PDA

View Full Version : Various asian fish recipes

gravity84
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm noticing a lot of deep fried battered fish and fish taco recipes, so I thought I'd add some easter flavor to the mix. I'll add more and more as time goes by but these are some of my fish mainstays.

Wok Fried (insert fish here) with ginger and green onions.

This is one of my favorite recipes to make with fish. Marinate the fish for 30 minutes in Shaoxing Rice Wine (go to Ranch 99 or some other asian market) and soy sauce about a 2:1 ratio. Heat wok or frying pan and add oil (or use non stick and omit this for a healthier meal). Wait until oil begins to barely smoke (key step in all chinese cooking, DO NOT wait until smoke for nonstick, because that smoke is actually poisonous). Remove fish from marinade and stir fry, this can be done with whole fillets as a pan sear or in chunks more like a traditional stir fry. Cook until done. Remove and plate. Deglaze pan with a mixture of about 1/3 of a cup of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sugar, jullienned ginger and scallions (a generous amount), a dash of nanami togarashi (if desired) and a dash of sesame oil. Serve with jasmine rice.

Grilled (insert fish here) with a sesame, scallion and cilantro relish.
Same as above but grilled instead of pan fried, and topped with a mixture of scallions, sesame seeds, and cilatro tossed with sesame oil.
Here is a picture of it done with mahi mahi and served with fried rice
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/gtrwndr87/SUC50003-1.jpg

Broiled Saba (Mackerel)
This is posted mostly because people have this bizarre hate for mackerel. This is actually quite tasty, and you can find it on almost any japanese menu.

Marinate Mackerel fillets in about a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of mirin (japanese sweet rice wine, ranch 99 or oriental market again), about a tablespoon of sugar, and about a 1/2 tablespoon of minced ginger (FRESH PLEASE). Let marinate for about 30 minutes and remove from marinade. Broil or grill until cooked. Serve over calrose (short grain) rice or sushi rice.

That's all I have time for for now, more in the future!

Still to come (off the top of my head):
Stir Fried (insert fish here) with Black Bean Sauce
Deep Fried (insert fish here) with spicy garlic sauce
and more!

I guess I can leave this open for the other asians on the thread to add their recipes, so please do so!

Troutman65
10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
:shock: OMG That looks so tasty. Thanks for posting your recipies. I like Asian style foods. Your plate of food pictured makes me so hungry. Please post more recipies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Troutman65