PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierras fishing advice

Mr T-rex
09-03-2014, 10:22 AM
First timer here and I am heading out with my brothers and dad to do some trout fishing! Trying to do some research as of which places to fish at because I do want to get them onto some nice trout, I am heading out September 27th and camping our for one night so just wondering which lake would be nice to camp at.

Any information from a fellow fisherman would be nice, Thanks
Mr T-rex

Matt44
09-03-2014, 12:15 PM
You really cant go wrong up there just depends how far north you want to go ...bishop ,rock creek, june loop, and mammoth are all great places to fish..ill be camping out in bridgeport that weekend just the start of late season brown hunting!!

Mr T-rex
09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I appreciate the information bro! I was actually thinking about fishing june lake and go from there

Matt44
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Thats a good spot for a first timer up there, you will definitely catch fish! You got grant silver and gull too if june is slow!

shinbob
09-03-2014, 02:26 PM
We've camped at both June and Silver Lakes, and for shore fishing, I much preferred Silver Lake. The campground there is right at the outlet, and it's a really good spot to fish from shore. Bring waders if you have them, and about 50-100 feet from the line of rocks a the outlet, on the campground side there's a point/dropoff. Always have a lot of luck in that area, just need to cast out a little past the dropoff. Drift unweighted nightcrawlers under a bobber if you're into bait fishing, or fan cast the usual lures (TBs, Kastmasters, SDs, etc...).

You'll catch mostly the standard DFG stockers, but the bigger ones are definitely there. My 8 year old daughter caught a 5-6lb Alpers there a number of years ago.

Plus there's a small general store and cafe within walking distance.

Mr T-rex
09-03-2014, 03:13 PM
I really appreciate the information fellas! im excited and ready for this trip that I have been planning for years
Hopefully I get into some fish

thanks Mr T-rex

simijab
09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
silver lake campground. that way you can fish silver lake and rush creek walking distance from the campground and also have some cool spots with in close driving distance

simijab
09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
I usually walk to the back side of silver about half way down and have pretty good luck everytime

simijab
09-04-2014, 08:43 AM
flows are pretty low this year in rush but this time of year is when the browns come up to spawn so migh want to try your luck near the mouth of the river at grant lake

simijab
09-04-2014, 08:44 AM
number 7 gold rapalas work great

jimmy
09-04-2014, 08:44 AM
do you have tubes? Do you fly fish? If you did, I would recommend fishing Crowley at the very north end of the lake. the good days you see double digit fish counts. You get Bows, Cutts, and Browns. Pulling streamers (woolly buggers) is awesome this time of year. Fish on average 2+ lbs. with some fish going 5-7 and 20 + inches.

Good luck.

Mr T-rex
09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Perfect I am thinking about fishing at different places through the whole day!
Keep the information coming I really appreciate all of the information

Matt44
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
If you fish crowley make sure you are barbless!! Also its still really early for the browns in rush but it doesn't hurt to try.

See Chris Fish
09-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Try Silver Lake on the June Lake Loop. That's my favorite lake up there.
Good luck and please post a report.

IncredibleHuck
09-04-2014, 01:57 PM
I would try Mammoth lakes. For the first time it's a great place to camp. Maybe camp out at Twin Lakes and tube there.

billy b
09-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Try Silver Lake on the June Lake Loop. That's my favorite lake up there.
Good luck and please post a report.

YGM

THANKS
bill

Mr T-rex
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I Appreciate the information fellas
we are ready to fish the sierras in the next two weeks

DEVOREFLYER
09-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Fishing at Crowley right now is nothing less than EPIC, best it's been in years. Hire a guide (Phil Therrien is my go to guy) http://sierradrifters.com/ you won't be sorry.

Mr T-rex
09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Finally made up my mind and we are setting camp at June lake.
we are going fish June Lake, Grant Lake, Silver lake, Gull lake and also rush creek
What do you guys think ?

DEVOREFLYER
09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Finally made up my mind and we are setting camp at June lake.
we are going fish June Lake, Grant Lake, Silver lake, Gull lake and also rush creek
What do you guys think ?

Better quality fish at Crowley but your gonna need a boat, tube, kayak or guide. Barbless artificial only.

fisherman951
09-12-2014, 01:03 PM
this is my bday weekend and would love to get up there also I'm looking at the guide services seems likes he's on his game

Mr T-rex
09-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Nice get out there
this is my bday weekend and would love to get up there also I'm looking at the guide services seems likes he's on his game

City Dad
09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
McGee Creek.

billy b
09-13-2014, 08:54 AM
See Chris Fish anywhere around ??? ... left you a message

Matt44
09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
I just got home from Lowe twin Bridgeport from some brown hunting. Turns out to be a rainbow fest. Water temp is 62-64 which is a little warm! Browns were lethargic and laying on the bottom. Seen lots of big arches down deep and school of kokanee stacked near the inlet. Kokes should be spawning in 2 weeks give or take. We need soem cold days and nights for that water temp to hover around 50 to 54 degrees so those browns Will start the pre spawn bite. Rainbows were hitting firetiger patterns at 4 to 5 colors, best lure by far was the speedy shiner I believe its called by thomas same maker as buoyants. Also the small countdown raps in firetiger. Biggest fish went 3 1/2 pounds. How was your trip trex?

Mr T-rex
09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the information buddy.
Havent went bro I am patiently waiting for the 27th to get here
Going to fish the june loop area

I just got home from Lowe twin Bridgeport from some brown hunting. Turns out to be a rainbow fest. Water temp is 62-64 which is a little warm! Browns were lethargic and laying on the bottom. Seen lots of big arches down deep and school of kokanee stacked near the inlet. Kokes should be spawning in 2 weeks give or take. We need soem cold days and nights for that water temp to hover around 50 to 54 degrees so those browns Will start the pre spawn bite. Rainbows were hitting firetiger patterns at 4 to 5 colors, best lure by far was the speedy shiner I believe its called by thomas same maker as buoyants. Also the small countdown raps in firetiger. Biggest fish went 3 1/2 pounds. How was your trip trex?

Matt44
09-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Thats right I forgot you had said the week of the 27th stupid me haha ill be up that week as well! Hopefully water temps are down so the fish are more active! Watch the weather if your are tent camping be prepared with warm clothes nights are chilly!!

KidTrout
09-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I'll be on the hunt for some big rainbows this coming weekend. This will be my last trip up there this year so I'm going to try and make it a good one. Little V, Mammie, Mary, Silver, Rush Creek, Convict, and Intake 2 will be getting fished in the day and a half I'll he up there.

Mr T-rex
09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Sounds good man cant wait for the trip to come already
Thats right I forgot you had said the week of the 27th stupid me haha ill be up that week as well! Hopefully water temps are down so the fish are more active! Watch the weather if your are tent camping be prepared with warm clothes nights are chilly!!

Mr T-rex
09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Nice bro. Silver, June, Gull, grant lake and rush creek will be fished by me
Cant wait im heading out Friday night and coming back sunday morning so plenty of fishing will be done

I'll be on the hunt for some big rainbows this coming weekend. This will be my last trip up there this year so I'm going to try and make it a good one. Little V, Mammie, Mary, Silver, Rush Creek, Convict, and Intake 2 will be getting fished in the day and a half I'll he up there.

billy b
09-15-2014, 06:11 PM

NICE GOIN ... how'd you ever get on to Speedy Shiner's ... I've never heard of them ...and which size?

THANKS

fisherman951
09-15-2014, 08:03 PM
sorry to thread jack but what would be the best lakes to fish from shore? i Don't have a tube and def no money for a boat. Would probably leave friday night also and come back sunday

KidTrout
09-15-2014, 08:15 PM
sorry to thread jack but what would be the best lakes to fish from shore? i Don't have a tube and def no money for a boat. Would probably leave friday night also and come back sunday

Hey Fisherman951 I mostly fish from shore just because I mainly only stay for a weekend so it will be a lot of hassle and wasting a lot of time taking my waders off and such. Every lake you can catch fish from shore but just not as many. My favorite lakes to fish are Little Virginia, June, Gull, Silver, Mary, Mammie, Intake 2, and convict. If your looking for more numbers of fish then definitely hit up Little Virginia or Intake 2. As well as Mammie and Mary. I like basically every lake up there. So many to choose from.

Matt44
09-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Virginia lakes is always pretty good from shore and you can get brooks and browns...upper twin Bridgeport has the cheapest boat rentals around 25 bucks for a half day..

Matt44
09-16-2014, 03:22 AM
Kelly who works in the baitshop at lower twin suggested it too me when the browns didnt wanna play. They paint the back of the buoyants gold and it absolutely kills. First time iv used them, the bows wouldn't stop biting them. Literally all day at 4 to 5 colors...not sure of the size as it was already out of its package because of them painting the backs ...

NICE GOIN ... how'd you ever get on to Speedy Shiner's ... I've never heard of them ...and which size?

THANKS

billy b
09-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Matt ... here ya go

C20 21/2" 1/6 oz
C21 31/4" 1/4 oz
C22 4" 3/8 oz

Think the bigger ones are best?

Matt44
09-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Id pick up a few in all the sizes in the patterns you like. They outfished firetiger rapalas and the firetiger buoyant spoons..seemed to be the only pattern they would hit this weekend. The backs of them are green paint them gold trust me!! I didnt pick up any other finishes, im up there alot so kelly just threw me one for free to try...

Matt ... here ya go

C20 21/2" 1/6 oz
C21 31/4" 1/4 oz
C22 4" 3/8 oz

Think the bigger ones are best?

Mr T-rex
09-17-2014, 09:34 AM
I heard that there is a fire going off in June Lake ?
does anyone have any information on that ?

Matt44
09-17-2014, 10:21 AM
It was above june close to Conway ranch but its already put out. I passed by it on the way up right as it started, no one on scene yet or anything. That was friday morning sunday afternoon they had alot of trucks on standby but the fire was out...unless it started back up you should be alright...

Mr T-rex
09-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Alright glad the fire is put out! Sucks to hear information like that

It was above june close to Conway ranch but its already put out. I passed by it on the way up right as it started, no one on scene yet or anything. That was friday morning sunday afternoon they had alot of trucks on standby but the fire was out...unless it started back up you should be alright...

Matt44
09-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah supposedly it was started by a motorist who blew a tire. Atleast thats what I read in the paper up there. It was supposed to be contained by yesterday. But 395 is open and it is above june so you Wil be alright.!!

Alright glad the fire is put out! Sucks to hear information like that

Mr T-rex
09-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Damn motorist! Ok cool I didn't want my trip to get ruined so glad everyone is safe and everything is ok
Thanks for the info

Yeah supposedly it was started by a motorist who blew a tire. Atleast thats what I read in the paper up there. It was supposed to be contained by yesterday. But 395 is open and it is above june so you Wil be alright.!!

billy b
09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I wonder if could just scratch off the back of the lures ... with maybe steel wool? Or ... may be easier to just buy a spray can ... and find a newspaper ... lol

Matt44
09-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Pretty sure its brass under...but they still had painted them gold...

I wonder if could just scratch off the back of the lures ... with maybe steel wool? Or ... may be easier to just buy a spray can ... and find a newspaper ... lol

billy b
09-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Are they selling them at the landing ... and are they painting them ( I wouldn't imagine so)

MonsterTackle.com looks like a pretty good source ... FWIW

Have you tried Tasmanians at all??? Pretty popular at Crowley is my undertanding

Mr T-rex
09-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Hoping that the fire at June lake gets put out! Planned a trip for next week and just wondering if it gets put out is it still safe to camp over there ? If not which other Sierra area can I set up camp similar to June lake loop, river and lakes to fish

Matt44
09-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Yo t Rex pack warm brother and don't forget the rain gear... 20% chance of showers Fri 80% sat and 20% sunday...it has also been windy this week! Perfect brown weather! Hoping for a light dusting of snow to send those brownies into gorge mode for the fall! Good luck up there man, I'm taking off tonight!

Mr T-rex
09-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah man I am packed and ready to fish the loop! We haven't got rain in So cali so I am pretty excited about the weather up there
Now you have me pumped haha I haven't caught a brown in over 3 years its about that time
Good Luck Bro hopefully you get into some brownies

Yo t Rex pack warm brother and don't forget the rain gear... 20% chance of showers Fri 80% sat and 20% sunday...it has also been windy this week! Perfect brown weather! Hoping for a light dusting of snow to send those brownies into gorge mode for the fall! Good luck up there man, I'm taking off tonight!