PDA

View Full Version : Anybody getting trout at DVL ... or is it all stripered out?

billy b
09-03-2014, 04:39 PM
What happened to the brownies?

GOOD FISHIN y'all

Brent
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
What happened to the brownies?

GOOD FISHIN y'all

Mr Stripy says.....Nom,Nom,Nom,Nom,Nom........Ummmmmmmmm tasty!

Brent

DarkShadow
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah, those things got eaten faster than real brownies at a stoner party.

Might as well have thrown them brown fingerlings into the frying pan.

HawgZWylde
09-04-2014, 01:37 PM
It's all Stripered out but I did catch this on a spinner bait in early July;

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/Hawgz_Wylde/bladebow_zpsd51882e4.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Hawgz_Wylde/media/bladebow_zpsd51882e4.jpg.html)

It's no holdover or Brownie but it was fun catching it never the less. This pic doesn't do it justice but it was just under 7lbs on our scale...

inthroughtheocean
09-04-2014, 06:20 PM
And the water temps this summer any greatly decreasing the chances of any other holdovers surviving.

chompot
09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
And the water temps this summer any greatly decreasing the chances of any other holdovers surviving.

WHAT!?? Maybe the surface temp. That lake is 180 feet deep. There is plenty of cooler water for them.

kwin
09-05-2014, 01:50 PM
the lake right now and since early July has been essentially 30-35 feet deep. The lake has stratified at 10 m with total anoxia below that. the thermocline is 1-2 meters thick where the h20 temp goes from 78 to 68 degrees in that space and DO (dissolved oxygen) goes from 9 mg/l to 0 mg/l in the same thickness. the cooler water where trout (and stripers) can thrive is extremely narrow or has no oxygen below it. I believe this phenomenon has happened over the last 2-3 years which limited the carrying capacity for species that prefer cooler water (trout and stripers). This is a natural phenomenon that occurs throughout the US, primarily in the southern states. The effects here are made worse by the drought conditions we are going through further reducing the amount of water in the reservoir further confining these species. Nothing can be done about it now but sit back and wait for the lake to turnover and mix the water column to a ubiquitous temperature and DO level.

seal
09-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Hell that was very informative! But not very good news.

Indo-angler
09-05-2014, 03:04 PM
the lake right now and since early July has been essentially 30-35 feet deep. The lake has stratified at 10 m with total anoxia below that. the thermocline is 1-2 meters thick where the h20 temp goes from 78 to 68 degrees in that space and DO (dissolved oxygen) goes from 9 mg/l to 0 mg/l in the same thickness. the cooler water where trout (and stripers) can thrive is extremely narrow or has no oxygen below it. I believe this phenomenon has happened over the last 2-3 years which limited the carrying capacity for species that prefer cooler water (trout and stripers). This is a natural phenomenon that occurs throughout the US, primarily in the southern states. The effects here are made worse by the drought conditions we are going through further reducing the amount of water in the reservoir further confining these species. Nothing can be done about it now but sit back and wait for the lake to turnover and mix the water column to a ubiquitous temperature and DO level.

Thanks for the info kwin.

Good to see you back on the board!

chompot
09-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Great info Kwin. I could see the thermocline pretty good on my graph about a month ago and it was pretty thick at 30 ft or so from what I can remember. Or at least I thought I was looking at the thermocline. lol

BassinPLS
09-07-2014, 06:49 AM

kwin,

Thank you for giving us an excellent report on the actual water conditions. It is great to read the actual facts and not just assumptions!

GdHkSet1
09-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I believe there are some hold overs down below still munching on bait. Back in OCT08 when the level was so low a few weeks before they shut down the lake I landed the 2nd largest holdover I ever caught at DV around 25 inch bow down 50ft using flashers/LC and NC middle west side dam area. I'll have to look at my tic stub but I wrote down water and air temp 1st week of oct, I love fall fishing at DV hope she stays open for awhile. Good luck if you go, I'll be in a white old crestliner bobbing around area of the west side to mid point

DarkShadow
09-15-2014, 10:14 AM

So, the drought 'confined' the brown trout's ability to thrive?

In other words, in periods of good rain fall when DVL is filled again, this will coincide with the resurgence of brown trout?

HuskerRod
09-16-2014, 08:35 AM
So, the drought 'confined' the brown trout's ability to thrive?

In other words, in periods of good rain fall when DVL is filled again, this will coincide with the resurgence of brown trout?

shadow,

I don't rain fall short of what noah encountered while finishing up the ark would do much of anything for the Brownie population at DVL

DarkShadow
09-16-2014, 09:00 AM
shadow,

I don't rain fall short of what noah encountered while finishing up the ark would do much of anything for the Brownie population at DVL

I just thought Kwin's response meant that the proliferation of the stockings of Brown trout didn't go so well because of the lowered lake conditions.

I didn't see anything in regards to predation, as I thought that would have been the biggest factor in the virtual elimination of browns at DVL.

kwin
09-22-2014, 08:14 AM
trout are confined to the cooler oxygenated H2O in and around the thermocline along with the striped bass that also prefer/require the same water quality. The thermocline has been progressively shallower and narrower over the last couple of years. When trout are confined to the same cell as bubba (stripers), things don't usually go so well. I figured that inference was a given, but I guess not.

Stormcrow
09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Kwin,

I'm glad to hear from you again. :-)

Come to my classroom and give a presentation on invasive species to my AP Bio kids??????

seal
09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
trout are confined to the cooler oxygenated H2O in and around the thermocline along with the striped bass that also prefer/require the same water quality. The thermocline has been progressively shallower and narrower over the last couple of years. When trout are confined to the same cell as bubba (stripers), things don't usually go so well. I figured that inference was a given, but I guess not.

Wow this is the exact reason I have asked multiple times (to you) for the plants at Silverwood to go back to alternating between the marina, cleghorn and miller. Cleghorn and Miller having water flow in them many years for most if not all of the year allowed the trout to hide from stripey (more oxygenated water) dumping them only at the marina, a deep spot where stripey could coral and kill trout before acclimation, has really destroyed the holdover trout population. A small move to what was the norm when it comes to stocking for many years would help holding over the trout.

I think you know this, please try again to get back to what was a successful strategy, thank you!