PDA

View Full Version : Helms Bakery Truck.

old pudd fisher
09-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Do you remember it I sure do. It would drive through our neighborhood and blow a whistle. Oh how fresh and still warm it was, and the smell when he opened the back doors was so good.4507045071

HawgZWylde
09-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Do you remember it I sure do. It would drive through our neighborhood and blow a whistle. Oh how fresh and still warm it was, and the smell when he opened the back doors was so good.4507045071

Oh yes indeed, those drawers were sooo looong with sooo many doughnuts and pastries. Man I was in heaven as soon as I heard the Helmsman's horn blowing when he came into our cul-de-sac. Good memories for sure OPF...

old pudd fisher
09-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Yep sure was. My dad was a electrician and used one of the old trucks and had it painted blue. The long drawers were great for all his electrical parts.

MarkyMark
09-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Ah yes, good memories of my childhood! Thanks

MM

DEVOREFLYER
09-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Indeed I too remember the doughnuts but the brownies were my favorite. And then we had the Good Humor Man and ice cream. We also had the Bowie Pie Man that delivered pies. Milk was delivered to your door and Doctors made house calls. How many remember the TV ads with Sheriff John promoting "Bosco" to put in your milk?

flybynight
09-21-2014, 07:43 AM
I remember the ICE man also !

Marley
09-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Indeed I too remember the doughnuts but the brownies were my favorite. And then we had the Good Humor Man and ice cream. We also had the Bowie Pie Man that delivered pies. Milk was delivered to your door and Doctors made house calls. How many remember the TV ads with Sheriff John promoting "Bosco" to put in your milk?

Ah, Sheriff John. He was my favorite, or maybe shared that role with Hobo Kelly. Good times!

pcuser
09-21-2014, 08:55 AM
I remember the ICE man also !

I actually was an ice man in 1968. I was working for room and board at Parchers for Chuck & Gloria. We actually made , pulled and stored the ice in the ice house ready for delivery to all the cabins. No modern refrigeration in the cabins back then. One of the greatest summers of my life...

Tuna Vic
09-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Yup,our Helms man was named,Andy Anderson,always loved those cream puffs in the bottom drawer,Sweet!

Cya Tuna Vic

TED MILLS
09-22-2014, 01:08 AM
I am not as old as Old Pudd but I remember Helms Bakery trucks back then when we lived in Reseda, and the Ice Cream truck, and the milk man coming to the door, also the Doctor making house calls,
Remember Hoddy Dooty and Buffallo Bob Sky King, The Red Ridder creals, Monty mon tanna, Red Ridder and Little Beaver Lash Larue,Trazan, Oscaf meyer mobil, What was that Rabbit name on Sherrif Johns show Oscar Rabbit , Priness Summer Fall Winter Spring, I had the hotts for her, remember when the La river was a creek and full of Crad dads, oh well that is all gone now

Ted

tED

trollmiester
09-22-2014, 06:42 AM
My dad had credit on the helms truck so i would buy for my friends. I remeber the wide drawer and how it would open, believe it or not they had potatoe chips for a knickle also. I still have authograped picture of sherffif john and engineer bill.,but i lost my spud gun that i had won on engineer bill.

billy b
09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
"Put another candle on my birthday cake ... and when you do ... a wish I'll make ...

"I love Bosco ... cause Bosco's good for me"

"Feed em Dr. Ross dog food ... do him a favor ... it's got more meat and it's got more flavor ... It's got more meat to make him feel that way he shoOOOuld ... Dr Ross dog food is doggone good"?

Always loved a jelly donut from the Helms truck

How about Crusader Rabbit

trail blazer
09-22-2014, 12:19 PM
OK ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Since your reminiscing,,,,

Here,s what I remember abought my younger years,,,

VIRGIL WARDs CHAMPIONSHIP FISHING,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_8XQnpg8Lc

one long cast
09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
If I said I also remember the Helms trucks, does that make old or real old????

old pudd fisher
09-22-2014, 05:33 PM
If I said I also remember the Helms trucks, does that make old or real old????

Just kind of old like me, if ya were real old you would remember a lot more ????? Oh I take that back, maybe not.:Rolls Eyes:

Hotbite909
09-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Funny! I bring up the helm's truck memories on occasion with the wife when I see pasteries.
I don't remember anything tasting as good! But now that I get older nothing taste good. Or, is it
justice me?

flybynight
09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
How about Sky King, Superman,Spiderman,Loneranger & Tonto ?

DEVOREFLYER
09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Add Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, The Cisco Kid & Poncho and Tarzan.

pcuser
09-23-2014, 01:05 PM

That brings back memories. I was 5 years old and had Tonto aka Jay Silverheels come to my front door to view my house that my parents were selling. It was a big deal to meet him as a small child ...

catchingsomefish
09-23-2014, 01:27 PM
I guess I will date myself as well, as I too, remember the Helms trucks....Funny I remember the donuts also, the bread, not so much......Carnation milk man leaving milk on the doorstep in the early morning.................Dave

TED MILLS
09-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh yes, and the lemon and cherry filled rolls, the bubble gun for five cents, I had a early morning paper route of 250 customers and paid once a mounth and I waited for those trucks, the ice cream truck had the cake and ice cream rolls, they were so good, my brother and sister wanted some ,I said get a job
TED

old pudd fisher
09-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Shootin marbles in the dirt. Kind of like gambling if you played for keeps Did it at lunch time 5th and 6th grade. 4509145090 I still have some of them.

pcuser
09-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Shootin marbles in the dirt. Kind of like gambling if you played for keeps Did it at lunch time 5th and 6th grade. 4509145090 I still have some of them.

Great memory and beautiful colors....

TED MILLS
09-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Yes we did that at lunch time, and throwing base ball cards against the wall to see who could get closer, and keep the cards, also throwing coins to see who got the closet won, I won a lot and that was my lunch money for a long time, this was at Birmington high in southern ca, and Reseda junior High school ,

billy b
09-27-2014, 09:40 AM
How about lagging coins against the wall?

old pudd fisher
09-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Thinking about the good ole dayzz. I think my favorite and most inexpensive toy was the Wham-o Hula-Hoop. I played with mine so much, and even wore a hole in it.45093450944509545096

DockRat
09-27-2014, 07:16 PM
A friend of mine does concrete work for 30 years +. Mostly residential and finds marbles on almost every job. He has a collection of them. He has some old stone or marble ones he found.
DR

old pudd fisher
09-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah I found a few also digging in my work days, wonder if kids now days know what they are ?

DockRat
09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Wonder if kids now days know what they are ?
I think these kids these days have lost there marbles, they like video games.

trail blazer
09-27-2014, 09:22 PM
aHHH MARBLES,,,,,,,,,,OOO yaaaa

used to get to school early to try and get me some new pearlys and old school cats eyes,,,,maby steelys for shooters and on a GOOD day a keepsy game for the boulders,,,

Those were the times!

trail blazer

Marley
09-27-2014, 09:41 PM

They filmed a lot of the Lone Ranger shows up at Lone Pine, Alabama Hills. If you get out on the dirt/BLM roads and stop and listen, you can almost hear the hoof beats. Those rocks haven't changed at all and if you pay attention, you can pick out the formations in those old shows.

old pudd fisher
09-27-2014, 10:16 PM
They filmed a lot of the Lone Ranger shows up at Lone Pine, Alabama Hills. If you get out on the dirt/BLM roads and stop and listen, you can almost hear the hoof beats. Those rocks haven't changed at all and if you pay attention, you can pick out the formations in those old shows.
What about Corriganville in the Simi Valley 1950's. They filmed a lot of B- rated westerns there. Saturday mornings was the time to watch them.

TED MILLS
09-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Use to live in simi valley in the late sixtys