PDA

View Full Version : October 1 report

P.A.W.
10-01-2014, 01:22 PM
A new month begins and things are changing a bit. Water level is still going down. Temp is 76* and the color is a nice lake green. The wide open morning striper bite is slowing down. Just 10 days ago the morning topwater/jerkbait bite was crazy good and went until around 9:00am. Now the window is more like 1 hour and the fish are spreading out all over, which means fewer fish on any given spot. Trolling can be productive but you pretty much need to know the lake to succeed at it. I found fish at 40 feet down with my downrigger, but no double limits today. I know Big Bob was there so I'll let him report on largemouth bass.

Big-Bob
10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
I will piggy back on what Pat said and say that the striper bite has definitely slowed down big time. Hopefully with a weather change things will pick up.

I have been talking/hearing a number of LMB fisherman saying they are not doing well or only catching a couple. The water was stable last week for nearly a week and Friday was a hot bite day. I ran a 30 minute clinic for ElbowLayer and NFCD :Shocked:. The water dropped that night and was almost an off switch for the next day. The water has continued to drop a little every night and I believe that is what is throwing the LMB fishing off.

I think I am going to give Skinner a break and try DVL on Friday. Only problem is I have already used my 3 day weekly fishing allowance.

Ian
10-01-2014, 07:40 PM
They keep messing with the water level. I was there on Sat and the inlet was full on. Now the level's dropping again?? This is messing up the fishing for bass and stripers.

Big-Bob
10-01-2014, 09:11 PM
The inlet is running what looks to be full tilt. The only problem is it must be going out faster than it is coming in. It has for sure dropped since Saturday. Be careful out there guys. There are a lot of very very shallow areas. Would be horrible to have to replace a lower unit on a motor.

d1LedHed
10-02-2014, 05:54 PM
How deep is LS at full pool at deepest point? thnx in advance

Harley51
10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
The deepest I've recorded has been 70 to 80 feet

JDS13
10-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Its amazing to know the bite was wide open after wards, thanks.

Ian
10-02-2014, 09:07 PM
The instability of the water level is making me shy away from fishing here. I think I'll fish Pyramid instead for the striper action.

ddoskocil
10-03-2014, 12:31 PM
So Pat.....try for the stripers Sunday early - or hit the kelp and go Calico fishing???

P.A.W.
10-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Well Darren..... Today the fish were up slapping the surface early. However, that bite lasted a little over an hour. Over the last week I've been spending some quality time with my electronics during the slow times. It paid off today with 3-4 fish an hour on the troll. Sorry but this is one of those times when you have to pay to play. I cant give up my "secrets". You just need to put in the time and like Matt says "think like a fish".

Oh BTW Darren check your PM's

Big-Bob
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I had the best day of my life on the water today. I was the first to launch and last to leave cant get any better than that.....or can it?

Pat I had 2 that were bigger than what you saw me stick. Check you inbox.

Everyone I spoke to said the bite is very tough not many fish over a pound. If anyone goes out this weekend good luck. Lots of spots look like Furnace Creek under water.

P.A.W.
10-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Hey Bob, my in-box was full. Not anymore. Try sending again.