PDA

View Full Version : ? On batterie hook up

Bonnie Beach
09-06-2014, 08:05 PM
In a small boat with 2 elect trolling motors I've always had only 1 hooked to the batterie @ a time. I was told it will drain the batt. New boat has plugs bow & stern with a batt storage & cover. Will it be ok to hook both motors (& a live well) @ the same time & leave that way for the time on the water :???:

P.A.W.
09-07-2014, 10:18 AM
If the accessories are not in use then there should be no draw an the batteries. However some things can have a slow draw. You can buy a cheapo volt meter and check for grey current.

Bonnie Beach
09-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks PAW for info I will use it. thanks

bassmeister
09-08-2014, 12:28 AM
What P.A.W. said there is a small draw of current to the switch. Kinda like leaving an appliance plugged in to the outlet at the house. Even though appliance isn't on there is a very small draw of current to the on switch so that when you turn it on the juice is there.

Bonnie Beach
09-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks bassmeister I understand what PAW was saying, or at least I thought thanks for confermation, we will find out this week. Plan is to run it the next 3 days & I'll do it both ways & see what the meters say. There's a meter on each motor & the box. I'll let ya know what I find. Thank you guys.

Bonnie Beach
09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Results, on the amp prob I read milli amps @ rest on both leads, under load on 1 motor (how much throttle) the amps on the unused motor do increase but it's almost nothing. Ran both hard & through the weeds to bog them down & the batterie held strong. 4 hours each day, came back with 60% charge left. The equipment of today is amazing. Tomorrow Ill run her again on a bigger body of water. Thanks again for your input guys!