PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 8/28 Wide open on Stripers/horrible trash problem

b_bspk
08-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Decided to do some Early morning fishing thursday morning

We go to the lake and parked around 1:15AM We decided we would hit that first turn off, near millers. We haven't tried that spot in probably 3 years because the fear of our cars getting broken into ( which has happened to me twice there) So we start our hike and head towards the lake. If any of you are familiar with this spot, you pass that creepy/cool cave on the way and i was absolutely shocked, I noticed quite a bit of trash before we got to the cave, but the damn thing is LITERALLY compacted with all sorts of crop from the beginning to the end, all it was missing was a sign above it saying " Want AIDS? come in" So the whole hike down its pretty trashy, but then we get to our spot and We were fishing around the shore until we got to the cove where we did well before, there is a little section where its sandy and it looked like someone had dumped a few truck loads of trash there, it was terrible to see... From now on, Im going to take a couple of trash bags with me to at least pick up trash near the water.

Anyways, Within the first 30 mins, the cover went nuts, first the shad starting jumping out of the water, then the stripers were in a frenzy, we were both using rattle traps, we probably landed 15 decent 1-2 pounders in 10 or so mins, I lost a huge one at one point, it snapped my line, never fought a stronger fish than that at silverwood before. After that, it slowed a bit, So i switched to a top water lure to no avail, then i decided to try a thomas buoyant trout lure and it was pretty wide open on that, until i got it caught on a rock or something and lost it and we decided to leave :Crying::Crying::Crying:

All in all, twas a very good night, beautiful , clear sky and the water was warm enough to stand in whilist fishing. Besides getting angry at the trash, Ill be coming back a few nights a week until it gets too cold! Sorry for the lack of pics!

seal
08-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Too cold? I wish for the cold keeps away the trash makers. Did you notice how big the shad were back there, curious? At the end of the summer insanity season the lake is completely trashed, no way to keep up with the trash kp. After Labor day they will sweep the lake and it will look a little better except in those far away areas like you described, that's years worth of crap.

Good job on the stripers!

Kliston7
08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello, I'm heading up there tomorrow and will be taking my boat, this will be my first time there and was wondering if you recommend anchoring at the inlet or in millers canyon?
Thanks for the help!

Baja1ab
08-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Hello, I'm heading up there tomorrow and will be taking my boat, this will be my first time there and was wondering if you recommend anchoring at the inlet or in millers canyon?
Thanks for the help!

I slayed it at the inlet a couple of weeks ago - about 45-60' of water is just right. Light line, c-rig style and cut them in medallions so there's guts in the center (oh, and make sure they're frozen). That seemed to be the ticket. Those around us weren't having nearly the success we were.

Good luck!

b_bspk
08-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Too cold? I wish for the cold keeps away the trash makers. Did you notice how big the shad were back there, curious? At the end of the summer insanity season the lake is completely trashed, no way to keep up with the trash kp. After Labor day they will sweep the lake and it will look a little better except in those far away areas like you described, that's years worth of crap.

Good job on the stripers!

ahhh I see, makes sense. I wish the rangers would be out there enforcing a little better, it's very depressing seeing that. They were any where half an inch i would say to an inch, but they were literally Everywhere, it was crazy, I've never seen it like that before, they were boiling all over.

Thank you, sir!

b_bspk
08-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the help!

Like Baja said, The Inlet is where i've always had luck on DD there, chovies and rattle traps do the trick there at the inlet, I've personally never fished millers before! Good luck and let us know how it goes!