PDA

View Full Version : Big Yellowtail biting in the Horseshoe Kelp

etucker1959
10-03-2014, 11:02 AM
I've always had a favorite ocean fish to catch "Yellowtail"!!!! Yes I've fished and caught everything else, the only other fish that's even in the same ballpark to me as Yellowtail are big Albacore. This whole summer as been dedicated to fishing for Yellowtail somewhere every week. Last week it was the Coronado Islands, this week the Horseshoe Kelp on the boat Enterprise from Long Beach Marina fishing. Next week who knows, their biting from the border all the way up to the Channel Islands. What sold me on this trip is the size, all 20-30lbers.

We loaded up with all the sardines our captain could scrounge at the bait docks and supplemented are bait with some jiged up Mackerel. Off we went, the neat part is we didn't have to go very far 3-4 miles off of the San Pedro Light. Our captain was looking for sonar schools of these things in the morning. Once he found one, throw bait and fish them Tuna style. I got my first one on the slide on a Sardine. A very nice #22 lbs, oh I forgot to mention I went fishing with my friend Glen, who just got off the day before the boat Pacific Star on a 2.5 day trip to the Cortez bank. He had all kinds of stories about the Bluefin and yellowtail he caught, but every time I wanted to tease him, all's I had to do was remind him about paying $700 to go fishing. I ribbed him about this trip cost him only $50 bucks (senior rate) and didn't take him 10 hours to get there in rough seas. Well we had flurries all day where we would hook 3-8 at the same time. These fish weren't line shy so break out the heavy string. The total fish count for the trip was 39 Yellowtail landed for 32 people. We caught 4, all 20-26 lbs. I felt our numbers were a little low compared to everyone else, but that's fishing!!!!!!

MikesOcean
10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Been wondering when they were gonna show up
At the horseshoe kelp like years past.

Nice job and thanks for the report.

TUNAVIC
10-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Very cool,thanks for that report,hope to out next week,on a week day of course!
Hey that wasn't Glen from Whittier was it?

Cya Tuna

etucker1959
10-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Very cool,thanks for that report,hope to out next week,on a week day of course!
Hey that wasn't Glen from Whittier was it?

Cya Tuna
Yes it was!!!!!! Boy can he keep a boat entertained!!!!!!

exfactor
10-04-2014, 08:56 AM
they are up above Gaviota now also, along with 10+ pound bonita. I cut for over 2 hours yesterday for 3 of us.

etucker1959
10-04-2014, 08:59 AM
they are up above Gaviota now also, along with 10+ pound bonita. I cut for over 2 hours yesterday for 3 of us.
All's I can say is, "what a year"!!!!!!!

Stumpknocker
10-04-2014, 01:51 PM
That's great fishing for so little cost and effort to get there...WTG!

murrieta angler
10-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Sweet!
Now there are some nicer grade albies up North as well.
Robert
<><

etucker1959
10-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Sweet!
Now there are some nicer grade albies up North as well.
Robert
<><
How far north????? The yellows at the channel islands are starting to look mighty tempting!!!! lol

fishingunderground
10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Great report! Haven't fished the 'Shoe in over 5 years. Looks like this is the year to start!

TUNAVIC
10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Yes it was!!!!!! Boy can he keep a boat entertained!!!!!!

Glen is a great guy,stopped by his house this weekend,no wonder I missed him,next time you hear from him,tell him Tuna Vic says hey!

Cya Tuna Vic