PDA

View Full Version : Stripers

DangerFishin
10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Everytime i check this forum theres some post "oh had a decent day only caught 20 stripers" lol....... usually i read these posts right after i get home from a skunk striper fishing here.... (have only been 3 times)

wondering if i could get some tips.... rigging/ gear..../ wear to fish and how to fish...:EyePop:

ela
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Are you fishing from a boat or shore ?

DangerFishin
10-06-2014, 07:06 AM
from a Boat,

fishinone
10-06-2014, 08:04 AM
He's a Tip n Trick that I wrote for bait fishing. It started out specific but there's more information in the replies.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?79601-Bait-N-Wait-when-the-Striper-are-Picky-with-Equipment-Recomendations

Good luck out there.

Most of the reports are real.

flyhigh123
10-06-2014, 10:59 AM
well the easy way is to hire a guide and learn how to fish for stripers. Then you should rarely ever get skunked. Not really sure what happened to all the drama etc, but you can hire TroutOnly.

DangerFishin
10-06-2014, 07:32 PM
He's a Tip n Trick that I wrote for bait fishing. It started out specific but there's more information in the replies.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?79601-Bait-N-Wait-when-the-Striper-are-Picky-with-Equipment-Recomendations

Good luck out there.

Most of the reports are real.

i read the post its actually quite helpful... one question tho, do you cast out away from the boat and let your bait sink or do you just drop off the side of the boat??

Also, do you anchor down in a spot or just drift?

fishinone
10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
i read the post its actually quite helpful... one question tho, do you cast out away from the boat and let your bait sink or do you just drop off the side of the boat??

Let it sink all the way to the bottom or do you count out length until where the fish are at, I.E if the fish are are 30 ft and your in 60 ft water do you drop down to 30 and stop orr??
Also, do you anchor down in a spot or just drift?

Lots of people cast out but I almost always set the depth with one of the methods that you described depending on where the fishfinder shows fish. Put you basis just above them.

One of the most dependable things is the crank you sinker 3 cranks of of bottom so the bait is 4 ft or do off bottom.

DangerFishin
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Lots of people cast out but I almost always set the depth with one of the methods that you described depending on where the fishfinder shows fish. Put you basis just above them.

One of the most dependable things is the crank you sinker 3 cranks of of bottom so the bait is 4 ft or do off bottom.

im thinking about going and buying a couple of "line counters" the kind that you clip on the rod and it tells you how many ft of line you have out, so i can set more acurately...

DangerFishin
10-06-2014, 07:57 PM

i have a tiny little rod (4 ft..."whopper stopper" its a good heavy rod for baiting in the Duct for cats) with a shimano baitcast real... im def gonna take my good reel off and put it on a 7-8 ft rod...im sure i have something around that size

P.A.W.
10-08-2014, 06:44 AM
well the easy way is to hire a guide and learn how to fish for stripers. Then you should rarely ever get skunked. Not really sure what happened to all the drama etc, but you can hire TroutOnly.
I second this. After fishing my lake with an embarrassing number of skunks under my belt I called Bob (Trout Only). I now catch so many stripers my wife tells me to just do Catch & release. Remember too that bait& wait has its place and time but not always. Just as topwater, and trolling do. Be flexible, find the fish and slay 'em.

fishinone
10-08-2014, 07:31 AM
i have a tiny little rod (4 ft..."whopper stopper" its a good heavy rod for baiting in the Duct for cats) with a shimano baitcast real... im def gonna take my good reel off and put it on a 7-8 ft rod...im sure i have something around that size

A soft top is key to the bites in the verticle presentation.

DangerFishin
10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
A soft top is key to the bites in the verticle presentation.

i just got lost lol. whats the verticle presentation??? o.o are you refering to the way the pole is in the pole holder or the way the bait is hooked

fishinone
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
i just got lost lol. whats the verticle presentation??? o.o are you refering to the way the pole is in the pole holder or the way the bait is hooked

The line hanging straight down under the tip.

DangerFishin
10-08-2014, 07:58 PM
The line hanging straight down under the tip.

aaahh... ok gotcha, sweet, i cant wait to get out there this weekend... ill def be posting a report!!

fishinone
10-08-2014, 08:06 PM
I'll be looking for it.

Good luck!

DangerFishin
10-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I'll be looking for it.

Good luck!

Hopefully ill be posting a picture holding up a couple of monster stripers like you are in your avatar haha!! Tight lines!!

olfishergal
10-10-2014, 01:18 PM
As a new guy to striper fishing............listen up you really need to hire TROUTONLY.......never met anyone who knew as much as he does about Mr. Stripey and I mean no one knows as much as he does....OFG