PDA

View Full Version : Great to me you PAW

mizukry
09-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Haven't been fishing nearly enough lately. Live in LA, but been working in San Diego. Finally decided to take a day off and hit up Skinner on my way back to LA. Got to the lake at 6:15. Overcast. Looked like perfect striper weather. Hiked out to a shore fishing spot and started fishing about 6:30. Got a dink striper n the first hour and a green carp (released). Success!!! Any time I catch one or two fish from shore, I consider it a successful day. After that it's just enjoying the diversion from the day to day grind from work. Great just kicking back and enjoying the outdoors. Anyway back to fishing.... It slowed way down after the first hour. Around 11 a guy in a boat slows down in front of me and asks if I wanted some fish. With only one in the cooler it only took me a second to blurt out SURE!!! Much to my surprise the guy starts piling fish after fish into a net. He ended up giving me five. Wooow!!! Fish tacos for the whole family!!! I had a hunch, so I asked the guy if he was on any of the fishing forums. He said he was known as PAW on FNN!!! Pat, thanks so much for the fish and it's great finally putting a face to the author of all the great posts on what's happing at Skinner. I always look forward to reading your posts. They are always really informative and for a guy like me who only gets out once in a while, It really is great info. Much appreciated!!! Oh, before I left for the day, I did catch one more striper. Decent size.... I will try and get a picture in later today....
PAW, THANKS AGAIN!!!
Finally figured out how to attach a picture....

Harley51
09-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Way to go Pat

Big-Bob
09-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Way to go Pat!

Every time I ask people on shore if they want my by catch (stripers) they look at me like I'm trying to poison them and always decline. On Tuesday when the shore man declined I left them for the coyotes/raccoons.

TroutOnly
09-05-2014, 06:44 PM
good on you Patrick.....................

P.A.W.
09-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Well thanks guys. We can use all the fishing karma we can get right?

Good to meet you too Mizurky. I saw you setting up early in the am. When you were still there 5 hours later I knew you were in it for food. :Smile:
I still kept a few for some striper soup (my wife's new favorite).

DEVOREFLYER
09-05-2014, 08:42 PM
P.A.W the Striper soup thing has me curious as my experience with Striper is that it is very very mild, what do you use to spice/flavor it up? I have had a variety of fish/seafood soups/stews over the years and I have liked them all and you had no doubt in your mind that fish was in the pot. I can't wrap my head around a fish soup made with a very mild fish, tell me what I am missing. I think I am going to have to try it, got the recipe to share?

mizukry
09-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Spent the whole day there. For Food, relaxation and I just love to fish.... thanks again!

P.A.W.
09-06-2014, 06:57 AM
P.A.W the Striper soup thing has me curious as my experience with Striper is that it is very very mild, what do you use to spice/flavor it up? I have had a variety of fish/seafood soups/stews over the years and I have liked them all and you had no doubt in your mind that fish was in the pot. I can't wrap my head around a fish soup made with a very mild fish, tell me what I am missing. I think I am going to have to try it, got the recipe to share?

I was indeed thinking that since striper is mild that the soup itself should be able to stand on its own, with striper as an incidental ingredient.

1 can vegetable stock
1 can chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes (drained)
1 medium potato
1 white or yellow onion
2 Carrots
2 stalks celery
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp lemon juice
parsley or basil (fresh)
1 pound or so striper cut in 3/4 to 1 inch chunks
In a pot start by rough chopping onions, carrots, celery and sweating them down on medium heat with some oil. Do not brown, just slow sweat
About 1/2 way through this sweating add the minced garlic and cubed potato (3/4 inch) and finish the sweat
Then add the broth, oregano, and tomato and let it simmer. At 5 or 10 minutes taste it and add salt or pepper as desired.
When potatoes are almost done add the striper and lemon juice and cook til the fish is done (5 minutes)
Add a handful of fresh chopped basil or parsley for freshness and adjust seasoning one more time.

I served mine with a drizzle of good olive oil on top but that's optional

NFCD I
09-06-2014, 07:45 AM
I was indeed thinking that since striper is mild that the soup itself should be able to stand on its own, with striper as an incidental ingredient.

1 can vegetable stock
1 can chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes (drained)
1 medium potato
1 white or yellow onion
2 Carrots
2 stalks celery
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp lemon juice
parsley or basil (fresh)
1 pound or so striper cut in 3/4 to 1 inch chunks
In a pot start by rough chopping onions, carrots, celery and sweating them down on medium heat with some oil. Do not brown, just slow sweat
About 1/2 way through this sweating add the minced garlic and cubed potato (3/4 inch) and finish the sweat
Then add the broth, oregano, and tomato and let it simmer. At 5 or 10 minutes taste it and add salt or pepper as desired.
When potatoes are almost done add the striper and lemon juice and cook til the fish is done (5 minutes)
Add a handful of fresh chopped basil or parsley for freshness and adjust seasoning one more time.

I served mine with a drizzle of good olive oil on top but that's optional

That really sounds good Pat. My only question I have is where can I catch stripers big enough to get 1" chunks?

Dale

DEVOREFLYER
09-06-2014, 09:13 AM
P.A.W. many thanks for the recipe I have saved it and will now go begging all of my Striper buddys for the cull's. lol

Thanks again it sounds delicious with a little crusty French bread it should be the bomb this winter.

BassinPLS
09-06-2014, 09:02 PM
P.A.W.

Thanks from me too for the soup receipt. I'll have to give it a try. Now that I am retired, (and fish whenever I want), I do all the cooking!

ddoskocil
09-08-2014, 09:24 AM
What a great thread! Thanks guys. I'm sure this little storm here is getting those stripers fired up again!

panfishman
09-08-2014, 09:28 AM
I was out there with my wife in the rental gunning on boils pats cool he asked if i need some fish as well thanks again

Iflyforcarp
09-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the great post.

BTW, do I need a striper stamp to keep striper now days ?

P.A.W.
09-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Nope. Mater of fact I think the trout stamp is now included. Just the ocean enhancement and 2nd pole on mine.

mizukry
09-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Agreed. I just have an ocean enhancement and 2nd pole stamp also. Not sure if everyone is aware of a lifetime license. I got one about 20 years ago. At the time it cost about $400. Seemed like a lot at the time, but a friend convinced me that with the price of fishing licenses constantly going up, it will save me $s in the long run. So I scrimped and saved and finally got one. I'm glad I did. it's been saving me $s for the last several years. Looks like the price structure has doubled, but it is still a good investment if you plan to fish for 20 yrs. To get a license with a Ocean Enhancement and 2nd rod stamp today would cost $65. The lifetime cost varies depending on age (between &750 and $850). In about 13 years you break even and after that it is all savings. Actually as the prices goes up yearly you break even earlier.

Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/lifetime/