PDA

View Full Version : Decent Day at the Mid - Lake Lice suck

FishingwithDave
09-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Solo mission to the Mid on Saturday was pretty decent, but would have been better had the lake lice not infested the lake late morning and jacked up my trolling paths.

First in line and started out looking for boils. Only found one and as fast as they started it stopped. So I dropped the trolling rigs and discovered that guys at the boat shop tweaked my boat's idle speed higher and I couldn't get my trolling speed down where I wanted it without disengaging and engaging the drive. Reluctantly, I engaged the Happy Troll plate and dropped the rigs again. It was a slow pick for the next couple of hours as I worked to get the speed and control dialed in with the troll plate. (I don't think the troll plate is designed for use above 2mph, IMO.) Finally got things figured out, found a good zone and began working it picking up 1-2 fish on most passes. Then the lake lice got out of control. Some dude in a pontoon boat with his kids on jet skis decides to park on the most productive point on my path, never mind that I had been working that area for the last 90 minutes. I worked around them, but the lake lice population continued to multiply and affect the fishing. At about 1:30, called it a day after reeling in a dink double, the only one of the day.

20 fish caught but everything was micro-dink to small schoolies. Did manage a limit, but I'm withholding the cooler shot photo!

I marked a lot fish in several areas of the lake and had it not taken me so long to get dialed in, I think I could have doubled my catch. Got some more experience and intel for the Jr Striper Slam. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there. If you're thinking about going, check out the sticky for more information and sign up. Kids are gonna have a blast and go home with some cool stuff!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?81033-2014-jr-striper-s-l-a-m!

FWD

dk4885
09-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Great report Dave. Let's hope the lice won't be so bad at jr event. Seems like a boat always parks on a productive point

Double A
09-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Nice Dave. Double limit on a weekend lice day is A-OK.

trail blazer
09-07-2014, 02:35 PM
That's what I'm talking bought, BAKO BOY double limit on a Saturday at the mid, WTG my baKO brother
TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
09-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Good trip Dave.. way to take the high road with the lice

ZipperWurm
09-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Nicely done! sounds like you had a good day minus the lice. Will be taking the gf out in the morning to try and get her first striper...hopefully the action continues :Big Grin:

trail blazer
09-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Nicely done! sounds like you had a good day minus the lice. Will be taking the gf out in the morning to try and get her first striper...hopefully the action continues :Big Grin:

mY gramps wants a shot at it also Zippy,,,Il see you in line.

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
09-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the report Dave.

I don't know what it is with those small fish at the Mid. I'd love to know where all those 3-4 lb fish from a couple years ago are. They must be toads by now.