PDA

View Full Version : smb surf fishing

fishingboysdad
08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
First time shore fishing with my son.managed to catch about 8 small bsp, until we got kicked out by the lifeguard because he said we were putting the swimmers in danger even though there was no one closer than 50 feet either to the left or right of us. Well he said we cant fish within 100 yards from swimmers. Anyway he was stupid because he asked me if I had a fishing license( which I do) and asked me if I had passed the test...???I was like wtf? There is no test for a fishing license .anyway my son had fun

ityperx
08-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Tell em yeah you passed the test with flying colors and now you're a certified fisherman...

Edgar
08-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Cool ) i've gotten the same thing from 2 lifeguards before . Except in my case the guy didn't even know we needed a fishing liscence to fish.
Have yoouuu passed the test ? :)))

fishingboysdad
08-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Edgar and ityperx u guys r funny.yeah I passed the test but it was graded on a curve.

bachiboy
08-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Too funny...makes you wonder if he actually passed his test to become a lifeguard.:Rolls Eyes: Glad you were able to get your son on some fish. Nice goin' dad!:Wink:

Don

DockRat
08-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Ask him if he knows what the test is. Lol.
Sounds like a rookie.
DR

SP Dan
08-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi ya fishingboysdad,

The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to be considerate and make friends with all of the Authorities along the way.

I've been approached by the Trails Warden who asked to see my license which I did (not their jurisdiction to enforce), the Sheriff who told me that I couldn't fish in a particular area and I stopped (not their jurisdiction to enforce) and Life Guards with same story and I stopped (not their jurisdiction enforce), they were doing their job ... protecting the swimmers and surfers ... I was good with it.

May I suggest .... if you are going to fish the public beaches where there are swimmers and surfers ..... learn the rules of that particular beach and try to abide by them ..... makes life simple.

I always carry the Fishing Regulations with me every where I go so that there is no misinterpretation.

A few years ago a few of my SWAT Brotha's and I were stopped by our Fish and Wildlife Warden- Cory Collins (a great guy), he approached us and stopped us for a chat. He said that "he did not actually see us fishing ..... so he was not allowed to ask to see our fishing license but because we had backpacks on our backs and fishing gear in hands, he said that he was within the law to ask us to open and show him the inside of our backpacks" ...... and we did. He was polite to us and we were also polite to the Warden. It was a good experience and also good to know that the Wardens are out there stopping poachers.

Some times people do have a tendency to over step their authority .... I say pick your battles .... make friends when you can and carry the Fishing Regulations with you.

PS ..... your son sounds like a natural in the surf ..... (8) eight BSP .... tell him from me ..... Way to go!" :Thumbs Up:

I hope to see you (in the Derby), your son (in the Derby) and your family at the up coming HG-6 Event! :Cool:

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><

fishingboysdad
08-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks. For the reply Dan.I actually wasn't a jerk to the lifeguard.I actually kept the "wtf" thing in my head.but i actually got kinda upset because its not like I came and planted myself next to swimmers.I was there since 7 a.m...and there was no one within 50 feet either way when he approached me.as far as I know, Santa Monica is a public beach and that means everyone has accessto it. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything in the dfg rules regarding that situation. If I am wrong then maybe someone can show me where to look.

fishingboysdad
08-31-2014, 08:35 PM
@ sp dan..
we are planning on going to the event and bringing my nephew too.still waiting for reply from wingnut.hope to meet a lot of fellow fnn members there

murrieta angler
09-01-2014, 07:51 AM
How you doing FBD,
Good job getting your Son on some fish.
As far as the lifeguard, yeah, what Dan said.
If you go enough times, they see that you practice safe casting and normally won't bother you after that.
Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing the 3 of you at HG6,
Robert
<><

fishingboysdad
09-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks robert