PDA

View Full Version : 9/29 report

Glenn
09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Short version: Finally shook off the skunk! Landed 7, farmed 4 all on DS. None larger than 12" ish models -every one of them fun though

And if you're really bored: Left Palm Desert around 4:30AM. I always dread getting up early for those weekly 5:30AM conference calls but it's usually no problem getting up for a day of fishing - go figure!

Got to the lake around 6:15ish - I was shocked to see a line all the way to the visitor center :Shocked:.... turns out it's because the gate was still closed. Quickly opened up a few minutes later and we're on our way.

Hit the water in the rental and I'm off. Clear, cool morning, light breeze great day off so far! Couldn't figure out the formula throwing a couple top water versions, small swim-bait, etc. Moved after exploring several different shorelines to no avail. Did see some impressive carp boils, I think they're ugly & creepy. Finally spotted a couple of I would guess 14"-ish bass breezing in a couple locations - keep in mind to this point I've only seen fry at DVL so that was a good sign to me.

Made my way over to a spot I'd not explored yet (I'm sure there are plenty more) and was just cruising around when one of the big Cal Fire contract helicopters starts his approach over the lake low & slow right overhead! Just sat and watched him draft a tank full and then circle around and do a couple of drops on the shore. Pretty cool!

So got into a spot that appeared to meet some key criteria that Matt and a couple others have been kind enough to advise. Wind-blown shoreline, transition from sandy to rocky, drop off to 40-50 and deeper eventually. I had my DS ready to go dropped it straight down. After a minute I felt an unfamiliar heaviness I had not experienced in too long so naturally I set the hook and practically flung hand-sized unit to the heavens. :Embarrassed: I admit I actually did it a second time (I think it was the cast right after) until I settled down and it sunk in what guys here have been saying about the feel of a DS bite being just a soft change in pressure/weight most of the time.

I proceeded to work the heck out the area and all but one of the fish that were willing to play came out of there. I had a blast and was stoked to get on some fish finally. Once the afternoon wind came up it seemed to me that the bite shut off - but it very well just could have been my issue with presentation/being more concerned with keeping the boat off the "boilers" that resulted in the lack of fish.

Thanks for the cool advice and encouragement guys it helped me out and hope I can do the same sometime!

Big-Bob
09-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Way to beat the skunk. It sounds like you are starting to figure the lake out.

Matt_Magnone
09-30-2014, 08:22 PM
great job man!