PDA

View Full Version : iOS 8.0.2 Garbage Or Is It Me?

Stinkbait
10-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I should of let this iPad update soak for a while before upgrading. It is not liking imbedded vid clips and added extra screen taps in since it now hides menu/address bar. It also put favs on the left side again.

Anybody else not liking 8.0.2?

Lady Quagga
10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I should of let this iPad update soak for a while before upgrading. It is not liking imbedded vid clips and added extra screen taps in since it now hides menu/address bar. It also put favs on the left side again.

Anybody else not liking 8.0.2?

I upgraded to 8.0 and didn't really find it to be the fireworks show they were promising. If you've been following tech news, 8.0.1 was a monumental disaster. I've not read the release notes for 8.0.2, but I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, unless there is a specific fix or feature you need, I don't see a good enough reason for upgrading to iOS 8.

Stinkbait
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Can I get 8.0 back or just a hassle?

Lady Quagga
10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Can I get 8.0 back or just a hassle?

I am sure there's a way to do it. There's walkthroughs for rolling back to iOS 7, so it stands to reason you can roll back to 8.0.

Skyler
10-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Android. That is all...

Lady Quagga
10-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Android. That is all...

It's a matter of personal preference. Neither iOS nor Android offer a clear advantage over the other.

Skyler
10-06-2014, 08:01 AM
It's a matter of personal preference. Neither iOS nor Android offer a clear advantage over the other.

One offers a very distinct price advantage though.

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 08:24 AM
One offers a very distinct price advantage though.

Only if you are paying out of pocket, which most people aren't. Carrier subsidies (in exchange for a contractual commitment) typically eliminate or significantly reduce that cost.

When it comes to the day-to-day UI, I am comfortable with either operating system. When it comes to IT support, I'd say iOS edges out Android. For sheer versatility, Android has the advantage.

DarkShadow
10-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Only if you are paying out of pocket, which most people aren't. Carrier subsidies (in exchange for a contractual commitment) typically eliminate or significantly reduce that cost.

When it comes to the day-to-day UI, I am comfortable with either operating system. When it comes to IT support, I'd say iOS edges out Android. For sheer versatility, Android has the advantage.

Oh stop.

You know iOS is a POS. OSX? Different story. I'll never buy a Windows machine.

But as far as a mobile OS? Quagga please. Perhaps you haven't had good hardware around your Android OS.

EDIT:

Quagga, remember when you still had to run a Motorola chipset, the ole 68XXX format? All the while, Intel had broken 500 and 600 Mhz chips?

This is the stage Apple is now with their mobile. They refuse to look outside when it comes to their hardware and software when it comes to their iOS. Remember when they started slowly taking over the market on PCs? Coincidentally, that began once they told Motorola to eff off, and opened up the market to let other manufacturers (ahem, Intel) start making chips for them.

Using iOS now is like using a 68XXX Power PC chip. Nuff said. You may have a nice design (although I hear their new phone bends to your liking), but you are still using archaic guts on the phone.

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Oh stop.

You know iOS is a POS. OSX? Different story. I'll never buy a Windows machine.

But as far as a mobile OS? Quagga please. Perhaps you haven't had good hardware around your Android OS.

EDIT:

Quagga, remember when you still had to run a Motorola chipset, the ole 68XXX format? All the while, Intel had broken 500 and 600 Mhz chips?

This is the stage Apple is now with their mobile. They refuse to look outside when it comes to their hardware and software when it comes to their iOS. Remember when they started slowly taking over the market on PCs? Coincidentally, that began once they told Motorola to eff off, and opened up the market to let other manufacturers (ahem, Intel) start making chips for them.

Using iOS now is like using a 68XXX Power PC chip. Nuff said. You may have a nice design (although I hear their new phone bends to your liking), but you are still using archaic guts on the phone.

Come on buddy. Come oooooon buddy.

http://s10.postimg.org/4bzi5nvqh/dave_chappelle_tour.jpg

I spoke on out-of-pocket cost (no advantage), day-to-day UI (no advantage), IT support (advantage: iOS), and versatility (advantage: Android). I didn't really speak on hardware performance.

I own a Nexus tablet and the hardware, core OS and apps have been rock solid. The only real problem I've run into is 3rd party apps hanging - it doesn't happen often, and it's more likely a developer/compatibility issue, not a hardware issue. The same is true for the Android phones my spouse and daughter have - rock solid hardware, minor (and rare) app issues. On the other hand, we gave my son a hand-me-down Huawei running Android, and it's a absolute turd. It can barely handle core components, and straight-out bricked when a single app (Facebook) was added. Not surprisingly, its hardware is crap. So I've seen the entire spectrum, and agree with you - hardware is key.

As for iOS, I've consistently had strong performance from the iPhone I own and the iPads I've supported. I've not had a single hardware related issue, and core OS and apps run superbly. 3rd party apps perform fine, with a few exceptions - and in every case, those are UI exceptions are due to crappy developers and p!ss-poor use of the SDK, not hardware issues.

[EDIT: I have had a single hardware related issue, and you wouldn't believe the fix. I do not know what caused the problem (Apple isn't talking), nor why the fix I used actually worked. Long story short: the front camera stopped working (I initially thought because of condensation), I researched online for known issues, and discovered from other users that pinching the top right corner of the phone while restarting it fixed the issue. A WTF moment if there ever was one.]

From a hardware standpoint, top-of-the-line Android phones and iOS phones are neck and neck.

Stormcrow
10-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Come on buddy. Come oooooon buddy.

http://s10.postimg.org/4bzi5nvqh/dave_chappelle_tour.jpg

I spoke on out-of-pocket cost (no advantage), day-to-day UI (no advantage), IT support (advantage: iOS), and versatility (advantage: Android). I didn't really speak on hardware performance.

I own a Nexus tablet and the hardware, core OS and apps have been rock solid. The only real problem I've run into is 3rd party apps hanging - it doesn't happen often, and it's more likely a developer/compatibility issue, not a hardware issue. The same is true for the Android phones my spouse and daughter have - rock solid hardware, minor (and rare) app issues. On the other hand, we gave my son a hand-me-down Huawei running Android, and it's a absolute turd. It can barely handle core components, and straight-out bricked when a single app (Facebook) was added. Not surprisingly, its hardware is crap. So I've seen the entire spectrum, and agree with you - hardware is key.

As for iOS, I've consistently had strong performance from the iPhone I own and the iPads I've supported. I've not had a single hardware related issue, and core OS and apps run superbly. 3rd party apps perform fine, with a few exceptions - and in every case, those are UI exceptions are due to crappy developers and p!ss-poor use of the SDK, not hardware issues.

[EDIT: I have had a single hardware related issue, and you wouldn't believe the fix. I do not know what caused the problem (Apple isn't talking), nor why the fix I used actually worked. Long story short: the front camera stopped working (I initially thought because of condensation), I researched online for known issues, and discovered from other users that pinching the top right corner of the phone while restarting it fixed the issue. A WTF moment if there ever was one.]

From a hardware standpoint, top-of-the-line Android phones and iOS phones are neck and neck.

How do you own anything when you don't work? OR FISH for that matter? I find this surprising!!!!! Quagga someday your "govmnet" assistance is going to come to an end. What will you do then?

Lady Quagga
10-06-2014, 06:17 PM
How do you own anything when you don't work? OR FISH for that matter? I find this surprising!!!!! Quagga someday your "govmnet" assistance is going to come to an end. What will you do then?

Aw, I see the stormcrow-sh*t-for-brains wasn't happy leaving his irrelevancies on the other threads.

Seriously, if I want any lip from you, I will scrape it off my zipper.

geraldgreen12
12-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Wondering which is best, iPhone OS or Android OS? Currently have the iPhone 5s and I love it! However, a recent study implies that $5.9 billion has possibly been used on iPhone repairs (http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/09/24/iphone-repairs/) since the original was launched in 2007. The phones are incredibly fashionable, but are known to be delicate and somewhat of a fussbudget, also as expensive to fix.