PDA

View Full Version : 9/20 quick report DVL Session #2 - I'll give you a story instead

Glenn
09-20-2014, 06:28 PM
On the water 7-1PM - couldn't make it happen, left skunked again.

I left Palm Desert just before 5, with a sliver of the moon hanging on the Eastern horizon, headed up the 74. This drive always makes me imagine an earlier era when stagecoaches and horseback were the mode of transportation. That is to say it was another wonderful, scenic, sage-and-pine-scented, mini road-trip away from the desert heat! Even before dawn this time of year, turning on your AC is just like turning on your headlights - automatic in the desert. Once I hit the Santa Rosa mountains, plus five thousand elevation, I let the cool mountain air take over and it was so amazingly refreshing. I drove on and hit Lake Hemet considering that I could just stop here and give it a shot. Saw a thick layer of fog over the lake and surrounding valley and thought to myself, "what if the lakes were side by side, which one would I chose". Onward to DVL - there's just so much more water to explore!

Waiting in line at the rental counter is a test of patience, I just want to hit the water! After a thorough preparation of documents, I head down the football field length launch-ramp with my gear. In a couple of minutes I'm off to my first spot. I was optimistic, the weather seemed to be ideal, cool, overcast, a little wind... water was warm to the touch. I motored off to various spots that I could see were obvious structure: the rocky shoreline cove just to the east of the launch ramp/marina, the island just before the east dam, many others that I could see as an only second-timer to the lake... drop shot, Texas, swimmies, football craws, even rooster tails, and shad crankbaits thrown for no love (sigh). I tried to check 20-40 range but couldn't find them. That was my pattern for much of the day. Sweep the structure that I could make, rely on the rental depth finder, and try to work around 30 as Matt_M had offered as a great suggestion. Course who knows the thremocline could be somewhere else for all I know today!

Got discouraged more than once, but had a blast OTW. Did see a couple of very small bait-boils, I would say of the shad variety, in the cove where the big oak is sticking up. Threw some bass-assassin like plastics but never saw a bass boil. At the end of the day, I really enjoyed the lake and the boat. Can't wait to get dialed in on the target species.

Good luck out there!

Matt_Magnone
09-20-2014, 09:05 PM
hey man, dont get discouraged. diamond valley is a tough nut to crack. just FYI, although i do go off my graph when targeting deeper bass a big trick i've learned is to trust my instincts on bottom structure. if it looks fishy and has characteristics of fish holding cover, i'll often dump down and fish it. more than i'd say 85%-90% of the spots i fish often show absolutely zero sign of life on the graph. i like deep water access, i like main lake structure spots, hard bottom and some sort of transition.

depending on how you graph a spot, uphill, downhiil or paralell will all show different readings on the graph. graphing up hill will often show the best reading as opposed to downhill. think in terms of rock ledges, outcroppings or weed edges. because you're moving at a descent clip around your intended spot, if you're metering downhill, a lot of times you're ping signal is skipping over critical fish holding spots.

i can guarantee you that if you've found bluegill, silversides and baby bass in one general area; you're in a great area. now all you have to do is find the nearest main lake structure spot in relation and you can literally drop anchor in 25' and milk it to death and should come up with a couple bites.

i love the fact that you're amped up on figuring it out. before your next trip get a hold of me and i'll try and steer you in the right direction.

Glenn
09-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Hey Matt I'm sure I will take you up on your offer when I go back in a couple of weeks! Appreciate your offer.

gcopple
09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Hey Glenn, i am out in indo and was out there saturday too. maybe you saw me i was in the aluminum ranger fishing solo. maybe we can hit the lake together sometime, i by no means have it dialed in but i can usually get on some okay fish for the day. i have been heading out solo a lot lately. hit me up and maybe if both our schedules allow we can hit up dvl sometime...

Matt_Magnone
09-23-2014, 02:10 PM
There you go Glenn. Perfect opportunity! If either one of you guys see me don't hesitate to cruise up. I have an 18.5' Tracker with Megabass stickers all over it. I'm usually solo. Just don't dump down right on top of where I'm fishing but if you cruise in, I'm always willing to show you a little of what I'm doing. You can't miss me though, I'm the knucklehead you'll see driving all over the lake like a madman. Back and forth, Back and forth!

Glenn
09-24-2014, 08:42 PM
I'll be back out this Sat. I'll be the guy in the rental scrambling all over the place. Hope to get into Last Chance soon.

trollmiester
09-24-2014, 09:15 PM
I went sundayfished for three hours for cats no bites.i saw baby bass but no signs of bluegill. Great staff watere looked good.iw as tired on three hours of sleep,will try again.

gcopple
09-26-2014, 08:41 AM
There you go Glenn. Perfect opportunity! If either one of you guys see me don't hesitate to cruise up. I have an 18.5' Tracker with Megabass stickers all over it. I'm usually solo. Just don't dump down right on top of where I'm fishing but if you cruise in, I'm always willing to show you a little of what I'm doing. You can't miss me though, I'm the knucklehead you'll see driving all over the lake like a madman. Back and forth, Back and forth!

matt, me and you must look the same, i do the same thing...i like to jump around a lot. i have my spots i like and i just hop form one to the other until one of them starts to produce. i'm not that dialed in on timing so i just spot hop until me and the right timing run into each other. look forward to seeing you out on the lake one day...