients (not to mention caregivers themselves) fail to provide crucial medical information, but not necessarily due to negligence or malfeasance. Sometimes a person forgets, misunderstands what is being asked, or simply doesn't realize or is too scared to disclose what could potentially be a life-threatening condition.

City Dad
10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
why do you guys keep spelling "Swine Flu" wrong?

DarkShadow
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
I slept with the window open last night and think i got a case of the Ebolas.

But, I had some Dayquil before heading to work, and now I'm just a bit phlegmy but I think the Ebolas is gone.

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I slept with the window open last night and think i got a case of the Ebolas.

But, I had some Dayquil before heading to work, and now I'm just a bit phlegmy but I think the Ebolas is gone.

And here I thought Ebola was the new Ōllamaliztli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame) game for the PS4......

fly addict
10-07-2014, 09:21 PM
And I thought Ebola was just a new version of Ebonics?

ZipperWurm
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
If anyone is worried about contracting ebola....you should take this quiz:

http://democratify.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ebola-quiz.png

DEVOREFLYER
10-08-2014, 07:42 AM
General: If Ebola Reaches Central America, 'There Will Be Mass Migration into the U.S.'
9:23 AM, Oct 8, 2014 • By JERYL BIER

Those looking for good news on the fight against Ebola will not find much encouragement from Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, the commander of the U.S. Southern Command. As Jim Garamone of Department of Defense News reports, Kelly told an audience at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday that, if the disease reaches Central America, "it’s literally, ‘Katie bar the door,’ and there will be mass migration into the United States." He also said with certainty that "there is no way we can keep Ebola [contained] in West Africa."

“By the end of the year, there’s supposed to be 1.4 million people infected with Ebola and 62 percent of them dying, according to the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention]..."
“So, much like West Africa, it will rage for a period of time,” Kelly said.

This is particularly possible scenario if the disease gets to Haiti or Central America, he said. If the disease gets to countries like Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador, it will cause a panic and people will flee the region, the general said.
“If it breaks out, it’s literally, ‘Katie bar the door,’ and there will be mass migration into the United States,” Kelly said. “They will run away from Ebola, or if they suspect they are infected, they will try to get to the United States for treatment.”

Kelly said that human trafficking could be an additional wrinkle in the battle to contain the disease. He related a disturbing anecdote from a recent visit to Central America where some men from Liberia were headed to the United States:
Also, transnational criminal networks smuggle people and those people can be carrying Ebola, the general said. Kelly spoke of visiting the border of Costa Rica and Nicaragua with U.S. embassy personnel. At that time, a group of men “were waiting in line to pass into Nicaragua and then on their way north,” he recalled.
“The embassy person walked over and asked who they were and they told him they were from Liberia and they had been on the road about a week,” Kelly continued. “They met up with the network in Trinidad and now they were on their way to the United States -- illegally, of course.”

Those men, he said, “could have made it to New York City and still be within the incubation period for Ebola.”
Earlier this year, General Kelly gave some chilling testimony about the limitations on the United States's ability to protect the southern border:
In spring hearings before the Senate and House Armed Services Committees, Kelly said that budgets cuts are “severely degrading” the military’s ability to defend southern approaches to the U.S border. Last year, he said, his task force was unable to act on nearly 75 percent of illicit trafficking events. “I simply sit and watch it go by,” he said. But the potential threats are even greater. Kelly warned that neglect has created vulnerabilities that can be exploited by terrorist groups, describing a “crime-terror convergence” already seen in Lebanese Hezbollah’s involvement in the region.
While Centers for Disease Control director Tom Frieden recently expressed some optimism in the fight against Ebola in West Africa, he acknowledged that "globally, this is going to be a long, hard fight."

City Dad
10-08-2014, 08:48 AM
If anyone is worried about contracting ebola....you should take this quiz:

http://democratify.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ebola-quiz.png

Hey, as Americans have the right to touch whatever vomit, blood, feces, etc. we want without having to worry about Ebola!!! Ebola... kinda sounds like Obama, don't it???

cutbait
10-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Progress has been made.

It seems that giving infected patients a blood transfusion from patients that survived Ebola is working!

Though its not making much sense to be cured of Ebola just to end up dying of AIDS