PDA

View Full Version : balboa lake report (encino) am sesh

drc521
08-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Had appointments in van nuys at 630am. As usual I have all my equipment on me. Headed to balboa lake for the first time and spoke to some old timers about the fishing. Apparently tilapia have taken over the lake (they were not wrong). Saw schools boiling on the surface from 830-11. Assuming there were LM in the lake, threw cranks and got nothing. Saw bigger fish jumping and caught nothing. Switched to a dropshot and nothing. I figure 5-8 feet deep, from the shore. Settled on a tiny fluke and pulled up some tilapia. It is HOT outside. Beats working or traffic I suppose! There are a million people here considering it is a weekday. Only saw about 6 or 7 anglers on the tiny lake

troutdog
08-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Tilpaia are THICK right now, couple of small carp mixed in...haven't seen anything else caught there in years (except aquarium plecostomus) You ever catch bass there? I would think you have a better shot in the LA river or golf course near by! Thanks for posting up.

TD

wrestlefish
08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Not saying I would but how may talapia are you allowed to keep in a single day?

Vinh
09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
10 and theres nothing wrong with keeping them. If you look at the fish advisories in online or the DFG handout there is none for Lake Balboa. Tilapia and Carp are the only things biting now.

troutdog
09-01-2014, 12:28 PM
The size of the tilapia really don't warrant taking, they are palm sized at best.....personally I wouldn't eat anything out of there as it's reclaimed water, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt ya!

FishStix anyone!? :Wink:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/making%20room/atilap_zpscf2b0413.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/troutdog_photobucket/media/making%20room/atilap_zpscf2b0413.jpg.html)

TD

drc521
09-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Heh nice. I didn't have much luck with anything bigger than my palm either. But.. Did you see the sizes of those schools? Lol.

Vinh
09-01-2014, 02:01 PM
That is true but if someone wants to eat them let them. I rather eat fish from reclaimed water than fish living near storm drains or sewage runoff this means fished from the pier or fished close to shore. You know the restrooms at the end of the pier drain directly into the ocean right.I wouldn't eat them mainly due to size . The bigger ones are on the bottom I have caught ones double or triple the size of your lunker lol.

troutdog
09-01-2014, 06:12 PM
That is true but if someone wants to eat them let them. I rather eat fish from reclaimed water than fish living near storm drains or sewage runoff this means fished from the pier or fished close to shore. You know the restrooms at the end of the pier drain directly into the ocean right.I wouldn't eat them mainly due to size . The bigger ones are on the bottom I have caught ones double or triple the size of your lunker lol.

I'm not going to stop someone from eating what they want, but if I have an extra pb&jelly in my backpack I will kindly offer it up instead....congrats on your trophy tilapia btw, I can't wait to see the mount! :Wink:

TD

SO818CAL
09-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Tilpaia are THICK right now, couple of small carp mixed in...haven't seen anything else caught there in years (except aquarium plecostomus) You ever catch bass there? I would think you have a better shot in the LA river or golf course near by! Thanks for posting up.

TD

Is there any bass in the LA River before Sepulveda Dam?

Ifishtoolittle
09-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Man if there still is a LMB population in there they should be thriving with all those protein rich fish!

Vinh
09-01-2014, 09:53 PM
TD I hear you man and Ill take you up on the jelly sandwich. Ill post a pic next time I catch one just fish the bottom the big ones tend to travel in small schools so if you catch a few chances are there aren't any more in that same spot. I don't eat the fish there but if someone wants to let them and I am glad you understand that. Good fishing buddy

troutdog
09-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Is there any bass in the LA River before Sepulveda Dam?

I don't really fish the River, although I walked that area a few times I didn't see anything aside from a few some small baitfish. A few spots might be worth checking out if you were in a yak or canoe though.

TD

SO818CAL
09-03-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm surprised you were able to see anything in that water, lol. It's a dark OD green. Maybe one day I'll throw a drop shot rig in there an see what comes out.

Stormcrow
09-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I wonder what those tilapia are feeding on boiling like that???? Are there baitfish in that lake?

drc521
09-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Cannibalism lol. So many sizes of tilapia

Ifishtoolittle
09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Cannibalism lol. So many sizes of tilapia

That's very likely the case.

DarkShadow
09-04-2014, 04:38 PM
The bigger ones are on the bottom I have caught ones double or triple the size of your lunker lol.

2.5 lbs is the biggest i've got outta there, with the majority being in the 1 to 2 pound range.

I'm sure CityDad can attest to the pics he saw.

;-)

troutdog
09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I wonder what those tilapia are feeding on boiling like that???? Are there baitfish in that lake?

I haven't seen any baitfish, but I think the surface activity is from the smaller models eating particles of floating algae (if you run out of worms, wrap a chunk of that green slime on a hook and watch what happens), in addition there are TONS of small plecostomus in that body of water and they seem to "come up for air" in droves. When the water was clearer last fall I was able to see them very well.

Seems to be the average size for the better grade of tilapia right now....although yesterday I lost a fatty because I don't bother with a net when I go these days.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/making%20room/atilap_zps6a7aa2b2.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/troutdog_photobucket/media/making%20room/atilap_zps6a7aa2b2.jpg.html)

Get the kids out there while the bite is hot!

TD

SO818CAL
09-05-2014, 10:22 PM
That's a nice sized one TD. You ever catch a big carp or catfish? I personally haven't caught a big carp there, but I have caught one in a different body of water and I enjoyed the fight.

tommibear
09-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Was out there this afternoon... it was hot out there! Both fishing and the weather.

Tons of baby tilapia and carp - they bite on anything on the hooks! If you use two small hooks, the "combo" hookups are pretty fun to bring up.

Just bring lots of water to drink.

City Dad
09-08-2014, 10:40 AM
2.5 lbs is the biggest i've got outta there, with the majority being in the 1 to 2 pound range.

I'm sure CityDad can attest to the pics he saw.

;-)

City Girl says she's sick of you blowin' up her lake!!!
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/Tilapia/CIMG5478.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/timmeinhart/media/Tilapia/CIMG5478.jpg.html)

We've been going out there since the kids could hold a rod. Mostly tilapia with some small carp thrown in. Though we've seen some decent carp come out of there - maybe 8+ lbs - we've never caught one. There are massive numbers of plecos and occasionally we snag one in the tail and the fight is on. We once saw a guy with a 13" oscar in a bucket and a few years back someone posted a pic of a gigantic pacu they'd caught outta there.

overall size of the tilapia seems to be on the decline, but there are still lots of them.

I suspect the boils can be attributed to a relatively new population of green sunfish. I go out to practice fly casting every so often and the last couple of years have caught lots of tiny greens. They are very aggressive. Also, the plecos will regularly come up to gulp air. Never come across a bass in ten years.

If, somehow, some peacock bass were accidentally introduced into that lake, I'd think it might be quite interesting... just sayin'

troutdog
09-08-2014, 11:00 AM
That's a nice sized one TD. You ever catch a big carp or catfish? I personally haven't caught a big carp there, but I have caught one in a different body of water and I enjoyed the fight.

Thanks! The only cat I ever caught looked like an aquarium variety (tiny) and all the carp have been under 12 inches...still a good place to get away for a couple hours.

TD

Vinh
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I have caught a channel cat out of there it was a small fingerling about 2 months ago. Because I haven't caught another one I cant say if someone released it in there or they are self reproducing in that lake. I caught him by the waterfall if anyone is interested

Ifishtoolittle
09-08-2014, 04:36 PM
City Girl says she's sick of you blowin' up her lake!!!
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/Tilapia/CIMG5478.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/timmeinhart/media/Tilapia/CIMG5478.jpg.html)

We've been going out there since the kids could hold a rod. Mostly tilapia with some small carp thrown in. Though we've seen some decent carp come out of there - maybe 8+ lbs - we've never caught one. There are massive numbers of plecos and occasionally we snag one in the tail and the fight is on. We once saw a guy with a 13" oscar in a bucket and a few years back someone posted a pic of a gigantic pacu they'd caught outta there.

overall size of the tilapia seems to be on the decline, but there are still lots of them.

I suspect the boils can be attributed to a relatively new population of green sunfish. I go out to practice fly casting every so often and the last couple of years have caught lots of tiny greens. They are very aggressive. Also, the plecos will regularly come up to gulp air. Never come across a bass in ten years.

If, somehow, some peacock bass were accidentally introduced into that lake, I'd think it might be quite interesting... just sayin'

I miss your Tilapia posts City Dad. They were some fun reads.

Would you happen to know if the tilapia bite year round at Balboa? It seems that reports of them kinda die down around the colder months.

Oh and is the lake usually quite warm? Is there a heating source in the lake? It could explain for how these tropical fish manage to survive in our "cold" Socal winters.

City Dad
09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I miss your Tilapia posts City Dad. They were some fun reads.

Would you happen to know if the tilapia bite year round at Balboa? It seems that reports of them kinda die down around the colder months.

Oh and is the lake usually quite warm? Is there a heating source in the lake? It could explain for how these tropical fish manage to survive in our "cold" Socal winters.

I'm afraid City Girl and her sister have out-grown trips to the local algea hole with their old dad - all they wanna go after is grande surf perch or 'cudda and calicos on the plastics! (unless we're taking a crew of younger first-timers out - they love doing that as much as I do)

We've fished over there year 'round and have found the late summer to be the best for the tilapia by far. some time in December the off switch seems to get tripped and not much happens until late July or August.

I think the water remains a constant warm-ish temp because it all goes through a treatment plant. If you look closely you'll see all manner of tank escapees - even turtles. I'm just hoping for some African or S. American cichlids to get tossed in there... how cool would that be?

Ifishtoolittle
09-08-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm afraid City Girl and her sister have out-grown trips to the local algea hole with their old dad - all they wanna go after is grande surf perch or 'cudda and calicos on the plastics! (unless we're taking a crew of younger first-timers out - they love doing that as much as I do)

We've fished over there year 'round and have found the late summer to be the best for the tilapia by far. some time in December the off switch seems to get tripped and not much happens until late July or August.

I think the water remains a constant warm-ish temp because it all goes through a treatment plant. If you look closely you'll see all manner of tank escapees - even turtles. I'm just hoping for some African or S. American cichlids to get tossed in there... how cool would that be?

lol That's a true angler there! You must be proud.

Hmm... figures. Darn warm water loving Tilapia. Still, it's great how we have a lake chocked full of these cichlids.

If the water can maintain a stable temp year round I wouldn't be too surprised if other pet fish manage to survive in there. Crossing my fingers for Peacock bass and Oscars!

SO818CAL
09-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I have caught a channel cat out of there it was a small fingerling about 2 months ago. Because I haven't caught another one I cant say if someone released it in there or they are self reproducing in that lake. I caught him by the waterfall if anyone is interested
I saw someone pull out a decent sized carp in that area.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
09-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Theres big fish in there , a friend of mine about 2 years back caught a 15 lb cat and released it.

FishTaco818
10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I was at the lake the last two weeks with my little 2 year old and the bite was non-stop. Fly-line or drop shot a piece of nightcrawler or bread with constant movement to make it float and fall, and game on. There was loads of tilapia from the palm sized ones to ones the size of the little girl's fish in the pic. I'm not lying when I say there were schools of up to 50 small fish with some bigger lurkers in the mix. I haven't fished the waterfall area but I would love to test it out on another trip.

On the river side, it was also non-stop with fish boiling. I have seen on average one bass every trip to the river but they never seem to take on anything. So yes, there are bass in the river, just rare. I have seen two people this Summer kayaking the river behind Balboa Lake. The more common species from the river is tilapia, big fatty carp, bluegills, and bullhead catfish. Last time I was there I used 2 rods and was dancing back and forth trying to reel in fish because it was non-stop action about 2 weeks ago.

I am afraid once the warm weather dies down (now and very soon) the bite will be gone until the next hot hot hot hot weather pattern.

P.S. I only fish with my youngster at Balboa Lake, not the river. Once a little boy fell in the river on one of my trips, because of the sandy banks, and I wouldn't my youngster falling in that gunk. It was only a few feet deep where he fell but a few more yards out it is deeper and has faster currents. His dad pulled him out of the river by the way.

fshnritchey
10-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Balboa is absolutely littered with gambusia also known as mosquito fish, they are a small guppy. Perfect food for voracious tilapia.

City Dad
10-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Took a buddy of mine and his son out for the kid's first fish at Balboa this Saturday.

The fabled Encino Algae Hole didn't disappoint. Plenty of palm-sized tilapia falling for the old bit o' nightcrawler trick.

Good times

and oh, yeah, lots of coots on the water eager to be-tangle themselves in a line while taste-testing a bobber.

DarkShadow
10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Plenty of palm-sized tilapia falling for the old bit o' nightcrawler trick.

Better than the ole banana in the tail pipe trick, I say.

FishTaco818
10-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Took my boy out today after work to catch a few by the waterfall, and like you said it didn't disappoint. We caught a few tilapia, and as soon as we landed a bigger one, my 2-year old son decided to take off on me running after the birds. These giant herons (which were bigger than him) with long razor sharp beaks freaked me out. Any time I would cast out my son wanted to run away and chase the birds (which were feet from us stalking us). I made the mistake of throwing a small fry we caught to the birds and visually seeing how easy it was for the birds to puncture a hole through the fish and have it go halfway up their beaks (again, razor sharp) freaked me out again. We moved from that spot and caught a few more, but he got more running in then fishing on this trip.

Overall, it still equaled one happy dad.