PDA

View Full Version : Rental trolling round 6 .... lesson in futility

catchingsomefish
08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Normally I work Saturdays, my brother in law is down from Seattle, and his son in law is in from Phoenix, and wanted to go fishing. Got there early, got to see Bassfan, Jim, finally got to meet Khahn of KPN fame in person, and Dan, DMS....chatted a while prior to being allowed in....lumbered out to the spot with 3 in the rental, and from what I here, the brief boils were over well before we made it out there....Got to trolling, and what I saw on the graph made me salivate like Pavlovs Dog, bait, and more bait, fish stacked in bait, endless schools.......6 color changes and 2 1/2 hours later, finally a hookup!, I let my brother in law bring it in and it gets farmed, oh well he is new at this, so onward we go..... A couple more color changes and bang a good hookup, a double which I put on board, I was getting thirsty, and when I go out with Bob, the rule is no drinks until a fish is on board....I carry on the tradition in the rental, makes you concentrate more.....I swear I could have snagged fish as thick as they were stacked up, but once again, I couldn't get them to go....Even tried two Bako Boy variants....nothing.....No offense guys, I probably wasn't doing the Bako thing properly, as I am from the AV, LOL We got one more hookup, which was farmed again as I was trying to let the fellows try to get in on what little action we encountered.....Then the wind picked up, was going to check out the ski arm, but it was whitecap city as the wind was coming out of the north,at a pretty good clip. so we called it a day, no skunk, but a really weak performance for sure on my part......I tried 8 different colors, got struck on 3 of those, switched levels continuously to match the depths the schools were at, and I left pretty frustated.....Oh yeah, saw Ron Fishinone also......Have a safe holiday weekend everyone!.......................Dave

ZipperWurm
08-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the report! too bad you couldnt get more fish in the boat but at least u beat the :Skunk:. How were the crowds? i was thinking about going out this weekend....but the holiday is making me think i should just go hunt dove on monday instead, lol

trail blazer
08-30-2014, 05:50 PM
WTG DAVE on getting others out on the water,,,,,,,,,even if it wasn't slaying ,,,,it was still fishing,,,I WAS WORKING lol.

TRAIL BLAZER

catchingsomefish
08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the report! too bad you couldnt get more fish in the boat but at least u beat the :Skunk:. How were the crowds? i was thinking about going out this weekend....but the holiday is making me think i should just go hunt dove on monday instead, lol
The crowds today really were not too bad, the wind was a different story, coming straight down the ski arm, I kinda wanted to go check out that part of the lake, whitecaps changed my mind for me........Dave

catchingsomefish
08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
WTG DAVE on getting others out on the water,,,,,,,,,even if it wasn't slaying ,,,,it was still fishing,,,I WAS WORKING lol.

TRAIL BLAZER

I usually work on Sats also Scott, but with relatives in town we decided to attempt to fish, LOL..................Dave

DMS
08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
We barely beat the skunk today and cut out losses early as they didn't want to go, it was really hot, windy and crowded. We try the ski arm too and fought the wind a bit to look and ran back. Good seeing you and the gang.

cutbait
08-31-2014, 05:13 AM
Like Tb said, can't win them all.

Youre batting like .900 and that's outstanding

Stumpknocker
08-31-2014, 06:58 AM
No shame in having a tough day in bad conditions...and as you said, no skunk!

TroutOnly
08-31-2014, 07:49 AM
it's called fishing not catching dave , you know how hard it is at times to find fish that want the lures .sometimes the fish are biting in the area you don't work, kinda like the guy that says I don't fish that area cause I don't catch there ...........we wacked them at pyramid in an area that doesn't usally produce,but we kinda had to try the area because of the boat traffic .at least I know you know what to look for in youre search...........and youre not relying on dumb-luck trolling like some of these self proclaimed trolling experts on this site do............I'll come by the shop and cheer you up..............

Bassfan
08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Dave, It was good to have a little time to talk before the open and we were both hoping for better reports when meeting up on the lake.
It was the toughest day for quite a while even though the crowds were more like a normal Saturday, the heat and wind didn't help.
Khahn and I were first in line and first to the boil area and picked up a quick 3 but then the boils were not that often and the trolling was tough for us also.
Tried bait and got the big one for the day @3 lb.
We worked hard for 6 fish each, one was a throwback and one was GREEN !!

catchingsomefish
08-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Dave, It was good to have a little time to talk before the open and we were both hoping for better reports when meeting up on the lake.
It was the toughest day for quite a while even though the crowds were more like a normal Saturday, the heat and wind didn't help.
Khahn and I were first in line and first to the boil area and picked up a quick 3 but then the boils were not that often and the trolling was tough for us also.
Tried bait and got the big one for the day @3 lb.
We worked hard for 6 fish each, one was a throwback and one was GREEN !!
Jim, it was good seeing you,and I didnt see too many people catching anything yesterday, you saw the graph, it looked like a striper convention, with shad everywhere, perhaps they were stuffed from prior days of gorging??? Even with the winds and the crowds, getting out on the water, seeing some friends, life is good.......................Dave

DMS
08-31-2014, 12:13 PM
it's called fishing not catching dave , you know how hard it is at times to find fish that want the lures .sometimes the fish are biting in the area you don't work..............e

Yep bob, lulu says those days make her really appreciate the banner days. We got out, had fun, saw some friends, tried some things, beat the skunk and made it an early day. Had fun playing guitar in the afternoon instead of fighting the wind, but after getting 32 last week, barely beating the skunk is a big change. Next time we will whack them good.

fishinone
09-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Nice seeing you out there Dave.

Lowe and I found dinky fish boiling and couldn't hook up after a late start getting an inspection etcetera.

We tried trolling por nada but the fish were on all the right spots.

Then we picked up Jadeyo at the dock and got some lug worms at the rental office.

After a false start (We anchored up in a spot where the lake lice were coming to anchor up and interfere.)Sorry our bad, we should have anticipated this.) We set up in a spot that's been holding fish for days. Then it was on. I caught a limit +, Lowe caught 7 or 8 and Jadeyo got 4 or 5.

We kept 22 from 3/4 to 2 lb. and threw back some even smaller ones.

catchingsomefish
09-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Thats good news Ron! I think I have been ruined by Bob, in terms of moving around with the trolling, plus it is difficult to moor up and anchor with the little boats, although I have two spools of 250' of rope. two good anchors, and two good heavy anchor chains.......Pulling those things up after a day of fishing is another story however.....My personal trainer never worked me out as hard as those damn anchor setups, LOL.....................Dave