PDA

View Full Version : First catch..Santa Monica Pier

FishNutz
10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey, I caught my first lobster, hoop netting off of santa monica pier last night. I heard from my coworker, that I can't eat it since it have dies, is this true, it been over 12hrs? I caught the lobster around 10pm, by the time I got home around midnight, I think it might have been dead. I put it in the refig not the freezer. So is it still safe to it eat it?

Wildhorse1966
10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
you should always kill it by using a knife to cut between its eyes ... if you stuck it in the freezer before it was dead then your probally ok

synenergy52
10-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Huh? So you have to eat it alive?? lol

one_leg
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
You're gonna eat something from the Santa Monica Bay? :shock:

Give it to me, I'll eat it!!!!

One_Leg

PS, congrats on your first bug from the bay.

Wildhorse1966
10-04-2007, 01:33 PM

from what i have read... a lobster releases a toxin when it dies slowly ruining the meat .. but if you kill it by cutting the head between the eyes they die instantly and you will not have this problem

FishNutz
10-04-2007, 01:44 PM
too late, I ate the lobster for lunch...just steam it and dip it in lemon and pepper with chili..taste good...me still alive and feeling good...I let you know if anything happen to me by this weekend other than losing money in las vegas.

one_leg
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Good for you. Can I have your car, and fishing gear?

One_Leg

Lobsterboy
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I have brought home many lobsters and left in the ice chest for a day or two(with ice). They sometimes are still alive the morning after catching but sometimes not. They are always dead after a day out of water.
Cleaned em, left the tail in the fridge for another day or so and cooked em. ALWAYS taste awesome. Never had a problem even 3 days after catching. So I call BS on toxins ruining the meat.

Way to go on the legal from the pier. I was diving opening night, lost my dive bag 20 minutes in and was 0-4 on the keepers I saw and"tried" to catch (too many beers and too late at night).
Went Sunday and caught one. Then Tuesday got skunked. Hopefully tomorrow night......?

Fisher-of-Men
10-04-2007, 05:57 PM

from what i have read... a lobster releases a toxin when it dies slowly ruining the meat .. but if you kill it by cutting the head between the eyes they die instantly and you will not have this problem

That's good to know! I never knew that before. Is it the same way with crabs??

Fisher-of-Men

one_leg
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I was diving opening night, lost my dive bag 20 minutes in and was 0-4 on the keepers I saw and"tried" to catch (too many beers and too late at night).
Went Sunday and caught one. Then Tuesday got skunked. Hopefully tomorrow night......?

Just stuff em into your wetsuit.

Do you sweep your arm in to get them, or do you catch them with a Sig Heil salute? They can easily sense your hand coming when you sweep for em. Just get close enough to reach em, and BAM. It's in the bag, er, um, wetsuit, as the case may be.

One_Leg

bruce watson
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I tried to find my post from last year dealing with this subject. The old post is gone. I have a tank in my garage and sometimes keep lobsters for up to a week. They will not starve to death.

With a five gallon bucket like you've got, you need it 3/4 filled and a bubble up filter to keep them alive for about 24 hrs.

The best thing to do is to kill the bugs as soon as you get home by twisting the tail off. The intestinal tract may be full, and that stuff is not good for you. You then take one of the antenna and shove it up the rectum at the end of the tail. Turn it slightly, then pull it out. The little barbs on the antenna will pull out the intestinal tract. Because of the toxic stuff in the tract I always toss the body after removing the legs. There is not enough meat in the body to take the risk.

At that point just stick the tails in the fridge. BTW, the lobsters that you buy live in the store have been in tanks for weeks, and not been fed. That is why they are clean on the inside.

Fisher-of-Men
10-05-2007, 04:36 AM
I read this part and am wondering, "The best thing to do is to kill the bugs as soon as you get home by twisting the tail off. The intestinal tract may be full, and that stuff is not good for you. You then take one of the antenna and shove it up the rectum at the end of the tail."

The whole part about shoving the antenna up the rectum; is that true or are you pulling our legs?? :?

Fisher-of-Men

bruce watson
10-05-2007, 05:43 AM
It's true. Ask the old timers. Kinda like removing the guts or bloodline from a fish, it makes the meat taste better.

fishncatalina
10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
I read this part and am wondering, "The best thing to do is to kill the bugs as soon as you get home by twisting the tail off. The intestinal tract may be full, and that stuff is not good for you. You then take one of the antenna and shove it up the rectum at the end of the tail."

The whole part about shoving the antenna up the rectum; is that true or are you pulling our legs?? :?

Fisher-of-Men

It's true.....here's some vids from my post.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/?action=view&current=100_0985.flv:43f06]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/th_100_0985.jpg[/url:43f06]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/?action=view&current=100_0986.flv:43f06]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/th_100_0986.jpg[/url:43f06]

Nessie Hunter
10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I break off several inches at end of antenna, (its to soft to go up the anal canal...

Separate the tail first....

Insert as far into tail as you can, Twist and slowly pull out the colon from tail....

You now have *A Clean piece of tail*.. :D :D

No chance of fecal matter in the meat.. Sweet.

Dam Randy, you need to start pumpin some iron bro, that bug almost beat you up..:D :D :D

fishncatalina
10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I break off several inches at end of antenna, (its to soft to go up the anal canal...

Separate the tail first....

Insert as far into tail as you can, Twist and slowly pull out the colon from tail....

You now have *A Clean piece of tail*.. :D :D

No chance of fecal matter in the meat.. Sweet.

:lol:

bruce watson
10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Randy, great video. Every year we tell the newbies how to clean them tails and some don't believe us until they get sick.

You new guys got to see a clean tract come out of there. Most of the time they are filled with black crap.

olfishergal
10-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Yup, thats what I did with those last year........very easy

bitedez
10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Do you have to break off the tail first or can you just clean out the cavity with the lobster still intact? :?

bruce watson
10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
It's best to break off the tail and legs. The only way to clean out the body is to keep the lobster alive for a couple of weeks.

mg2969
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Having attended Jim Salazar aka Saba Slayer's Lobster hooping seminar. I believe if you catch it live and then it dies its good for only a few hours. There was something about a poisonous toxin that starts to quickly set in.

If their cleaned its not a problem or frozen whole its also not a problem

rockbass
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Totally true- the vids will show the process- Before learning this, i would carefully cut down the center of the tail and wash the mud vein clean- but the antenna method is so clean and fast, with fantastic results!!